Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Early morning weakness is expected as market makers adjust option positions.. need stock price to be as low as possible so they can unwind - should see some strength thereafter -- also look for some nice movement in SCTY as the arb trade gets some sunshine with tesla getting its numbers in order -- this is all just my opinion -- I want to thank "my username" for forcing me to re-register so I can log in to put him on ignore

Bump - going back into my cave - will come back from time to time - peace

Man, I chickened out and sold my short term calls at a mere 100% gain. Now looking at 400% gain. Always sell my winners early!

At least I still have the shares, mid term calls, mid term short puts and long term short puts to keep me going :)
Still holding my 215 Oct 7th. Gonna let this play out a bit.

So, it sounds like the only difference between GAAP and non-GAAP going forward is non cash interest and stock-based compensation? Hmm. Looks like we will be in that GAAP profitability area then. Need to crunch more numbers.
As we crunch numbers, especially for GAAP vs Non-GAAP, the different business model and sales recognition process becomes increasingly material for Tesla. Specifically, as Tesla grows WIP will grow at the rate of sales, but leading by about one quarter since sales only are recognized on final sale of the vehicle.

Interestingly, the crucial Supercharger expansion and associated operating expenses are hardly material, at $272,000 average cost of a location, and cost recognition in Sales expense is not material. If other manufacturers actually recognized the value of such a network one would think they would be directly investing in them, but no manufacturer is doing so apart from partnership with ChargePoint and the like.

Right now we are on the cusp that all the accounting issues have enough scale that quarter by quarter analysis is becoming practical. Finally Tesla is becoming a "real car company" just as SolarCity arrives to distort our views.

Short term price movements might begin to stabilize during the next year, at least after Model 3 deliveries begin.

Reactions: sunhelm
Good idea! Could be a multiday runner. Wouldn't shock me at all to see 230-240 by Friday.

It'll be interesting to watch it for a couple of days. If we can break 215, it looks like we have some room to run. With the merger weighing us down and likely giving the shorts reason not to cover, I find it tough to guess where we'll end up. Perhaps more knowledgeable minds have some thoughts?

It'll be interesting to watch it for a couple of days. If we can break 215, it looks like we have some room to run. With the merger weighing us down and likely giving the shorts reason not to cover, I find it tough to guess where we'll end up. Perhaps more knowledgeable minds have some thoughts?
Seems to me it will continue to have rumor leading wild fluctuations, no idea how wild, until we know actual gross margins and cost of sales for 3Q, so can reconcile GAAP. If fundamentals show positive turf then, there will be a significant run up, otherwise I think it will be hard to hold above 215, and probably, barring some really good news, settling more around 205 or so.

Reactions: Tenable
Seems to me it will continue to have rumor leading wild fluctuations, no idea how wild, until we know actual gross margins and cost of sales for 3Q, so can reconcile GAAP. If fundamentals show positive turf then, there will be a significant run up, otherwise I think it will be hard to hold above 215, and probably, barring some really good news, settling more around 205 or so.

Disagree. Revised analyst price targets should hit tomorrow before opening bell, and with a slightly green NASDAQ we should see a run into the 220's with volume. Articles will continue to reinforce positive upside surprise is likely in Q3, and buyers will magnify this effect as fear of missing out on gains combines with continued covering.

So. Now the question is: does the SCTY merger vote happen before or after 3Q16 TSLA ER.

If it does, I think the short term optimal play is to get out of the TSLA rise off the deliveries report near some sort of peak, and take advantage of the continued merger arb opportunity (which should close after the vote to converge on the conversion ratio), by pumping that powder into SCTY, and then switch back after, in time to catch the TSLA ER.

If it happens after 3Q16 TSLA ER, then should hold TSLA till the ER and then switch.

• Helpful
Reactions: stealthology
Status
Not open for further replies.