Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TSLA was trading above 198 when that CNBC misinformation came out. It'll be interesting to see how high we spring back. If we level at 197 or so, CNBC just picked some money from your wallet with that stunt.
Do me a favor, please ignore any (undoubtedly coming from value seeking users) requests to show evidence of this... :rolleyes:

It says

Tesla is telling prospective buyers that new orders for its Model 3 will begin shipping in "mid-2018 or later."
They means they will not have completed the 370k+ orders they already have until then.
Is that really such bad news?
No, its not. Its completely *not* news, and that's the point.

By wording their headline the way they did, to be clickbaity and misleading, they triggered algo traders to selloff much of todays gains in the space of a few minutes.

We've discussed the ZEV topic some time ago. Guys, don't get over-excited about it.

While I believe each ZEV credit was worth $3-4k in the past until 2016 Q1, the current value of ZEV I believe is near zero. Yes, I mean it, near zero.

The reasons are two facts:
1. ZEV requirement for model years 2009 through 2011 was 11%, 2012 through 2014 was 12%, 2015 through 2017 was 14%.
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/zevregs/1962.1_Clean.pdf

This was the plan made several years ago. A clear uptrend. Many OEM can't meet the current requirement so they have been buying ZEV from others, Tesla being the biggest source. The price was good ($4k maybe), basically the net profit of their best profit making models. During this time frame, other OEMs also accumulated a surplus, in anticipation of increasing requirement.

2. But, in mid this year. CARB came out with the plan for 2018 and beyond. Guess what, the requirement for 2018 model is 4.5%. A 68% decrease. It will not be until 2022 when the requirement climbs back to 14.5%.
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/zevregs/1962.2_Clean.pdf

This suddenly changed everything. The surplus other OEMs sitting on is good enough for the next few years. The value of ZEV is near zero because there's no need for it. That's where the "penny on dollar" comment from Elon came from. Sure, Tesla can still sell the ZEV, but at a huge discount compared to the few k before. I think it is under $100 now.

And @vgrinshpun I am aware that news you cite was written in September. But I don't believe it reflects this change in ZEV requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.