Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No really, I must insist. Every single leg of the thesis supporting 27 million TSLA shares sold short will fall away in the coming 10 weeks starting with a 180 degree about turn in Tesla's fundamentals.

The shorts seriously seem to believe that Model S was losing money blind to the fact that Model S was Tesla's sole profit center while it binged cash into Model X and Tesla Energy development and hiring in readiness for Model X and Tesla Energy sales. Shorts tend to draw linear graphs through things and hence seriously seem to imagine that mythical Model S losses will be compounded by Model X losses. Considering the sheer amount of dumb money involved it's joke.

Next up: Model S profit center exposed + Model X profit center + Tesla Energy Profit Center + complete debunking of the myth of competition from third-rate PR stunts like the GM Bolt.
The shorts do t give a dang about deliveries. They are shorting a bear market. Analysis like this in a bear market is comical.

The market is pricing risk. the risky chinese debt situation, oil collapse and oil debt risk, slow global economic activity
risk, fed rate increase risk, and the lower earnings risk ahead for this quarter.

Risk equates with price concession.

Its not about tesla, its about general market risk.

Tesla gets hurt even further as it is a riskier venture in the short term.

Last edited:
No really, I must insist. Every single leg of the thesis supporting 27 million TSLA shares sold short will fall away in the coming 10 weeks starting with a 180 degree about turn in Tesla's fundamentals.

The shorts seriously seem to believe that Model S was losing money blind to the fact that Model S was Tesla's sole profit center while it binged cash into Model X and Tesla Energy development and hiring in readiness for Model X and Tesla Energy sales. Shorts tend to draw linear graphs through things and hence seriously seem to imagine that mythical Model S losses will be compounded by Model X losses. Considering the sheer amount of dumb money involved it's joke.

Next up: Model S profit center exposed + Model X profit center + Tesla Energy Profit Center + complete debunking of the myth of competition from third-rate PR stunts like the GM Bolt.
So you feel the recent downturn of TSLA is not market related but specific to the company?

From Julian's long verbose:

Once Tesla has become fully established and effectively able to lead the Daimler global operations in EV production, there appears to be a pre-arranged path for that to happen.

How's that relationsship with Daimler (and Toyota) going as of early 2016? Did any of the two companies invest in the GF? Does Tesla still provide development services?

Yes they do and sales less in 2014 and dropped more in 2015

Are you looking at global sales or making the common mistake to look at US/NA sales only to value a company doing business globally?

Renault obviously (almost) sells zero cars in the US and the Leaf had an important product transition in 2015 (which greatly impacted LEAF sales, some dealers still don't have the 30kWh version on the lots).

I wouldn't count out Nissan-Renault as the global EV sales leader over the coming years, especially once the Leaf2 and Zoe2 are launched ca. 2018.

PS: That stat prediction is ex-China and ex-PHEVs, BYD could outsell everyone if we include PHEVs in the sales stats.

Last edited:
It's so oversold right now it's not even funny. I wouldn't be too surprised for it to test $180 again in this environment in the absence of positive news. If we breach $190 I'm selling significant stakes in other stocks to load up on TSLA yet again.

What makes it oversold? I am sitting here in amazement watching the markets plummet, the day after President Obama claimed the U.S. economy was the strongest in the world and anyone who denies that is peddling fantasy. I turn on CNBC and all of a sudden the talking heads are saying the market is signaling recession.

Tell me how Tesla short term is going to move higher with the risk of a global recession? Good luck moving those six-figure cars as the market is crashing. Love the product and the company but really what is the short term reason to buy? Long term no brainer. But by what metric is the market and indeed TSLA oversold?

Once we get into fear based selling where does it stop? We have not had capitulation yet.

Careful what you wish for, forecast for Q1 deliveries could be problematic. Lots of S deliveries pulled forward into Q4 and X ramp may have issues. imo

Nah. Q1 production will be full steam ahead. Huge MX backlog to work thru and MS ordered today won't be delivered till March

more importantly, Free cash flow will be reaffirmed for Q1 and guidance into 2016 will be solid

So you feel the recent downturn of TSLA is not market related but specific to the company?

Regardless, how does a general market decline NOT affect TSLA? Lots of people paid for their cars with their gains from TSLA. From that aspect TSLA benefitted from a rising market. Could the inverse not cause some short term pain for TSLA if people start to defer their orders? Lots of good companies get punished in a bear market not because of fundamentals but because of the risk and impact of a prolonged downturn. Does not make people eager to invest $100K in a depreciating asset.

Just curious why you say 8 weeks tops? What are you looking for?

First up, January registrations possibly accompanied by some background of comment from Tesla on the Model X ramp and the commencement of Model X reviews, possibly awards.

Then earnings and Q1 guidance.

Then the onset of the Model 3 anticipation.

Inside of this period I expect to become apparent that the short thesis is fundamentally broken. It is fundamentally broken and that has been apparent at least to me since Nov 13th. 2015 @ $207. The data to prove it I expect to be generally obvious within this window.

Tell me how Tesla short term is going to move higher with the risk of a global recession? Good luck moving those six-figure cars as the market is crashing. Love the product and the company but really what is the short term reason to buy? Long term no brainer. But by what metric is the market and indeed TSLA oversold?

Well short term nothing is predictable but Tesla will move as many 6 figure cars as it can make, even short term, and take even more market share from others if there is a recession bad enough to cause the wealthy to pause spending. I mean even their leases end and cars get old and they need to replace cars. Why not with something that depreciates slower than the rest of the competition and has predictable operating costs.

Here is a made up metric by which Tesla is oversold : Stock Price/Cars delivered in the previous quarter :)

From Julian's long verbose:

How's that relationsship with Daimler (and Toyota) going as of early 2016? Did any of the two companies invest in the GF? Does Tesla still provide development services?

BTW if you had not quoted me out of context you would have seen that I made the case (in 2013) the Daimler relationship with Tesla was Daimler's opportunity of solving the Innovator's Dilemma (for Daimler).

Daimler (and Toyota) blew it. That was Daimler's shot. There is no longer any realistic chance of either of them participating in significantly, nor surviving the transition to EVs.

They, like Nissan are road kill. Note, Nissan is planning on trying to do something to compete with the GM Bolt by the end of the year. They are up against a lower-cost higher volume competitor ten weeks away from taking down C-Class vehicles (3-Series, C-Class, A-4, Lexus 3xx).

Last edited:
BTW if you had not quoted me out of context you would have seen that I made the case the Daimler relationship with Tesla was Daimler's opportunity of solving the Innovator's Dilemma (for Daimler).

Daimler (and Toyota) blew it. That was Daimler's shot. There is no longer any realistic chance of either of them participating in significantly, nor surviving the transition to EVs.

They, like Nissan are road kill. Note, Nissan is planning on trying to do something to compete with the GM Bolt by the end of the year. They are up against a lower-cost higher volume competitor ten weeks away from taking down C-Class vehicles (3-Series, C-Class, A-4, Lexus 3xx).

Hate to correct you on this but I don't think Toyota blew it. Toyota actually wanted way more volume than Tesla could provide. I believe Toyota will be back, whether or not it will be too late for them is the question that is up in the air.

Hate to correct you on this but I don't think Toyota blew it. Toyota actually wanted way more volume than Tesla could provide. I believe Toyota will be back, whether or not it will be too late for them is the question that is up in the air.

I think that is probably correct and more to the point Toyota never got themselves tight enough with Tesla nor into any position of leverage as Daimler gained, and subsequently lost.

Last time I checked (and it was a while) Toyota had circa $19.4 billion of cash on the books. Less than double the kind of cash Tesla could raise this year if it so happens to record 500K+ deposited Model 3 reservations which is I think at least 50% likely. With Toyota's futile diversionary tactics with Hydrogen FCVs they have fallen behind the technology curve and by the time they wake up and smell the coffee they will not just have Tesla wiping out their Prius and Lexus businesses they will also have Apple with ten times their cash and a far greater ability top raise more falling on them like a ton of bricks while they bleed customers and margins - and both Tesla and Apple well on the way to launching Autonomous Fleet Services. At that point I think Toyota's production lines will be on fire-sale for pennies on the dollar just like NUMMI was and their line workers and managers ready to walk if they haven't already been laid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.