Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big product reveal event just 2 days after ER ?
That's a tight timing, only 2 days to take profits before the SP drops due to the new product announcement -- as it usually does in response to those ;)

So what do we expect ?
+10% on positive ER, followed by -3% on product reveal ?

Mea Culpa!
I have soo overestimated the market's rationality.
+10% on beat ER ? What was I thinking...
Nope, it goes into the red instead :O

it just does not compute

Reactions: SpaceAce
So SP is very very close to going negative for the day. How can that even remotely be explained? After the 3Q ER, investors are less confident in the company? That's hard to believe. I can understand a muted positive response of a few percent but negative???

Market is a voting mechanism in the short-term, weighing in the long--Buffett or Munger?
As someone else mentioned upthread, many of us are so long that there isn't any more dry powder to be buying with. Many of us ARE getting longer, but its pretty frustrating to see such an undeniable beat resulting in a SP less than $1 in the green right now, and looking like its on the war path to turn red.

Calm down folks, 3 more potentially significant catalysts in the next 3 trading days. Then 2 more in the next 10 trading days. Plus a giant macro potential of oil prices going up.

Last edited:
Reactions: davecolene0606
TSLA is still in the penalty box. The analysts don't believe the cash flow is real because they don't believe Elon is telling the truth when he said that they need less capex than originally planned. The only way that gets sorted out is to deliver M3 by mid next year without a belatedly huge increase in capex.

And without analyst support, there aren't going to be a lot of new buyers for the stock, hence no big price jump.

It is more than just sour grapes on the analyst's part. Their customers (institutional buyers of Tesla stock) no doubt ripped them to shreds when SCTY was announced. That announcement tanked the stock price and made each fund that owned Tesla look bad. That directly resulted in poorer comps versus competition funds that didn't buy Tesla. Which directly impacted fund manager bonuses. If I were a fund manager, I'd be pissed too that I made $1M less this year due to Tesla (yeah, yeah, they can afford it, but ignoring that).

So the analysts are basically outdoing each other trying to find any little possible weakness in the financials because that's what their customers are demanding of them. They also jumped on the payables increasing as evidence of manipulation, when another answer is that the CFO was told to conserve cash (duh), so he negotiated better payables terms from suppliers, which is easier now to do than it was a year ago since they can dangle huge M3 volumes at them. This is what Elon partly meant when he said "operational efficiency", and that's not manipulation, but an effective way of using Tesla's new found strength to source other forms of capital.

Where's Andrea James when you need her? Other than waiting for mid next year when it'll be too late to jump on the TSLA bus, analysts should be doing their due diligence to figure out whether Elon is lying or not. I have yet to see evidence presented to indicate that anyone has done that. In other words, the current crop of analysts are hacks who can't do a proper job. Regardless, they do still influence the stock price.

So this guy on CNBC says payables as a percentage of COGS when from 15% to 36% (at 0:43). Anyone know what he's talking about?

Fichthorn: We're still short Tesla
I bet he's not comparing apples to apples as Tesla completely changed the way they report in Q3. Not an accounting expert, but I'm pretty sure Q2 COGS are not calculated in the same way as Q3 COGS thanks to all the different lease/RVG accounting.

With regard to my earlier post about nobody offering congrats and as it has been pointed out at times being rude on the call, I have to wonder when I see the GS and MS "notes", whether no Cap raise (in spite of them telling Elon he needed to) equals no easy pay day in the short term at least GS or MS and hence their inaction and meh reaction.
I can't help but think that if another easy pay day (some form of cap raise)for them is not heavily influencing their actions:rolleyes:.

Just amazing the bs level from Adam Jonas on this one, dude puts a $333 price target earlier this year based on tesla mobility and tesla energy, back when neither were that visible and really didn't warrant the upgrade at the time, now they are more tangible with AP 2.0 hardware shipping and Tesla signing some big contracts with TE and getting close to ramping GF with production and he refuses to adjust model to include TE and tesla mobility at this point. Just lol.

Just for the record,
on CNBC is a firing squad
Fichthorn: We're still short Tesla
O’Leary: Gravity will strike Tesla eventually

I'm a newbie, but they don't even get the facts correct.

Astounding. O'Leary:
"BMW has an equivalent product and it's getting better and better all the time". No, no other car manufacturer has an even remotely equivalent product. This is an indisputable fact.
"Gravity will hit eventually, Tesla makes one thing: a car". No, Tesla make home batteries, will soon make solar panels, will go in to ride sharing market. These are facts.
"This stock will crash and then Big Daddy will be right. If not, then all the things I've learned in decades of trading are wrong." He keeps slamming the "young guys, who all own the stock and want to own the car". Maybe he should listen to what he's actually saying? All the young people love the stock, the company and the product.

As I think about the weak ZEV credit mandate and its short term detriment to TSLA - taking a long term view - I think it will actually cement Tesla's position at the top.

If you really believe electric cars are the future, all this mandate does is put the other automakers further and further behind because they are solely focused on the short term and getting the 15k/car benefit. It finally clicked for me during the CC yesterday - there's no incentive for GM to commit to electric cars at this point from the ZEV mandate. So they won't build out a SpC network and they won't sell in non-ZEV states in any meaningful way and they won't build or partner in a GGF because that requires long-term thinking and CARB incentivizes the short term view right now.

Every day that the traditional automakers fail to commit to electric cars in a meaningful way is another day's lead for Tesla - and Tesla moves way faster than everyone else as it is. Building the Bolt doesn't position GM closer to the promised land in any way. The ZEV mandate will keep automakers busy gleefully trying to pluck the low hanging fruit while the Tesla bulldozer is bearing down on them.

For the sake of the environment (and Tesla's short term prospects) I hope the mandate is significantly strengthened, but if it doesn't - Tesla will still emerge as the winner when the smoke clears. Traditional automakers will be in line for another bailout soon enough (5-10 years).

Great analysis esk8mw!

May I suggest the favorite metaphor of this forum's bulls rather than "plucking low hanging fruit?" They are plucking the fish flopping in the mud from rapidly receding coastal waters, failing to recognize that this is a sign of an impending tsunami triggered by the tectonic plate-shifting earthquake that is Tesla/EM. Oh, and the shorts are also out there in that mud thinking they're making easy money with each fat fish they pick up and stuff in their shirts.

I picked up another 25 units of TSLA this morning at 207.29 to finally reach a thousand shares! I'm now headed up to high ground to watch the fools in the mud who failed to heed the signs and the blaring tsunami warning sirens of the 2016Q3 ER!

Ok! My purchases today are all in the green. Good start, so far ... got some SCTY long, and TSLA long, and a little protection earlier in the day.

Edit: 11:25PT (14:25ET): Still showing a 3.7% portfolio gain for the day, despite the SP afternoon drop.

---

If you really believe electric cars are the future, all this mandate does is put the other automakers further and further behind because they are solely focused on the short term and getting the 15k/car benefit. It finally clicked for me during the CC yesterday - there's no incentive for GM to commit to electric cars at this point from the ZEV mandate. So they won't build out a SpC network and they won't sell in non-ZEV states in any meaningful way and they won't build or partner in a GGF because that requires long-term thinking and CARB incentivizes the short term view right now.
So, wait ... CARB is ... NOT EVIL? Huh. That's a twist. Here, I thought they were gaming the system by incentivizing ICE, but they're actually lulling the established brands into a sort of unawake coma long enough for Tesla to cement a position? At least the old companies got some experience with EV's, so when they do wake up, they can actually help save the planet.

---

Looks like the last breath of fuming FUD:
'One day gravity will strike on multiple,' O'Leary said about Tesla's stock.
Tesla (TSLA) will eventually succumb to gravity's pull because it's revenue stream lacks diversity, O'Shares ETF's Chairman Kevin O'Leary said on CNBC's "Halftime Report" on Thursday afternoon.
"Tesla makes a car. One thing. Cars. And why it can defy gravity and perpetuity is beyond me," O'Leary said.
They can still say that while Tesla Energy isn't visibly shipping in USA, and while Tesla Solar is still a shareholder vote issue. Within a year (possibly sooner), that all goes away. TE demand is somewhere between solid and frantic, and Solar demand, while a bit harder to quantify due to the capital nature of it, will become a part of the product lineup. I eagerly look forward to tomorrow evening's reveal.

---

Read more: Hillary To Raise Money At Home Of CEO Who Makes Solar Panels Using Prison Labor
Written from a BernieBro but the takeaway point is there are some ties ...
SCTY has been pretty consistent in cozying up to politicians. I think the regulatory landscape has a lot to do with that. I really hope Tesla doesn't pick sides and become a bean bag for Republicans to punch all the time. It will hurt the Republicans and Tesla, and won't do the country that much good, with the possible silver lining that people like me will respond and straighten out some of the FUD in broad media and it will serve as a type of advertising for Tesla. However, Solar City has been cozying up to politicians all along. Hopefully, under Elon Musk's leadership, their solar division gets more arm's length distance with the politicians.

But, right now, it's probably a move to sort of say thank you for the grandfathering of solar regulation in Nevada to Berkshire-Hathaway. For all we know, this was part of the deal. If you want to save the planet, you have to host a fundraiser for Democrats. Just because someone's house has someone in it, does it mean they endorse them? I hope not.

This will manifest differently, and more maturely, in a combined Tesla company. I think this will be interesting to watch post-merger.

Just try out some of the FUD punches, post-merger:

"Coal powered": Nope. Solar powered.
"Not diverse": Nope. Diverse.
"Foreign made": Yes, and USA made, too: New York, Nevada, and California have factories.
"Taxpayer supported": Not compared to coal, oil, etc. How much did your oil wars cost? Who died supporting dirty energy and dirty cars?

Last edited:
Just amazing the bs level from Adam Jonas on this one, dude puts a $333 price target earlier this year based on tesla mobility and tesla energy, back when neither were that visible and really didn't warrant the upgrade at the time, now they are more tangible with AP 2.0 hardware shipping and Tesla signing some big contracts with TE and getting close to ramping GF with production and he refuses to adjust model to include TE and tesla mobility at this point. Just lol.

Anybody have a link to that?, can't find one and want to read actual wording.

Status
Not open for further replies.