Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the negative reaction is from Colin rusch's expectation that Tesla (post merger) will need $12.5 B of capital.

I think the number's $5B too high (Colin allocated 5-8+ billion to solar city's lease model), because Solar City was already expecting to move away from the lease model, AND they can package and sell those PPA's to investors the same way as mortgages are sold. Regardless, those numbers shouldn't affect Tesla's actual capital needs.

Reactions: techmaven
I think the negative reaction is from Colin rusch's expectation that Tesla (post merger) will need $12.5 B of capital.

I think the number's $5B too high (Colin allocated 5-8+ billion to solar city's lease model), because Solar City was already expecting to move away from the lease model, AND they can package and sell those PPA's to investors the same way as mortgages are sold. Regardless, those numbers shouldn't affect Tesla's actual capital needs.

Yeah, it's a headline intended to grab attention. If SolarCity needs $8 billion in capital, they're selling a crap ton of PPA's. The financing of that is completely separate and should be treated like any other solar yieldco. At one point, people did understand this. They seem to be having a bit of an Aleppo moment.

Tesla Stock: Buy, Sell, or Hold? -- The Motley Fool
<Snip>
Founded just 13 years ago, electric-car maker Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA)has exploded onto the scene. But if Tesla CEO Elon Musk gets his way, the company is only just getting started. The CEO believes Tesla's annualized vehicle production rate is about to soar from 100,000 units today to 500,000 units in 2018 thanks to the company's upcoming lower-priced Model 3. And this doesn't even take into account Tesla's nascent energy storage business, which management hopes will help accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.

But the stock has struggled recently, down about 10% during the past two years. Is this a buying opportunity for investors? Or do a pricey valuation and rising competition make the stock a hold -- or even a sell?

When the Fool asked its 636,000 followers on Twitter about Tesla's investment prospects, the majority was clear: It's time to buy TeslanStock.

Polled in mid September when the stock was trading at about $196, or about 2% below where it is at the time of this writing, 48% of the 3,206 surveyed respondents thought Tesla stock was a buy, 29% thought it was a hold, and 23% believed it was time to sell.
<Snip>

For those who came to this board looking for reasons why the morning drop. 1. The general market was down (it was down during the night in foreign markets). 2. One analyst published FUD, his timing shows he probably has a motivation to push the stock down while the market is weak. Many analysts have motivations that make their content less objective. I read what they say, but keep in mind they want the readers to believe one way or another.

Those are major ones. Then there are tons of minor ones. Market worries about Fed interest; Samsung's fire led to big stock drop, which led to weak Korean market, which led to weak Asian market; Election uncertainty; Trading bots jump into action; Oil down in the early morning, now is back up. Overall I don't think this board is a good place to look for reasons. It's too slow and incomplete.

WRT - to bs article on needing 12b. Tweet from Elon Musk today:
@vicentes obviously wrong

Just in case it wasn't clear from Navin's post, Elon actually did just tweet that:

Untitled.png

Need to hop over $200.

Why? TSLA has done nothing for 3 years. It likely will stay in this range until the Model 3 is proven or fails.

Anyone actually making money trading TSLA over the last three years isn't going to be giving hints here. Meanwhile, those crazy people just holding the nasdaq composite have made nice returns.

The pretense of day traders discussing vital issues in this thread is pretty silly. It just an excuse for some to defend against every criticism of Tesla.

Just in case it wasn't clear from Navin's post, Elon actually did just tweet that:

View attachment 198472

Well, that could also mean that Elon believes they need to raise more than $12B though 2018.

For the people here are who are convinced the analyst is wrong, what have you modeled out for capital requirements through 2018 for TSLA (assuming the SCTY deal goes through)?

I just saw Elon's comment regarding the BS from Oppenheimer’s Colin Rusch. For those who still are not convinced, use this as a study case, post his report on your wall, and write Elon's comment on it. Later, maybe in 1~2 years check who is right. Don't judge by the stock movement in the next 2 years. In stead see if his content turns out to be true.

I guess these guys first take a position, sometimes indirectly, then write misleading reports, take a quick profit. They say there is a "Great Wall", I don't believe them for a second. I don't have a proof. But this is common sense after I saw so many scandals in the past. They are in the business to make money, not to generously provide us free service. I do think there are capable and honest analysts, not too many though.

But this is common sense after I saw so many scandals in the past.

What scandals have you seen where major analysts write an incorrect report to drive down the stock price, load up on shares and then later sell at a profit?

If the research is BS, what does your analysis say are the capital requirements through 2018?

Maybe you should publish that analysis so in 2 years time, people can see how correct you were.

Is this something you are willing to share?

Well, that could also mean that Elon believes they need to raise more than $12B though 2018.

For the people here are who are convinced the analyst is wrong, what have you modeled out for capital requirements through 2018 for TSLA (assuming the SCTY deal goes through)?
@Value Ev. Wow. I really didn't want to ignore you man, but this was the last straw. Bye!

Edit: Referring to this line "Well, that could also mean that Elon believes they need to raise more than $12B though 2018."

Why? TSLA has done nothing for 3 years. It likely will stay in this range until the Model 3 is proven or fails.

Well, over the past 3 years, the trading range is $120 to $280. There's been a lot of opportunities for both longs and shorts to make money on this. If you want the behavior of an index fund, then this is not it.

Pick another timeframe... November, 18th, 2013 to November 18th, 2016, and the result may be extremely different. November 18th, 2013 was around $120/share, so we're already up 65%. Plenty of longs here that have held had done so since Q1, 2013. If one took a core share position, and then a trading allowance of a much smaller part, and chose to buy and sell at the extremes, they likely did quite well without shorting at all.

@Value Ev. Wow. I really didn't want to ignore you man, but this was the last straw. Bye!

Edit: Referring to this line "Well, that could also mean that Elon believes they need to raise more than $12B though 2018."

I understand that humor is not for everyone.
Remember, he wants to build a $1T company. $14B raise may be needed for that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.