Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly a computer-type joystick with limited potentiometer would be problematic, but side-stick controllers are used by the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds for precision formation flying in F-16s, and they do quite well. I think the practicality of a side-stick controller for an automobile depends upon the quality of that controller.

The risk that would pose to the master plan is huge. There would be so much R&D, and so many questions in the mind of the general public. Sales would suffer. It would be FWD x 10.

Is this question not fair game? I am certainly concerned about the potential because the Model 3 is so nice.

Sorry, it may be fair game, but it's like comparing large apples with small ones. Sure, the 3 is nice. Maybe half as nice as an S. But the S is larger, safer, roomier, and who knows how many other superlatives. AND YOU CAN OWN IT NOW! I have an order in for a 3 in case, in 3 years, I want to downgrade to something smaller. Did not say better.

Did the BMW3 kill the market for the BMW5?

In Europe, smaller is more the norm. That doesn't mean it's better, just that European roads and garages are narrow.

The S is the flagship. I don't see the 3 cannibalizing anything. Those of us over 6' may always appreciate the larger beauty.

Reactions: DrJohnM
And now for something completely different: and more related to short term TSLA price fluctuations.

The #PanamaPapers. You all know about this, right?

Almost no mention of American companies or wealthy persons yet. But mention is coming.

What happens to the stock if one or more investors/executives of Tesla/SpaceX are somehow involved? What happens if Elon's name pops up in the 2.6 terabytes of documents?

• Disagree
Reactions: Julian Cox
And now for something completely different: and more related to short term TSLA price fluctuations.

The #PanamaPapers. You all know about this, right?

Almost no mention of American companies or wealthy persons yet. But mention is coming.

What happens to the stock if one or more investors/executives of Tesla/SpaceX are somehow involved? What happens if Elon's name pops up in the 2.6 terabytes of documents?

Luckily, we know Elon keeps his money in Tesla, SpaceX, and SolarCity. I truly doubt he has any shell companies, regardless of how many terabytes there are. This actually doesn't seem related to TSLA at all.

The risk that would pose to the master plan is huge. There would be so much R&D, and so many questions in the mind of the general public. Sales would suffer. It would be FWD x 10.

I'm not convinced it'll be a side-stick controller, but I am willing to entertain that thought. Reading Elon's tweet response, " Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship" made me think very broadly. Personally, as an investor I'd be nervous about a side-stick controller and since Model 3 needs to be a success, most likely you are right. Nonetheless, at some point autonomous vehicles will indeed move away from a big steering wheel and towards something like a side-stick controller, before controls disappear altogether (not looking forward to that day). I see the layout of the dash as conducive to alternative designs.

Reactions: EnergyMax
Did the BMW3 kill the market for the BMW5?

In Europe, smaller is more the norm. That doesn't mean it's better, just that European roads and garages are narrow.

The S is the flagship. I don't see the 3 cannibalizing anything. Those of us over 6' may always appreciate the larger beauty.

Indeed, not to mention the S 2 years from now is going to be more impressive than the S of today.

Reactions: sundaymorning
image.jpeg
Is this question not fair game? I am certainly concerned about the potential because the Model 3 is so nice.

You must not have seen the X in person, the thing is a stud. S is still much nicer than 3. Not to mention roomier.

All the interior controls talk is getting out of hand. Elon's comment shouldn't be taken literally. What he means is that the interior will look great, similar to his second row seat comment on the X, "it looks like a museum." Does the the X second row really look like a museum? No, but it's darn cool to look at and luxurious as heck.

I agree, you guys are making me nervous.

As it stands, Model 3 is virtually a guaranteed earth-shattering success. But there is still the potential to grab defeat from the jaws of victory by introducing the latest whiz bang idea that turns out to be much more complicated than expected.

Maybe it is time for Tesla to implement a hard and fast rule that any brilliant new design ideas from here on out go into Model Y or Model 3 v 2.0. For Model 3 v 1.0 -- just get 'er done, get the ball into the end zone, KISS, and all that good stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: WarpedOne
I truly think you are going to see a very futuristic Model 3 with side-stick controller instead of steering wheel and heads-up display instead of an instrument cluster. This design is optimized for autonomous driving and will appeal to young people. As a general rule, the people whom Model 3 appeals to the most cannot afford an S or X. Some older people won't like it and they'll stick with Model S and Model X. Some people need the extra space of S or X. Some like the styling of S or X. Then there's the migration from Model 3 long wait to near deliveries for S and semi-near for X. Of course there will be some canibalization, but many of us think the flow in the opposite direction will be even stronger.

Why is Model S slated for a cost increase soon? Answer: there's a redesign with new equipment coming, plus there's a 100kwh battery soon to become an option.

I'm a young person and I'd detest a stick.

One big problem with sticks is that roads have imperfections. Hit one bump and suddenly your hand is jarred, causing your car to follow your hand right into the guardrail.

Worse yet, you brake hard by bringing the joystick back--the brake flings you forward, causing you to suddenly ludicrous mode your car straight through the back of the minivan in front of you.

You only have one hand to help stabilize controls with a center-mounted stick. You have two hands with a steering wheel.

In fighter jets you only have air to worry about perfect, predictable air.

Roads are two-dimensional. Jets are three-dimensional.

A stick is only a good idea for a car that's going to be 99.99%+ of the time driven autonomously. US regulation will definitely not be at that point, nor would Tesla emphasize performance if their intention was to rarely/never have people drive the car.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Sorry, it may be fair game, but it's like comparing large apples with small ones. Sure, the 3 is nice. Maybe half as nice as an S. But the S is larger, safer, roomier, and who knows how many other superlatives. AND YOU CAN OWN IT NOW! I have an order in for a 3 in case, in 3 years, I want to downgrade to something smaller. Did not say better.

Rob,
My S is approaching it's 3rd "birthday." In another 3 years I may replace it with an X, just because I may want easier access. If not for that, I still wouldn't want anything smaller than an S.

O

The S and the X are already drive by wire. As are most other modern vehicles. I know our 2013 Golf is drive by wire too.
Not true. The S and the X have a steering shaft and rack/pinion. Accellerator is "drive-by-wire" but the important steering and braking is mechanical. Your Golf is accelerator by wire only.

Attachments

• tesla-cc-04-1.jpg
    tesla-cc-04-1.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 58
Status
Not open for further replies.