Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh? Have you ever walked into a store, realized the line was "too long" and then walked out? I do...
Exactly. There's a limit to how many people are willing to put a $1000 deposit down now on a car they won't be able to put their hands on for 2 to 3+ years. With no new news and no schedule pull-in, we've reached the asymptote.

Quote from Elon (Journalists words?) from a meeting with the norwegian Prime minister earlier today.
This is new information, or?

Google translate: Oles klode: Elon Musk: «Takk, Norge!»

"We have an idea. It's not exactly a bus. But we think differently about how we transport people. I will not say too much now, but we're working on something that can solve the problem of too many vehicles in cities. A new type of car, not a bus exactly, but ... which can carry people wherever they are going. Right from the door and where they are going, so that you avoid going to bus stations.

More precise, he would not be in fear of the headlines ..."

Perhaps part Two of model 3 reveal? A autonomous Uber-function? :) Or something else, still just an idea..?
A Tesla solution that makes the most sense is a small autonomous "bus" that comes to your home when you need it, the system is smart enough to pick up more people if all are going to the same direction. Most people can finish his trip in a timely point to point manner. It can drop "Joe" half way and tell another "bus" to pick him up and finish his remaining trip if that's necessary. On top of the bus fleet, it can also have autonomous cars if the customer prefer for that trip.

This is overall the most efficient way to ship people around city. Uber and Lyft will drop to near zero, the current bus and taxi system will become history.

Exactly. There's a limit to how many people are willing to put a $1000 deposit down now on a car they won't be able to put their hands on for 2 to 3+ years. With no new news and no schedule pull-in, we've reached the asymptote.

That's what should be so shocking to the other auto makers. Almost 400K for something nobody has driven yet. What happens once people see one in their neighbor's driveway? Posted this elsewhere, but when I was in line on the 31st, I discovered that none of the five people around me had even test driven a Tesla (and, of course, none of us knew what the 3 would look like)

Me thinks Elon is referring to an autonomous Model 3 urban fleet, controlled by computers at Tesla.

I have long wondered what Tesla's city charging solution will be. This is an interesting (and even genius) solution for taking on Uber, but what of the folks like me who own a Tesla (or want to own a Tesla) living in the middle of a big city? I'm surrounded by millions of people living in apartments and condos and virtually all buildings have 0 or inadequate charging infrastructure.

Superchargers generally are not built in the middle of cities, probably due to potential local overuse and the cost of land. Destination chargers are typically tied hotels/guests or inside expensive parking garages. Many people I talk to are skeptical of Tesla due to this point - charging a car already seems scary/a hassle to them, and then they think home charging is either very difficult or incredibly expensive. Model S owners more often have the means to pay the 3-7x normal cost of installing an outlet in their $50k deeded parking space if even allowed to do so by the condo association or whatever, but non-early adopter Model 3 owners are less often in this same position-especially with apartment living. Mass EV adoption will certainly be delayed in cities unless something is done. Apartment management may eventually warm to the idea of taking car charging needs seriously but keep in mind that we don't all live in CA - acceptance takes way longer elsewhere (just talk to my condo board president).

Sorry to wander off topic.

I hope you can appreciate why some members of the forum may find it off-putting when others make all sorts of oracular pronouncements then act coy when pressed on the details.
In my view, what Julian has been talking about yesterday and today is very intelligent. - the Summer scenario, how the shorts move the stock and how a long view the fluctuation who borrowed a brain from short......
We all understand prediction is never a sure thing, especially if we are predicting stock movement. Julian laid down a scenario that has a good chance to happen, the timing maybe off a bit, the amplitude may vary, the trigger events maybe different. The important part is, if you know this could happen, mentally prepared, you will know what to look for, and how to act if it does happen. I don't understand why Elon disclosed the "autonomous bus" idea today. I thought he would hide the card for for a little longer.

Reactions: ggies07
What may make sense is a system where once you enter your destination a small automous vehicle picks you up, drops you off at the optimum time/ place for you to take an other larger shared transport solution and then a separate vehicle is timed to arrive on the other end to take you to your final destination.

There are a lot of solutions (not all optimal) for shared mobility with autonomous components

I think there are three major components to movement this year. 1. Cash flow breakeven 2. GF operational status (TE allows ramp prior to M3 production) and 3. Status and timing of M3 production

A fourth may be significant S/X demand showing ramp to >100k in 2017.

I would have added a new Gf or factory but I think this may be viewed as a negative if 1-3 are unresolved

Reactions: hoang51 and everman
Me thinks Elon is referring to an autonomous Model 3 urban fleet, controlled by computers at Tesla.

Model 3 is not an urban car. Certainly not a people carrier for speeds less than 50 mph. The Model 3 has heavy emphasis on aerodynamics and battery size for long distance highway driving.

It may very well be that Faraday Future is working on such a people carrier.

Tesla may be working on such a vehicle, but it likely isn't the Model 3 that we've seen.

Reactions: MitchJi
This is interesting: looks like Dan Galves coverage of Tesla was too bullish for Credit Suisse taste - they terminated coverage of TSLA as Dan Galves apparently ends his association with the Bank. Snippet via StreetInsider:

Credit Suisse terminates coverage on Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) and removes it from the U.S. and Global focus list following the departure of the primary analyst, Dan Galves.

I have long wondered what Tesla's city charging solution will be. This is an interesting (and even genius) solution for taking on Uber, but what of the folks like me who own a Tesla (or want to own a Tesla) living in the middle of a big city? I'm surrounded by millions of people living in apartments and condos and virtually all buildings have 0 or inadequate charging infrastructure.

Superchargers generally are not built in the middle of cities, probably due to potential local overuse and the cost of land. Destination chargers are typically tied hotels/guests or inside expensive parking garages. Many people I talk to are skeptical of Tesla due to this point - charging a car already seems scary/a hassle to them, and then they think home charging is either very difficult or incredibly expensive. Model S owners more often have the means to pay the 3-7x normal cost of installing an outlet in their $50k deeded parking space if even allowed to do so by the condo association or whatever, but non-early adopter Model 3 owners are less often in this same position-especially with apartment living. Mass EV adoption will certainly be delayed in cities unless something is done. Apartment management may eventually warm to the idea of taking car charging needs seriously but keep in mind that we don't all live in CA - acceptance takes way longer elsewhere (just talk to my condo board president).

Sorry to wander off topic.
I know this idea didn't take ground, but what if when the cars are fully autonomous, they can just take themselves to a battery swap station.....done and done.

Johan said:
I'm still not clear where the X fits in to master plan. Andrea James asked about this on one of CCs and Elon basically answered that it wasn't a vital part of the plan, but that they wanted to build this exceptional car because they could. In retrospect they have themselves called hubris.
4) IMO the X serves the role as a bridge to Model 3, that couldn't come before 2017 due to battery tech/price and battery supply. The bridge is financial (revenue) and to keep Tesla in the front of people's (and investor's) minds as the leading auto maker. Preferably it should also further solidify Tesla technological superiority.
It will also remove a large number of gas guzzlers from the road, demonstrate that SUV's and gas guzzlers don't have to be synonymous and provide OEM's another kick in the shorts (SUV's are a big revenue stream for OEM's).

Something like the MS in a different market segment.

Reactions: Johan
I know this idea didn't take ground, but what if when the cars are fully autonomous, they can just take themselves to a battery swap station.....done and done.

I'm not sure this idea will ever take off with regular Tesla owners. People are attached to their batteries and go to great lengths to do things that they think limit degradation. The risk that someone will be swapped an "abused" battery may also keep these vigilant folks on the sidelines, leaving a pool of "battery abusers" using the swap stations. I think it makes great sense for Model S limo drivers/Model 3 taxis etc.

I'm not sure this idea will ever take off with regular Tesla owners. People are attached to their batteries and go to great lengths to do things that they think limit degradation. The risk that someone will be swapped an "abused" battery may also keep these vigilant folks on the sidelines, leaving a pool of "battery abusers" using the swap stations. I think it makes great sense for Model S limo drivers/Model 3 taxis etc.
True and I agree. Sorry, I thought the conversation was based around when/if Tesla had its own autonomous car service.

Status
Not open for further replies.