Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla selects Hankook Tire as main supplier for Model 3 tires

If true, this shows Tesla is serious about the accelerated ramp (not that I had a doubt). Wouldn´t have thought that tires are something especially critical, but if they are designed specifically for M3 to have superior rolling resistance, might be good to have agreements so far ahead.
This is an example of a lesson learned. After the Model S launch, they were air-freighting tires from Continental in Europe!

Thx. I noticed same on Tesla's Mgmt page. Just 3 people. Not just him. Franz isn't their either.

Looks like Gilbert has been moved off years ago to side projects. It's impossible to know if he underperformed or Elon was just being unreasonable.

I doubt that that underperformance had anything to do with Gilbert's move to other projects. Elon is quick to fire anyone who isn't pulling their weight.

The simplest and most likely explanation IMO is that Gilbert's skill sets and talents were better suited to the other projects.

It is part of the program` grasshoppers. When you see no difference in spacing you are zen and have reached nirvana.

(OR you just have to get up and straighten those 'f..in' painting or it will drive you crazy!!!!)

First part - not helpful (no button for that. :()

Second part - Right?! (no button for that either. :mad:)

All I want to know is: When exactly will we be able to create our own buttons?! I got a bunch of ideas. Oh, and just because you (general) can't equate any of 'this' to Short Term investing, doesn't mean I can't or haven't (in my head). I am unhappy about the $207.61 close, but quite content with the $207.00 after hours even though that means less money in my pocket. I'm thinking there should be some investing rule that you can only trade $1 increments - or one penny when that means the number will end in a 9 (because that's my fav number).

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
More news on suppliers from the X forum:

Picked mine up at the factory this morning. 90d non pup, Spoiler appears fixed(even when powered down). Quality seems great. Vin21xx. Dropped off for clear bra and tinting so will post pics once it's home.

Also, saw the model 3 prototypes. They had an event for the suppliers today.

One of the pics he posted shows a black M3 - has anyone seen that before? Or is it just the lighting and it´s the grey one from the reveal?

The model 3 was matte black. From what I was told there are currently only three prototypes. Tires had some wear on them so I suspect they have been doing a good amount of testing. Pics attached for the lazy.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: JRP3 and Ryo
I deliberately chose to not apply the full 30% off, going for 20% instead. Yes, they might save another thousand or two, but I didn't want to count on it.
Your number is definitely inaccurate (too low). Both Panasonic and Tesla have stated repeatedly that the 30% figure is a conservative number. Elon and JB explained that it's largely because of custom cell manufacturing equipment and collocation of processes.
As I mentioned a day or two ago, to hire someone serious who knows what it takes to manufacture cars at Elon's desired level and time-frame, that person would expect to see a credible and imminent financial plan. I believe that to now be the case.
The person would also want to be sure that there's a credibile production plan. I just emailed the following to a friend:
Tesla has been recruiting "world class aces" in production. I'm pretty sure that Elon has been askinppg the people that he interviews how they think he can improve S-X production and getting opinions on the his production goal. He didn't just pick a number out of the air.

Sure. Thx. There's no way the first assembly line would be capable of less than 150k/year since the existing MS/MX line is capable of that amount at least. So, the lower bound is 150k. Likewise, I haven't found examples of lines producing more than a couple hundred thousand per line per year. If the goal is 500k / yr rate by end of 2018, then a few lines make perfect sense at Fremont. Additional lines at EU/APAC factories later.
I think that it doesn't make any sense at all to build multiple M3 lines at Fremont. They would need to build two simultaneously to get to 200k by the end of the 2012.
FredTMC said:
important to understand that tesla won't be scaling tooling for 500k anytime soon. Only need to invest in half scale (phase 1) for now. Similar to GF multi year buildout
It's impossible to get to 200k by the end of 2017 and do a multi-phase build out. If they do multiple smaller lines their schedule mandates simultaneous lines. Or they could do one bigger line. Nothing else fits Elon's estimated production levels.

Last edited:
Interesting Motor Trend articles about visiting OEM Production Lines:
Inside the Machine: What I've Learned From Auto Factory Tours - Motor Trend
I don’t know why many of my media colleagues hate auto factory tours. Sure, we all want to get behind the wheel and take the latest new car for a good thrash, but I’ve always believed you never really understand a car unless you’ve seen how it’s made. The interaction of people, politics, and process—and the indefinable alchemy that results—is what makes a Chevy different from a Ford, a Toyota different from a Honda, a Mercedes-Benz different from a BMW. And it all comes together on the factory floor.
How the Toyota New Global Architecture Will Impact Mass-Car Building
May 2015
The World's Largest Car Company Reinvents Itself

• Informative
Reactions: CButterK
Your number is definitely inaccurate (too low). Both Panasonic and Tesla have stated repeatedly that the 30% figure is a conservative number. Elon and JB explained that it's largely because of custom cell manufacturing equipment and collocation of processes.

I think for the full pack price the cost improvement will need to be more than 30% to produce the M3.

The actual dollar cost between manufacturers is unknowable. No manufacturers will disclose enough details to compare apples to apples. Tesla in particular will capitalize pack development costs that other manufacturers will likely expense.

The person would also want to be sure that there's a credibile production plan. I just emailed the following to a friend:

I think that it doesn't make any sense at all to build multiple M3 lines at Fremont. They would need to build two simultaneously to get to 200k by the end of the 2012.

The problem is the starting figure... under $190/kWh all in cost most likely includes the USD/Yen changes that have dropped prices dramatically since 2013. So is it another 30%? Maybe, maybe not. Plus, any commodity price and FX changes... primarily with the CAD/USD since nickel and bauxite often comes from Canada might cause issues with hitting another 30%. Commodity prices are already pretty low, so if they go up, it could erase some of the process efficiency gains. Besides, the point can be made that the Model 3 is viable as a gross margin positive product without going to the full 30%.

The problem is the starting figure... under $190/kWh all in cost most likely includes the USD/Yen changes that have dropped prices dramatically since 2013. So is it another 30%? Maybe, maybe not. Plus, any commodity price and FX changes... primarily with the CAD/USD since nickel and bauxite often comes from Canada might cause issues with hitting another 30%. Commodity prices are already pretty low, so if they go up, it could erase some of the process efficiency gains. Besides, the point can be made that the Model 3 is viable as a gross margin positive product without going to the full 30%.
Tesla's current pack costs are more likely $170 per kWh. $190 is the maximum possible since the April 2015 TE Launch, which might be after most of the USD Yen exchange rate changes that you mentioned?

You think that buying the raw materials directly from the mines in Canada at a larger scale will increase their costs?

It is not the full 30%, because that's a conservative estimate.

Plus it doesn't account for cell chemistry improvements.

Tesla's current pack costs are more likely $170 per kWh. $190 is the maximum possible since the April 2015 TE Launch, which might be after most of the USD Yen exchange rate changes that you mentioned?

You think that buying the raw materials directly from the mines in Canada at a larger scale will increase their costs?

It is not the full 30%, because that's a conservative estimate.

Plus it doesn't account for cell chemistry improvements.

If one estimated the cost of the pack back in 2013, it likely was somewhere around $230/kWh and Tesla charged customers about $305/kWh. Maybe it was lower, but one would assume their GM would have been much better if it were substantially lower. Since then, commodity prices have plunged and the dollar has gotten much stronger. Since Tesla buys the cells in yen, there is about 25-30% off on the cell portion, the pack assembly costs are likely not all that much different. That leads us to the $185/kWh pricing. Back in 2013/2014, Tesla was talking about the Gigafactory and shaving 30% off the price of batteries. It wasn't clear exactly how that would happen other than consolidating production into one location of the various parts of the cell and achieving scale. I suspect it has to do with energy management, cutting out shipping, and compressing margins with scale. After all, one has to use a lot of energy to just charge and discharge the cells during production so there is always a ready amount of energy storage on site that has to be used. In any case, if the 30% is all process innovation, then we get another 30% on the $185/kWh. There might be savings in the pack integration as part of that, but one would assume that if there were a lot to be saved there, they would have already done it. Maybe just changing to bigger cylindrical cells will make some significant savings. In any case, that's $130/kWh. However, since commodity prices are really low, if those prices go back up somewhat, that will erase some of the 30% drop that has happened ahead of the Gigafactory process improvements. So instead of starting at $185/kWh, a significant rise in nickel, aluminum, cobalt, synthetic graphite, and/or lithium prices could make an impact of the next 2-5 years. So instead of modeling for $130/kWh, I chose to use $150/kWh to counter those arguments that the commodity prices aren't going to stay this low. The point is to make sure that the Model 3 is a viable product without needing to squeeze every last cost improvement on the pack.

At 55 kWh * $150/kWh, we're talking $8,250 for the Model 3 pack.
At 52 kWh * $130/kWh, we're talking $6,760 for the Model 3 pack.
At 60 kWh * $215/kWh, we're talking $12,900 for the Bolt pack.

Now, the Bolt pack pricing is expected to stay the same through 2019 according to GM's graph. We expect that Tesla's cell pricing to continue to improve.

I completely agree.

Ramping to 500k Model 3s is done in STAGES (just like GF multi year buildout).

Step #1. For 2017 model 3 initial production they'll bring up a SINGLE assembly-line with a max output of ~200k cars/year. This M3 assembly line is similar in output as the MX/MS existing assembly line.

Step #2. In 2018, they'll bring online a second assembly line for model 3 at Fremont

Step #3. Beyond 2018, they'll bring up factory in EU &/or Asia.

Bottom line: ONLY Step#1 capital is needed NOW.
Step #1 includes: Model 3 tooling, human assembly line, Body-in-white line

As discussed above, these are done:

- Model 3 production powertrain is done (per Elon / CC)
- Paint shop.
- stamping presses in place. Just need the dies.

How much additional CapEx is needed for step 1? I'm guessing ~$1B
A single line cannot produce 100-200k in 3 months near end of 2017. Im betting for 2 lines

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Status
Not open for further replies.