Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NVidia CEO also said:
"
And so I think people now recognize that AI computing is a very software-rich problem and it is a supremely exciting AI problem, and that deep learning and GPUs could add a lot of value. And it's going happen in 2017. It's not going to happen in 2021. And so I think number one. Number two, our strategy is to deploy a one architecture platform that is open that car companies could work on to leverage our software stack and create their network, their artificial intelligence network. And then we would address everything from highway cruising, excellent highway cruising to all the way to full autonomous to trucks to shuttles. And using one computing architecture, we could apply it for radar-based systems or radar plus cameras, radar plus cameras plus lidars, we could use it for all kinds of sensor fusion environments.

And so I think – our strategy, I think, is really resonating well with the industry as people now realize that we need the computation capability five years earlier. That we – that it's not a detection problem, but it's an AI computing problem and that software is really intensive. That these three observations, I think, has put us in a really good position.
"

Whose software is most significant in solving this AI problem? Tesla's? Or NVidia' software stack?

Tesla isn't using any of NVIDIA's software stack. But other companies might. Tesla chose NVIDIA's chip for its hardware performance characteristics, and NVIDIA is promoting it as the Drive PX2 platform. Other companies might choose to go with the software parts of the Drive PX2 platform, or hardware platforms themselves as a means to try to jump start. NVIDIA obviously has their own things to sell, even if Tesla's case is really only using the base layer of their stack (in vehicle). Outside of vehicle, we don't know.

Cross country road trip implies both technological and regulartory approval. Yes it just implies. But musk has a tendency to telegraph all his passes pretty far ahead
He never said that the demonstration wouldn't have a safety driver behind the wheel. Just that the car would do all the driving. I don't think he (currently, ignoring whichever state is trying to pass anti-autopilot law) needs any kind of regulatory approval.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchJi
He never said that the demonstration wouldn't have a safety driver behind the wheel. Just that the car would do all the driving. I don't think he (currently, ignoring whichever state is trying to pass anti-autopilot law) needs any kind of regulatory approval.
I think you're right. Though, it would be great if at least one of the states allowed for a completely empty car. Would make for great PR.

Hate to see Americans getting laid off, M3 demand might of had something to do with low demand for GM products.

GM laying off over 2,000 at 2 car plants as sales slow

This confounds me:

The company said Wednesday it will suspend the third shifts at factories in Lordstown, Ohio, and in Lansing, Michigan, because of the market change, which is growing and shows no sign of abating.

You're laying people off because the market is GROWING and shows NO sign of abating....what?!?! Oh wait, that's right you sent all that work that supplies the growing market and shows no sign of abating to other countries. Brilliant move. So glad the United States now has a President that's going to put that to a stop.

Right now I don't think the M3 is responsible for it, but rather low gas prices since it's pickups and SUVs that people are once again buying in droves.

I think what is confounding is that AP writers' ability to write cogently is dropping, and shows no sign of abating.

It is not the market which is growing w/o abatement, but the "market change", whatever that is.

Confusing indeed, however!

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchJi
This confounds me:

The company said Wednesday it will suspend the third shifts at factories in Lordstown, Ohio, and in Lansing, Michigan, because of the market change, which is growing and shows no sign of abating.

You're laying people off because the market is GROWING and shows NO sign of abating....what?!?! Oh wait, that's right you sent all that work that supplies the growing market and shows no sign of abating to other countries. Brilliant move. So glad the United States now has a President that's going to put that to a stop.

Right now I don't think the M3 is responsible for it, but rather low gas prices since it's pickups and SUVs that people are once again buying in droves.

GM has other factories that will be busy fulfilling truck demand.

And I was a little shocked when someone posted that what they picked up their MX that they were not given any instructions on how to use AP.

Nobody gives you instructions on how to drive when you buy a new car. Yes, I'll concede AP is a bit different, but it's the responsibility of the ADULT buyer to educate themselves about any product they buy. Tesla actually does more educating (because they have to) then any other car manufacturer out there.

Could they do a video and force people to sit down and watch it before taking possession of the car? Sure. Are people going to appreciate that? Sure, some will. Some won't.

Does you think that if they did that, plus they explained the limitations verbally, and possibles required a signature that they could hit close to 99.9%?

Actually. No. And I don't think I really need to explain to you why.

On the bright side of things, when the AP becomes autonomous we won't have to worry about this particular scenario. ;)

Reactions: SebastianR
V.E. - if you aren't aware of P-E's attitude AND frothy words toward China....then you haven't been paying attention. And if you need any political leader, at any time in the last one or two centuries, to use the words "...I vow to start a trade war..." in order to start a trade war...then there is no hope for you. Got it now? I hope so, because there is no need to further this.

This confounds me:

It is because Trump was elected and he has vowed to start a trade war with China.

GM sells a lot to China so they are taking steps to limit their damage during the trade war.

I think what is confounding is that AP writers' ability to write cogently is dropping, and shows no sign of abating.

It is not the market which is growing w/o abatement, but the "market change", whatever that is.

Confusing in deed, however!
This strikes me as creative framing - trying to spin a clear negative as a positive and then shoehorning the word "growing" in there.

Obviously, the clear issue is that demand is falling for that segment. They have instead chosen to spin this as "a different segment is popular and causing substitution" which seems like a dubious claim given the obvious differences. It's not like a switch from truck to SUV which might make some sense. But they didn't stop there either. They are calling it "growing market change" which almost makes it sound like this is a good thing.

The reality is that the sectors are almost 100% independent and this is unequivocally bad news. There's no reason whatsoever that both segments couldn't be growing at the same time. It'd be like Tesla blaming low EV sales on growing solar panel demand - almost totally nonsensical.

V.E. - if you aren't aware of P-E's attitude AND frothy words toward China....then you haven't been paying attention. And if any political leader, at any time in the last one or two centuries, to use the words "...I vow to start a trade war..." in order to start a trade war...then there is no hope for you. Got it now? I hope so, because there is no need to further this.

Yes, I get it, now. What you said he vowed, he didn't actually vow.

He said that trade is unfair and it needs to be fixed. Trade imbalances have been addressed before without trade wars. Happens all the time.
Not sure how that gets translated into a claimed vow to start a trade war.

Selling large bundles of shares in a short time, covering in small lots later (same day, or few days later). On average that is close to holding zero shares short.

Buying the shares in smaller lots would create buying pressure about equal to the sale of the large bundle. It's really not that easy to manipulate a highly volatile and liquid stock like Tesla. You need to create a net buying or net shorting position to make any lasting impact.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tenable
I have a feeling it has to do with GM trying to move production to Mexico like everyone else.

Sales of GM's Cruze is down 20% this year while the Camero is down 9%. The Cruze was consumer report's top choice in reliability. The Cruze is a hybrid.

GM also stated that they are "retooling" to focus on building more SUV and Crossovers.

Last edited:
Alright, I'll clarify. I am still waiting. And everyone else who likes this post. :)

To clarify, @Xpert made the promise to eat his socks and clarified that it was not a figure of speech but that he literally will do it if Trump won. I also offered him a different option (to shave his head). But a promise is a promise. If we can't keep his word, I don't know what we have.

Also on another note, almost all the posters on this thread minimized the chances of Trump becoming president. And when I voiced my concerns, my concerns were minimized and mocked (i.e., "no way, impossible he wins, if he does I'll eat my socks, etc). I think that's a weakness of the culture here. Legitimate concerns are minimized and made seem to be foolish and that's tolerated. The herd mentality feeds off of that. But when the herd is wrong, the herd here doesn't admit their mistakes. The mistake wasn't not predicting Trump to become president, but the mistake was not taking seriously and deeply discussing concerns of others here. @Xpert took the boldest stance by saying my concerns were completely out of line and he promised to eat his socks if Trump won. He ought to follow through with his promise (at least shave his head), for the sake of the integrity of this forum.
Def feel the same way as I said there are tons of closet Trump supporters.

The next mistake is the over dramatically spreading FUD on a Trump doomsday. Sorry isn't going happen!

Free and fair trade is the thrust of the deal, the fair component has to be addressed.

We have had $50 billion monthly trade deficits for over 20 years and that is not sustainable.
A Corporate tax rate that stops the outflow of corporate headquarters .
Medical insurance in the USA makes us even less competitive,
And accounts for 20% of GDP, versus 10% in Germany
And probably 2% in Mexico.

Repatriation of hundreds of billions kept abroad by USA firms would
Be very beneficial if put to work in the USA.

Having both houses of congress gives him a 2 year window
To accomplish some of that.

In My view tesla will prosper , and the stock too.

Sorry, didn't see it as a question, yes, typically in all stock mergers the 2 move in unison & the spread narrows until merger is closed in a text book deal.

I figured that would be the case with monthly/weekly charts using daily periods. But the intraday movements? That just blew me away with how close they are.

I will try to do more research. Currently I haven't found anything regarding chart movements with mergers.

On the price of Copper -

Was it in this thread someone a long time ago....say, 20 minutes....wrote hoping TM had hedged all their upcoming Cu purchases?

My take is that there is, indeed, something absolutely balmy occurring right now on LME Cu trading. I would suggest that, if you also so believe, then consider hedging such action with puts (etc.) on FCX. Freeport is indeed a monster producer of Cu but is under crippling debt and needing to slough off a lot more assets, AND the Indonesian gov't has shown a tendency to whack it every time things start looking rosy in the Cu trade. So, although its stock price remains way down relative to any period other than the past few quarters, you might start considering it to be way overbought.

Disclosure: A large investment in Freeport was one of the ways I made a small fortune in the late 80s. I exited it a long time ago - not long after they took over PD; I now have zero exposure to it nor have any plans to follow the suggestions I write above. Not my style now.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Status
Not open for further replies.