Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume SCTY would react roughly in conjunction with TSLA? Assuming TSLA rises on deliveries, couldn't this be interpreted by many as a greater chance the merger goes through?

Also- curious, how are you positioning with SCTY? I'm in some J'17's. My risk appetite is holding strikes of mainly 20's and some 21's, 22's, and a bit of 26's for the hell of it. Still unsure of how long I'll hold these if things go well next week.

I wonder how low the discount will get as time progresses. Obviously there's bound to be SOME discount before the results are announced.
Just look at today's price action gives you very little confidence it will until we are days away.

I'm not in options just regular stock shares. Picked up 50 TSLA yesterday afternoon and 2000 SCTY couple weeks ago.

Reactions: TrendTrader007
If Solar City kisses $19.00 again I'm loading up. Why it's still trading at a discount is beyond me.

Also, love the A8. I had a 2004 and 2007 A8L. Other than them being over-engineered turds that would break down if you looked at them sideways, they were incredible machines. I miss my B&O system.
It's engine out or bumper off to change a light bulb... 100K miles now and just replaced the air suspension. My most dependable car of Mercedes and BMW.

Reactions: TrendTrader007
Exactly why I support TSLA buying SCTY.

Except that this is exactly the opposite? This is a third party that sources Powerwalls and integrates it with their own backend, software and solar panels. If Tesla would bring their own competing offer to the Dutch market, the integrator has a strong incentive to source their panels and batteries everywhere except with Tesla.

Reactions: Seesaw
Except that this is exactly the opposite? This is a third party that sources Powerwalls and integrates it with their own backend, software and solar panels. If Tesla would bring their own competing offer to the Dutch market, the integrator has a strong incentive to source their panels and batteries everywhere except with Tesla.
Why are you assuming that a third party can deny market share to an integrated company like TE/SCTY?

No!

The integrator will have a strong incentive to use the Tesla integrated solution. Solar roof, powerwall, and invertor.

Reactions: landis and TMSE
No!

The integrator will have a strong incentive to use the Tesla integrated solution. Solar roof, powerwall, and invertor.

Actually, I believe an integrator will be squeezed out of the picture altogether (as far as Tesla System is concerned). TE will have no more incentive to sell the solar/battery system to an integrator than TA to sell self-driving Model 3 to Uber...

Where is Adam Jonas (to ask a question) when you need him??

Getting PARANOID about TSLA stock action. Trying to understand two events. One is that some big investors are taking a beating paying high interest rates to short Tesla just prior to a well understood record quarter. The other observation is the lack of significant up volume leading up to what should be a stellar Q3 delivery report on Monday.

Myself and others in this thread have opined in the past that large corporate interests are working to defeat Tesla in what ever way they can. One way is to constantly pound on the stock price. This might be happening! An orchestrated effort to diminish TSLA, even at a great cost in interest payments. A failed investment thesis, but possibly worth the cost in order to diminish Tesla and thereby maintain the current use level of carbon in energy production and transportation.

This kind of action discourages new longs and contributes to stock price fatigue in existing longs. If this scenario is correct, the solution might be to shine a light on the shorts. Who are the shorts? Is there some way to know? Can they hide behind their brokerage houses?

Considering all of this, I am becoming less optimistic about the stock price next week, even with great Q3 delivery numbers. I do not know of a better investment thesis than being long in TSLA. Great cars, new products, new factories, new technology, fantastic growth, but no significant increase in the stock price (even after dilution) in three years. Why?

Getting PARANOID about TSLA stock action. Trying to understand two events. One is that some big investors are taking a beating paying high interest rates to short Tesla just prior to a well understood record quarter. The other observation is the lack of significant up volume leading up to what should be a stellar Q3 delivery report on Monday.

Myself and others in this thread have opined in the past that large corporate interests are working to defeat Tesla in what ever way they can. One way is to constantly pound on the stock price. This might be happening! An orchestrated effort to diminish TSLA, even at a great cost in interest payments. A failed investment thesis, but possibly worth the cost in order to diminish Tesla and thereby maintain the current use level of carbon in energy production and transportation.

This kind of action discourages new longs and contributes to stock price fatigue in existing longs. If this scenario is correct, the solution might be to shine a light on the shorts. Who are the shorts? Is there some way to know? Can they hide behind their brokerage houses?

Considering all of this, I am becoming less optimistic about the stock price next week, even with great Q3 delivery numbers. I do not know of a better investment thesis than being long in TSLA. Great cars, new products, new factories, new technology, fantastic growth, but no significant increase in the stock price (even after dilution) in three years. Why?
They can beat on the stock all they want while it's low volume. If Q3 delivers like many of us think it will, they will get hurt, badly. Can't manipulate the price in the face of significantly positive financial results.

Then, once the Model 3 is shipping in volume there will be little left to doubt for the shorts. They will be heading for the hills. For now, just need patience.

Actually, I believe an integrator will be squeezed out of the picture altogether (as far as Tesla System is concerned). TE will have no more incentive to sell the solar/battery system to an integrator than TA to sell self-driving Model 3 to Uber...

Except that in this particular case it is going to be very hard to cut that integrator out since it is the power company itself. The powerwall itself is absolutely uncompetitive with a modern fully integrated grid and efficient power generation competition like in the Netherlands, even after taking into account favourable tax advantages.

What's happening here is that the Eneco wants to play on the TenneT imbalance market. This is the very lucrative, very short term power provisioning to balance the grid. You can't participate unless you are an institutional player. Auctions set a price every 15 minute and it's quite common for the winning bids to fetch prices of a few hunderds of euro per megawatt. Instead of installing utility scale battery systems like a powerpack, Eneco is going this route because 1) involving the user buys 'goodwill' in the market and may attract customers for their retail electricity offer 2) have the user pay part of the necessary investment through their purchase of the powerwall. The user is willing to make this smaller investment because together with the aforementioned tax advantages, it becomes financially competitive.

Regardless, I still think there will be a market anyway for local integrators and installers. It's a business that doesn't have obvious scaling advantages. There is always going to be someone who is going to climb the roof after all. And small companies will have it easy to carve out a place because they're not suffering from the overhead that a large public company has.

Simply Logistics of correctly identifying what cars actually were delivered. Especially now with Elon clarifying that passing of title is not enough. That's going to make it much more difficult to count accurately, because you can't just depend on the computer system for the count.

Thx. Good explanation.

I don't see this counting of cars delivered on Friday (today) requiring more than the weekend to resolve.

Remember, in the press release, tesla always says "within a %1 margin of error" for cars delivered in the quarter.

Reactions: EinSV
I am about to open a short-lived thread, dedicated to amassing peoples' sales/deliveries numbers for 3Q. It will be here in the Investors' sector; I don't like to contribute to the proliferation of threads, though, so we'll close it down soon after TM's announcement next week. Special dispensation for whoever comes closest - maybe I'll cut that person some slack regarding Off-Topic or Off-Color postings.... ;)

Simply Logistics of correctly identifying what cars actually were delivered. Especially now with Elon clarifying that passing of title is not enough. That's going to make it much more difficult to count accurately, because you can't just depend on the computer system for the count.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that this isn't a new policy - actual delivery has always been required for a car to enter the "deliveries" count. Even full payment isn't enough - you can't book the revenue until the car delivers. I thought Elon was just reminding the sales force of this fact so they stop trying to do irrelevant stuff like ask for payment or do paperwork on September 30 if the car can't deliver until October 1.

Reactions: vgrinshpun
Status
Not open for further replies.