Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone with experience care to confirm if I read the bunch of SEC filings coming out last night correctly? Seems like 4-5 Tesla executives, incl. JB, bought large(ish) number of shares @250.

Good sign, right?

I think they exercised their options then immediately sold their new shares. They do this periodically, probably to pay their bills. I don't recall seeing four of them do it at once, though.

I don't understand the fascination with a potential Apple buyout/investment in Tesla. Apple introduced the iPhone in 2007 -- almost a decade ago -- and the iPad a few years later. It hasn't done anything noteworthy since, other than generate massive revenues and profits from those breakthroughs.

Tesla is now a far more innovative company, and its ability to generate new ideas and technology seems to be accelerating. Apple has little to offer Tesla except a checkbook, Tesla can find that elsewhere if necessary without losing what has made it so exceptional.

My main interest is a minority investment would reset TSLA SP dramatically higher

I think they exercised their options then immediately sold their new shares. They do this periodically, probably to pay their bills. I don't recall seeing four of them do it at once, though.
normally the filing has both green (buy) and red (sell) lines to show that. I may have missed it but I only saw green now.

Last edited:
F
normally the filing has both green (buy) and red (sell) lines to show that. I may have missed it but I only saw green now.
I read it as they were awarded trenches of Incentive And Non-Qualified stock options that are exercisable starting on Oct. 11, 2016, with 1/48 of options becoming vested and exercisable every month thereafter (Note 1 on Each of Forms 4 in question). Options expire on 4/11/2026.

So, summarizing, there were no money changing hands, just that TM awarded options to several executives.

The important part to me is that exercise price tied to the market price at the time of the award ($249.92). Makes for a good incentive, i.e. financial interest of the Company's executives is well aligned with the interest of the shareholders.:)

------------------------EDIT-----------------------
The summary above is based on JB Straubel's Form 4. The Form 4's of others, in addition to the Incentive and Non-Qualified stock options, also include awards of Restricted Stock Units with $0 exercisable price (much smaller trenches than the Incentive and Non-Qualified stock options). The vesting dates vary, but they are all in future - Oct. 11, 2016 for Incentive and Non-Qualified stock options and Dec. 5, 2016 for the Restricted Stock Units. The vesting schedules also vary.

So the conclusion remains the same - no money changed hands at this time, as vesting starts later this year.

Last edited:
Well that was a non-event:

Motor Trend on Twitter

Discuss. This weird-mobile looks to be very conceptual and not really a nice car to ride in except for maybe a taxi service. Honestly, companies like Faraday Future have more to worry about due to this Apple Car than Tesla does. Then again, maybe Faraday Future is Apple in disguise. As a P85D driver, there is no way the Apple Car depicted here (if true) appeals to me and I would never spend $130-150,000 on a car that looked like that.

Reactions: hoang51
I can confirm you that MT's piece scheduled to be published tomorrow is going to be speculative and in no way a leak of Apple's design for Project Titian. Their teasers are very misleading.

Like I said yesterday. No new information. All speculation.

They basically got a bunch of people who know nothing about the project to speculate on what it could look like. The result is... well fugly. They are confusing Apple with a company that has no intention to sell any car - because that's what would happen if a company would bring to market something like that.

It will have no impact on Tesla or its stock.

Full article on speculative Apple Car:

Apple Car Exclusive: Experts on What Could Be a Game-Changer

I'm thinking this will have minimal impact on TSLA. The design is uninspiring to say the least, and there was no discussion of charging infrastructure. The algobot panic already hit yesterday. I'm predicting that the media response to Apple Car will be brutal, and that it's AAPL that will take the hit (inadvertently), not TSLA.

This isn't even the real Apple Car, if it exists.

Motor Trend hired some people to draw some pictures for them.

Well that was a non-event:

Motor Trend on Twitter

Discuss. This weird-mobile looks to be very conceptual and not really a nice car to ride in except for maybe a taxi service. Honestly, companies like Faraday Future have more to worry about due to this Apple Car than Tesla does. Then again, maybe Faraday Future is Apple in disguise. As a P85D driver, there is no way the Apple Car depicted here (if true) appeals to me and I would never spend $130-150,000 on a car that looked like that.

I want that 20 minutes of my life back.

I want that 20 minutes of my life back.
I don't know how they can think it's a good idea to take" we get some students at an art school kind of close to Apple's campus to brainstorm and guess what Apple might build a car to look like" and pretend it's some big exclusive article.

I guess this is the new frontier in click bait.

Good morning! I am watching closely all oil sectors for the Doha meeting Sunday. Speculation either way, and news either way will be like throwing a pebble in the pond for the markets, the ripples flowing outward, and by Tuesday will be long forgotten. However for short term plays it could steer the short term direction of this SP.

Here's what I have. We closed just under the 2nd pivot point which has strong resistance (yesterday's 2nd pivot was right around 255.7). Today we have two rangebound channels, go figure, one in an upward trend, the other in a downward trend. First the upward:
We have a first level of resistance at 256.9, if we can break that resistance, the second pivot of resistance is certainly at 260.10 & 260.20. I would be shocked if we break through and maintain above the second pivot point. I would look for the area between 255.7 & 259ish -- somewhere between those goal posts. I am fairly confident this is the track we are on today.

Downtrend: Looking at volume, RSI from yesterday - there are some strange patterns despite the higher SP. There are two levels of support at 249.3, if that fails, next level of support is 244ish on retracement.

I am really curious about ER numbers already being built in to this rally, and a possible bull trap when ER is released 5/5ish. Typically those specs pile on to a stock several weeks in advance to take down the price. It's no secret those ER numbers may not be 'awesome', so beware.

Anyone holding short term calls [or shorts] over the weekend? Just curious. Good luck everyone!

I don't know how they can think it's a good idea to take" we get some students at an art school kind of close to Apple's campus to brainstorm and guess what Apple might build a car to look like" and pretend it's some big exclusive article.

With yesterday's repeated tweets, and today's article, MotorTrend is saying "Ignore me in the future".

GM is playing fire. If Elon wants, he could take away most of Bolt's potential sales. All he need to do is just one twitt.
That GM executive surely has some very thick skin on his face. Does he think people forgot how that company literally went bankrupt a few years back and the only reason it is standing today is that the US government gave it a few billions of taxpayer money? Quite outrageous to boast like that.

I don't know how they can think it's a good idea to take "we get some students at an art school kind of close to Apple's campus to brainstorm and guess what Apple might build a car to look like" and pretend it's some big exclusive article.

+1

This is Motor Trend, who somehow accelerated the Ludicrous S P90D to 60mph in 2.6 seconds, but didn't provide any video of the event or any science behind it. 0.2 seconds faster than the manufacturer's 2.8-second time is quite a feat. Honestly without video evidence of the tests, I am minded to simply consider announcements like that to be made up... makes great headlines though.

I'd say "TSLA seems to be treading water" except it's amateur hour and anything could happen. The general market has opened quietly, so at least TSLA is following suit.

Those dismissing Apple should think twice. A company with 200 Billion in the bank can do a lot of things quickly and they definitely have the tech know how. Now with that being said launch of an apple car would have minimal Impact to Tesla. As Elon has always said the more the merrier. Legacy cars make will be in a world of hurt though.
In this case, the one that should think twice is Apple. Phone is easy, car is very hard. They couldn't get a good TV out after so many years. They will soon understand how hard the car is. Besides, as long as Tesla is on the market, it will be very difficult for Apple to make a profit.

Reactions: Ryo
anyone with experience care to confirm if I read the bunch of SEC filings coming out last night correctly? Seems like 4-5 Tesla executives, incl. JB, bought large(ish) number of shares @250.

Good sign, right?

I'm an executive compensation lawyer. These Form 4s just represent equity grants (note the "A" code, that means the awards were "acquired"). Some are incentive stock options (limited to $100k/year, but has favorable tax treatment if certain holding periods are met), some are nonqualified stock options (normal options, nothing fancy) and some are restricted stock units (basically just shares). These awards are most likely just annual long-term incentive grants - awards executives get every year for retention purposes (the RSUs) and to drive performance (the options). They vest over time subject to continued employment. No money has changed hands, no awards have vested and no shares have been sold.

In this case, the one that should think twice is Apple. Phone is easy, car is very hard. They couldn't get a good TV out after so many years. They will soon understand how hard the car is. Besides, as long as Tesla is on the market, it will be very difficult for Apple to make a profit.

Bears had the same argument about Tesla. If Tesla can make a compelling car on a shoestring budget a well establish tech company with loads of cash can too. Failure in the TV market has nothing to do with Apple but more to do with the current state of networks and their dying financial model. The tide will eventually turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.