Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To your question on the analysts:

Obviously we can have no way of even guessing what information Musk has given analysts. My guess is that Musk is keeping them very much in the dark deliberately.

April will be Musk's month...no doubt about that in my mind..he has information to hand that he is releasing very strategically.

If I'm right on that guess, it will be very difficult for an analyst to put out a statement...I mean, they see the large number of reservations but have no understanding yet about how production might be ramped. So, on what basis can they calculate anything useful without risk of looking super silly as soon as Q1 ER?

Analysts aren't supposed to have inside information (although they do get special factory tours and some other things like that). They put out statements all the time without a full understanding. And the risk of looking super silly has never held them back (for example, see John Lovallo, Trip Chowdhry, et al.)

The reason analysts would put out a new note now is that new information has come to light that forces them to update their models. They don't have to be "right", but they do need to correct what are now obviously flawed models that assume things like demand under 250k in 2020. Andrea is usually the quickest to understand things and she put her $500 PT upgrade out on Friday.

@Ukland Wombat

I would like to ask you to stop replying to my posts please. I find your reimagining Musk as a juvenile to be intellectually offensive to me and toe-curlingly disrespectful to Elon Musk who under no circumstances no matter what he does in business derserves to be smeared with the notion of thinking or feeling the way you do about anything at all - and I for one want no part of your little word game.

Interesting you say that...and of course I will oblige by not replying to you directly...no problem.

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog
+ 1. I think those two are the most important catalysts in near term, of coure it'll come with capital raise. We do need some radical action from TM based on unprecedented M3 reservation number.

Ya. I'd like TWO things to happen with respect to production of M3

#1. Increase their production capacity vs original plan. (Obviously)

#2 Begin production SOONER than Q4'17

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Analysts aren't supposed to have inside information (although they do get special factory tours and some other things like that). They put out statements all the time without a full understanding. And the risk of looking super silly has never held them back (for example, see John Lovallo, Trip Chowdhry, et al.)

The reason analysts would put out a new note now is that new information has to light that forces them to update their models. They don't have to be "right", but they do need to correct what are now obviously flawed models that assume things like demand under 250k in 2020. Andrea is usually the quickest to understand things and she put her $500 PT upgrade out on Friday.

I take your point in the main, but will add that their notes are loaded with self interest. That alone could motivate a note when the trajectory of the company isn't so clear (i.e. what exactly to put in their model?)...sort of taking advantage of the uncertainty. But yes you are right...they don't worry about looking super silly.

So, I back down.

Reactions: MikeC
One explanation is the Q1 report is positive (meet or beat), so TM wants to not overlap it with good M3 news over the weekend, so it becomes more likely to be released after Monday close or before Tuesday open. If the Q1 report is bad (miss), I'm sure TM wants to release it after Friday close or over the weekend to let good M3 news overshadow it.

So far, the deliveries have been announced within 3 days, even if on a weekend.

Yes, Kruggerand, agree on China...nevertheless an error of doing business not foreseen by Tesla management.

It's not an error to trust the people you've hired to do a job, who would obviously be aware of the mission. That's on the dishonest people, not on Tesla.

On the laughing stock, yep agree there to a point also. He actually enjoys being a laughing stock because he has so much courage in his convictions that he knows he'll get the last laugh...and laugh longest.

Give me a break. Nobody in their right mind enjoys being a laughing stock. Especially not someone who was viciously bullied as a child, is 100% for mankind with unsurpassed passion, has risked everything and works as hard as this man.

The above is what 'YOU' think, it's not what Elon Musk thinks.

If he did sprout off too much fantasmagorical stuff (just because he can) and it later turned out that capital came at a higher cost to shareholders...well, then it defeats his purpose. He keeps the revealing of his plans just about in the range of what we ordinary folk and the markets can say "...Um...you know what...I guess that sounds plausible...Musk may not be so delusional after all."

*yawn*

Last edited:
Ya. I'd like TWO things to happen with respect to production of M3

#1. Increase their production capacity vs original plan. (Obviously)
I have a curious question please - if the massive preorders are a result of pent up demand (take for instance many folks who could not afford the S and the X and have been longing to own one) + new demand from viral news coverage, tweets etc, is it sensible to increase production capacity ? In other words, what if a massive chunk of demand came in a huge spike across a week and then dies down very quickly to a somewhat predictable rate. One cannot assume demand is crazy high if such a queuing theory model were to occur, right ?

@Ukland Wombat

I would like to ask you to stop replying to my posts please. I find your reimagining Musk as a juvenile to be intellectually offensive to me and toe-curlingly disrespectful to Elon Musk who under no circumstances no matter what he does in business derserves to be smeared with the notion of thinking or feeling the way you do about anything at all - and I for one want no part of it.

I put him on ignore list and life has been much better ever since.

One explanation is the Q1 report is positive (meet or beat), so TM wants to not overlap it with good M3 news over the weekend, so it becomes more likely to be released after Monday close or before Tuesday open. If the Q1 report is bad (miss), I'm sure TM wants to release it after Friday close or over the weekend to let good M3 news overshadow it.

+1. Completely agree

I have a curious question please - if the massive preorders are a result of pent up demand (take for instance many folks who could not afford the S and the X and have been longing to own one) + new demand from viral news coverage, tweets etc, is it sensible to increase production capacity ? In other words, what if a massive chunk of demand came in a huge spike across a week and then dies down very quickly to a somewhat predictable rate. One cannot assume demand is crazy high if such a queuing theory model were to occur, right ?

Once you have Model 3s on the road, in show rooms, fully tested and reported by "car experts", the flood of reservations will exceed what we have seen so far. This is the best car that money can buy in the mid price range; think millions and not hundreds of thousands.

Disappointed for that. Elon can't "lie" right before 3.6 million followers on Tweeter. I hope he's waiting for 300K number before announcing by Sunday night.

Another possibility to consider: he has good information in his hands, but stalls on its release to see where the market goes Monday, suck in a few shorts perhaps, and then release it at his moment of choosing (considering macro too) when he judges it will likely have the most positive effect.

The sheer beauty of reservation numbers as a tool, is that it is market manipulation without being illegal. This is just a CEO talking to his customers about the product they may want to reserve, and how long the line currently is.

I take your point in the main, but will add that their notes are loaded with self interest. That alone could motivate a note when the trajectory of the company isn't so clear (i.e. what exactly to put in their model?)...sort of taking advantage of the uncertainty.
Yet the self-interest on display in those analyst notes is more informative than the kind of off-the-wall speculation you can't seem to be able to refrain from posting.

But yes you are right...they don't worry about looking super silly.
There's an acute shortage of this kind of worry, apparently.

I think EM either release it tonight or skip it until next Wednesday (another promise?). We'll see Q1 report effect on Monday/Tuesday so it's better to avoid overshadowing each other.

Another possibility to consider: he has good information in his hands, but stalls on its release to see where the market goes Monday, suck in a few shorts perhaps, and then release it at his moment of choosing (considering macro too) when he judges it will likely have the most positive effect.

The sheer beauty of reservation numbers as a tool, is that it is market manipulation without being illegal. This is just a CEO talking to his customers about the product they may want to reserve, and how long the line currently is.

Last edited:
Interesting you say that...and of course I will oblige by not replying to you directly...no problem.

Thank you. As a parting jesture I will say that while I disagree wholeheartedly with your methods of arriving at conclusions my greatest and only concern for Tesla at this point is that you may in essence have gotten it right and which is the only possible remaining move on the chessboard as I see it that could possibly result in snatching defeat from the jaws of a total victory.

This is Sun Tzu 101. Even if Elon raised a $trillion right now he cannot out-spend the sum of his enemies in a head-on confrontation. He must resort to outsmarting them - prick their bubble, cause them them to fall in their own swords, use their own weight against themselves - all the while cultivating the appearance of being no threat. One Gigafactory or two makes little to no difference to the outcome but aggravating a head on confrontation before a single Model 3 rolls off the line as opposed to lulling the enemy back to sleep in a haze of its own denial until tens of thousands rapidly followed by millions of them are - really could. This and nothing else.

It may also be the case that the cat is out of the bag and he's more ready for a fight than the enemy or any of his friends knew. That would mean that the last two years were the stealth mode and the guy is a genius squared.

That way you would be right for all the wrong reasons and that would be absolutely superb and the stock ought to go directly to $700+

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.