Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am surprised the S refresh isn't a winner in terms of news, but I need to repeat the mantra that the market doesn't care about product changes...

Short term: was bullish in hopes of a cap raise from the call-- didn't happen so now neutral
Medium term: Bearish. Q1 will be bad and there is not a lot of reason to be in the stock between now and then (anymore)
Long term: Super bullish. I will be all in sometime prior to the Q2 ER, but when I am not sure.

I think we had some model 3 euphoria running us up last 2 weeks that is (IMO) done now. I see us range bound or sagging slightly for a few months. No real reason to get out, no real reason to get in.

Edit: I bailed on my weekly calls for a small loss-- snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Ok, the product as produced isn't perfect, so a perfect-rating needs a slight derating. But, they're fixing it, which cannot be said for a lot of the other car companies out there. This is a positive, even though on the stock price side it is a negative. That's rather counterintuitive. On the stock side, if Tesla keeps delivering safe vehicles, this is a confirmation of the long-side stock being a better value than a company that makes less safe cars, and that should show through. (Question is whether it's already priced in.) So, the short term and the long term almost opposite reactions? Or is this only a short term thing?

Well I am surprised the S refresh isn't a winner in terms of news, but I need to repeat the mantra that the market doesn't care about product changes...

Short term: was bullish in hopes of a cap raise from the call-- didn't happen so now neutral
Medium term: Bearish. Q1 will be bad and there is not a lot of reason to be in the stock between now and then (anymore)
Long term: Super bullish. I will be all in sometime prior to the Q2 ER, but when I am not sure.

I think we had some model 3 euphoria running us up last 2 weeks that is (IMO) done now. I see us range bound or sagging slightly for a few months. No real reason to get out, no real reason to get in.

Edit: I bailed on my weekly calls for a small loss-- snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
There isn't an S refresh... Yet.

Model X seat issue will be paid for in full by seat supplier. Knowing this, the market has decided that an issue which will cost Tesla nothing is worth ~800 million worth of market cap, or ~300k per broken car seat...I wonder if the valuation people will complain? Since this is the sort of thing that matters to them after all...

Last edited:
It looks like Model X line might be tweaked quickly again for QC reasons. Further down on the page, someone refers to an issue on 3rd row of seats as causing some delays with deliveries. The good news is that any delays for a seat fix or any other issue at this time still result in 2nd quarter deliveries. If the tweaking of X body in white line is planned a couple weeks in advance, then Model S can be ramped up during this time to keep the final assembly line humming. I think the deployment of Model X vehicles to Tesla stores will be our sign that Tesla feels confident they need not tweak X so much any more.

Last week we received evidence from the Model X threads that there was an issue with the 3rd row of seats. It always pays to browse these threads to get a reality check on how well the vehicles are moving through the production process. The good news is that we now understand why there was a delay in deliveries of X recently, and the production line should be moving at regular speed now.

I'm curious when the fault was discovered. I think this is one of the "critical parts shortage" that was referred to in the 4/4 vehicle delivery report that slowed Model X ramp deliveries in Jan and Feb.

"The root causes of the parts shortages were: Tesla's hubris in adding far too much new technology to the Model X in version 1, insufficient supplier capability validation, ..."

Reactions: Lessmog and Drax7
Status
Not open for further replies.