Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Thursday evening Tesla thanked me by email for reserving a Model 3 and added, "We're currently increasing our production plans to minimize the wait for your Model 3."

That may be a hint that a favorable capital raise could be announced today.

There seems to be 2 schools of thought: They will wait for good quarterly results to announce a raise. Since Q1 ER seems to be out of play, that would be Aug for Q2 results. But that is a whole quarter later, and probably the quarter TM really want to make expansion plans. They are throwing out all sorts of signals that they are pleased with the model 3 reception and they want to alter production strategy. Even though they can get better terms later, there is some logic in doing in now since they get more time to work with the money, and the backers of the secondary can get quiet assurance that higher stock prices are in the cards... /tin foil hat off

I will throw in with the theory that it is about a capital raise.

I also bought an unwise amount of weekly calls. I think any reasonable theory about the conf call will be well received.

Reactions: hoang51 and sunhelm
On Thursday evening Tesla thanked me by email for reserving a Model 3 and added, "We're currently increasing our production plans to minimize the wait for your Model 3."

That may be a hint that a favorable capital raise could be announced today.

I think that is a pretty good guess.

The massive number of reservations took everyone by surprise, and with the stock price in the $250+ range, another Secondary Offering to raise capital to speed up production might make sense.

Other announcement possibilities: Asia and/or European factory plans. It may be a little too soon for that, but something I am keeping in mind. I expect a lot of competition among countries that want to attract Tesla investment in their communities.

Reactions: hoang51
What I find interesting is they are referring to an update on the company, not on the products.
Could they gave any material new information related to M 3 ramp?

I think stef nailed it, my guess too is that it'll be about their plan for factory #2 and that they are in discussion with serval countries/states(they might at least announce the region) and that they won’t be needing (yet) a capital raise for it as they got ridicule low rates from many banks :)

I think that is a pretty good guess.

The massive number of reservations took everyone by surprise, and with the stock price in the $250+ range, another Secondary Offering to raise capital to speed up production might make sense.

Other announcement possibilities: Asia and/or European factory plans. It may be a little too soon for that, but something I am keeping in mind. I expect a lot of competition among countries that want to attract Tesla investment in their communities.

That is basically the same thing. If it was an announcement of a cap raise, it would come with some sketch of how it would be spent. I think that is why it warrants a conf call (yeah, someone needs to confirm that is a true thing)

There seems to be 2 schools of thought: They will wait for good quarterly results to announce a raise. Since Q1 ER seems to be out of play, that would be Aug for Q2 results. But that is a whole quarter later, and probably the quarter TM really want to make expansion plans. They are throwing out all sorts of signals that they are pleased with the model 3 reception and they want to alter production strategy. Even though they can get better terms later, there is some logic in doing in now since they get more time to work with the money, and the backers of the secondary can get quiet assurance that higher stock prices are in the cards... /tin foil hat off

I will throw in with the theory that it is about a capital raise.

I also bought an unwise amount of weekly calls. I think any reasonable theory about the conf call will be well received.

+1 on why waiting until Q2 will just delay plan to accelerate Model 3 ramp. To paraphrase the Wentworth ad, "We need money and we want it now!"

Maybe Tesla Motors => Tesla?

I considered that, but way too boring, if it is just the housekeeping change. I figure they will do that, but they can just bundle that in with some ER with explanatory language. I find it more likely that they will wait for that change when it logically accompanies some real financial results from Tesla Energy. Since I think it is too early for that I don't think that is what it is.

Initiated a strangle (242.50 put / 247.5 call, both weeklies) during amateur hour when the SP was around 247. Sold the call at around 150% gain (covering the cost of the entire position + 33%) and now holding the put for protection in case the rest of the week goes south. I cooked up this strategy over the weekend to take advantage of the insane price swings and reversals that have been happening and to my surprise it worked.

My vote is for the capital-raising announcement. All the other suggestions - sure, why not, whenever...but: getting those bricks & mortar & bolts & rivets has got to get going now! for Tesla to be able to accommodate demand.

Just a reminder for those saying a Model S refresh would warrant an event - the 90 kwh battery and ludicrous mode were announced in a similar call. That's my guess. If I had two guesses, I would guess detailing an increase to Model 3 production plans. That is my hope, at least.

The difference is that the speed and battery upgrades could really be communicated just with numbers. If they do a refresh it would have to be an event, since the change is visual by definition. It would be boneheaded to do a conf call for that since all the questions would be about when they will show it, so they have to do that anyway.

it *could* be just the 100kWh and new pricing though. That follows the same pattern. I really hope not since it suggests they don't have immediate plans for a visual refresh, or they would bundle it all together.

The difference is that the speed and battery upgrades could really be communicated just with numbers. If they do a refresh it would have to be an event, since the change is visual by definition. It would be boneheaded to do a conf call for that since all the questions would be about when they will show it, so they have to do that anyway.

it *could* be just the 100kWh and new pricing though. That follows the same pattern. I really hope not since it suggests they don't have immediate plans for a visual refresh, or they would bundle it all together.

I think it depends how much of a refresh it is. If the nose cone is still there but is slightly adjusted, and the only other major changes are on the interior, it would be very anti-climactic to have an unveiling event. We know how wild speculation is for events like that; it would certainly lead to disappointment. Trip Chowdry would be declaring it a Model 3 delivery event.

Is this really an investor call or a press conference call? I suspect it's the latter. If it were an investor call don't they need to have that open to all shareholders?

It's a press call. I'm going to guess it's 100 kwh battery pack, Model S refresh, and Ludicrous down to 2.6 due to battery upgrade.

I don't think capital raise gets announced with it.

Reactions: hoang51
Status
Not open for further replies.