Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think a 100kwh battery will increase sales of Model X.

Issue I have with the X is that with the 90D, rated range is 257 miles. S70D is 240 miles. So buying an X90D doesn't give you much more advantage in range vs. S70D. Owners have posted lower real world range due to larger size of the vehicle, etc... With the X100D, the range will hopefully be closer to S90D, but with the roominess that folks will want for long trips.

This is what is holding me back from ordering an X. X90D vs S70D, not much of a difference in rated range. Give the X a 100kWH battery and rated range of 270-280, I'll bite. BTW I've noticed with the S70D that my wife and I get close to, if not lower than EPA rated kwh/mile...

OOPS! Just realized you guys weren't talking about the battery.... I'll take my thoughts elsewhere, sorry!

It undermines Tesla. You won't like it too much if it affects sales, thus the bottom line, thus the stock price. It's even more distasteful when he taunts Elon Musk on Twitter like he did.
Maybe Tesla then should focus on better software packaging routines to avoid giving such bad people as wk057 the chance to find such information without even breaking a sweat?

Blaming Jason for this is just silly. Tesla brought this on themselves.

You dont see Apple including photos of the Iphone 7 in current iphone firmware do you?

If anything, like most white hat hackers, wk057 and his effort will over time help Tesla improve internal routines for buidling proper software. And that is needed based on their track record of braking feature x when fixing feature y. What if someone will really bad intentions had found this and also spreas the images wk057 hasnt shared?

Personally I think this is bullish information anyway, and should indicate that model 3 will have a large battery even for the base model. This based on model s most likely being able to cram 100kwh capacity in the same space as previously occupied of 85/90.

It undermines Tesla. You won't like it too much if it affects sales, thus the bottom line, thus the stock price. It's even more distasteful when he taunts Elon Musk on Twitter like he did.

I am not supporting the way he brought this to light but I have no issue with him providing valid information. EM himself has indicated if you are waiting to buy the 'next greatest TM feature' (my words/his sentiment) that you will never buy a Tesla. So, TM is constantly confronted with the 'Osborne Effect'. To the specifics of the information Jason released: The '100 bat' has been long predicted and I was surprised that it was not an option at X launch. IIRC TM is currently production constrained. IMO, the bigger issue that will affect sales is what happens to S sales once the model3 is revealed and not what Jason just revealed.

I read @wk057 on Twitter and I don't see any taunting. He actually seems annoyed that Tesla tried to downgrade his car's firmware (presumably to get rid of the leaked P100D graphic).

If someone tried to screw with my car I'd do a lot worse than taunt them.

This is Tesla's fault. If they didn't want the info out there, it should never have been in the publicly released firmware to begin with. Only an idiot wouldn't expect this to happen, because people have been hacking firmware for decades. iPhone jail breaking and Android custom ROMs probably expanded the number of people interested in this by 10x.

Maybe Tesla then should focus on better software packaging routines to avoid giving such bad people as wk057 the chance to find such information without even breaking a sweat?

Yes, always the right thing to blame the other when someone else crosses the line. It's Tesla's fault that they didn't spend valuable resources making it impossible for our knight in shining armor to mind his own business. Remember that when someone wrongs you through no fault of your own; they're only doing it for your own good. Should someone vandalize your property, it'll be your fault for not having prevented it by guarding it with an army.

Blaming Jason for this is just silly.

Right. Totally silly for holding him accountable for his own actions.

Tesla brought this on themselves.

Yep, they sure did. They quite specifically invited him/told him/heck, dared him to do it.

What if someone will really bad intentions had found this and also spreas the images wk057 hasnt shared?

Obviously that would also have been Tesla's fault, just as it was my fault that my locked vehicle, parked in a well-lit residential area was stolen. How incredibly stupid of me!

- - - Updated - - -

I read @wk057 on Twitter and I don't see any taunting.

Right. "I know your secret" followed by an easily decipherable code isn't a taunt at all. Got it.

He actually seems annoyed that Tesla tried to downgrade his car's firmware...

He's got no right to be annoyed. It's his own fault if his salvage car's firmware is downgraded for not protecting it from Tesla accessibility.

Last edited:
Once you buy a product you can do anything you want to it. Anything. That's part of business. Once Tesla sells a car it's no longer theirs or under their control. People have been hacking/hot rodding cars since the beginning. Why should EV's be any different?

The technical condition of TSLA is improving. Some of the indicators have turned positive suggesting that a bottom in the stock price has likely occurred. The stock is underperforming the market over the last 50 trading days when compared to the S&P 500. The MACD-LT, is confirming that the intermediate-term trend is bullish at this time. TSLA's chart formation suggests an upward trend is beginning/ stock is in the early stages of a rising trend. A close above $207.75 is a number to watch to confirm a trend reversal. Momentum as measured by the 9-day RSI is positive but showing signs of slowing. Over the last 50 trading sessions, there has been more volume on up days than on down days indicating that TSLA is under accumulation, which is a bullish condition. The stock is above its 50-day moving average which is pointed down. This is supportive that the trend is improving.

Above comment was posted at Second Opinion section of my brokerage account.

Once you buy a product you can do anything you want to it. Anything. That's part of business. Once Tesla sells a car it's no longer theirs or under their control. People have been hacking/hot rodding cars since the beginning. Why should EV's be any different?

Tend to agree. I once had training on this subject while working at one of the big 3. Anything in production in customers hands was open game to teardown and reverse engineer. Using the info was fine as well with the appropriate patent searches. It became more gray if you got information from preproduction development (suppliers working with the competitor, spy information, etc) and we were cautioned to discuss with the lawyers before using. By putting this in a production vehicle it is free for public consumption. Tesla should have prevented this from being put into the software if they did not want it known.

So I am as happy about a possible P100D as anyone could be - it will do good for ASP and GM and will reaffirm Tesla's unquestionable lead among EV manufacturers. I also know Tesla's very public policy is that they can and do introduce new options at any time, there are no model years and such... still, if I just shelled out a cool 140k for a brand new X (after waiting 3-4 years) and they would introduce the 100kwh battery just 2-3 months later, I would be kind of pissed. Any backlash possible from this?

The fact that February was essentially net-zero change... and the bounce back up 42% from the $141 low mid-month was 100% macro related, this is great news.

So 100% of the sell off was un-related to Tesla and not a consequence of communication or execution of the business plan or am I not understanding you correctly? Seems like some of the sell off can be attributed to lack of X ramp-up and execution issues.

Tend to agree. I once had training on this subject while working at one of the big 3. Anything in production in customers hands was open game to teardown and reverse engineer. Using the info was fine as well with the appropriate patent searches. It became more gray if you got information from preproduction development (suppliers working with the competitor, spy information, etc) and we were cautioned to discuss with the lawyers before using. By putting this in a production vehicle it is free for public consumption. Tesla should have prevented this from being put into the software if they did not want it known.
Instead of answering Krugerrand directly I'll let the above posts answer instead. They sum it up perfectly.

Tesla gave away tradesecrets out of their own sloppy software routines. Those caring about Tesla should be focusing on that and not wk057. But as usual Tesla is drawn as "perfect" from certain people here and wk057 is drawn as responsible for every problem Tesla has it seems. Had Tesla software-teams done their jobs this would not be an issue.

I easily stand by my statement that if you send thousands of your customers software that contains info on unreleased product you brought it on yourself if said info gets public. We are actually in 2016 now... People hack their devices and cars... Tesla needs to deal with that.

Even though I have been very critical of Tesla at some points I actually used the dip in share price to buy some shares as I think it was bound to rebound. News of a P100D just makes me consider keeping the shares longer than originally planned(model 3 reveal).... I love the fact that battery dev is coming along nicely.

Yes, always the right thing to blame the other when someone else crosses the line. It's Tesla's fault that they didn't spend valuable resources making it impossible for our knight in shining armor to mind his own business.

I thought it was abundantly clear from your posting on this forum in general, and in the investor's section and the 691 hp threads in particular, that it is in fact you who consider yourself Tesla's knight in shining armor. You're definitely more protective of Tesla than Elon himself. Since it's obvious you believe Tesla can do no wrong, ever, whatsoever, your opinion on this matter too is totally unsurprising.

I thought it was abundantly clear from your posting on this forum in general, and in the investor's section and the 691 hp threads in particular, that it is in fact you who consider yourself Tesla's knight in shining armor. You're definitely more protective of Tesla than Elon himself. Since it's obvious you believe Tesla can do no wrong, ever, whatsoever, your opinion on this matter too is totally unsurprising.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Johan again."

Krugerrand has been basically against anything I write about Tesla from day 1, regardless of content, just like a few others on this forum. It's a bit laughable.

Wow, apparently you guys must not be at all familiar with data mining software packages. It is done all the time. From video games to the latest windows updates... why are we all so surprised now, and it is "detrimental to Tesla" because it is in a car? That or you guys aren't familiar with this practice across the software industry.

If they didn't want anyone to know about it, then they shouldn't push out a software update across the entire fleet with objects in it making reference to it. It really isn't that hard, they already have separated versioning of their code as what we get has been tested and checked many times over before it makes it to our cars (even if some things say they are "beta"). Once you put it out there, then you might as well have just told everyone that it is coming. Jason was being nice to them by holding off saying anything for what sounds like around 2 months of him knowing about it, because he really has no responsibility to keep it to himself.

The law has come down on the side of the owner in all cases that I am aware of, what Jason has done is absolutely considered legal, and if Tesla didn't like what was released they shouldn't have pushed it to everyone's cars... *ESPECIALLY* since they already knew months ago that Jason had hacked the car and gotten full details of everything inside. This isn't like he just *happened* to get this figured out all of a sudden. He has had full control over this for what? 2+ months? And they decide to release an update to his car that has the PNG's of the new model. That is on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.