Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To clarify, the first six Xs at the reveal were Founders versions (one of which was Elon's X).

oops. I meant Founders edition not signature. So the 5 guys bought it sight unseen except for the Part 1 reveal? Sorry for stretching this, but my point being, based on what happened with the model X reveal (Model X would have had a "real" Part 2 reveal well before manufacturing/delivery, if it wasn't for the delay) I expect the Part 2 Model 3 reveal to be sooner than next year.

I hope it won't. Only adds complexity to the production/manufacturing schedule.

@Fallenone, I was thinking the same. But I can see them doing that...;)

Tesla has more than enough demand with Model 3.

Once it begins to taper then add Model Y.

Sorry for people that want a coupe or convertible Gen III Tesla. o_O
A couple of weeks ago I would have said the same thing. But what if... Revealing the Y is the perfect way to "tame" M3 demand. If they show a Design Concept or Beta version of Y, announce production to, say, 2019 and allow M3 reservation holders to convert to Y for free, they could shift some of the (by that time 500k+) demand to 2019.

I hope it won't. Only adds complexity to the production/manufacturing schedule.

I agree 100% with this.

But my guess is that the Model Y reveal will be either some time before the Model 3 launch or shortly after. That will allow Tesla to take pre-orders to plan Y production so it can start seamlessly once Model 3 production has ramped up and the kinks have been worked out. Given Model 3 demand, cannibalization of Model 3 orders should be a non-issue. But there is no rush -- they will have their hands full with the Model 3 for a while and are not going be close to meeting the demand just for Model 3 even if they reach their goal of producing 350,000-400,000 in 2018.

I think there could be Model 3 evolutions before/instead of a model Y. It looks to me that the roof on the model 3 can be tweaked into a five door without launching a whole new chassis.

The model X doesn't seem to be particularly successful at adding space compared to the model S. Perhaps the battery budget for a full SUV is too costly at this point in time in a mid priced EV.

Both Nissan and Audi are showing prototypes of an EV CUV, not a full upright SUV. I think a chunky model 3 CUV might be the easiest path to more demand.

Reactions: Buran and SBenson
A new Audi manufacture professional joins Tesla!! I hope the media picks this up, this is very positive news.

Very good to see more deep / relevant talent coming onboard. Worries me though that tesla is going into "battle" (model 3) with a new mfg leader. May go well with him or may not. I hope his English is super strong. Hope he has thick skin and tons of energy.

I still miss Gilbert Passin in charge of vehicle production. He has same resume/experience. Still with tesla fortunately.

Reactions: sundaymorning
Adding to the rumors. See model Y thread. I believe post #19. Someone said Part 2 Model 3 reveal will be Model Y!

When will the Model Y be unveiled?

rumors, rumors...

There are bigger dreamers than I am :)

Yes, by all means ignore the people with manufacturing experience and continue with the cartoon version of Tesla.

Actually, I follow all the TSLA shorters on twitter - Logical Thought, Montana skeptic, E.W. Niedermeyer, TFTF et al - to see if they can make a compelling bear case in 140 characters. That way, I don't have to waste my time reading their essay style ad hominem attacks on Elon Musk and TSLA. So far, they have been abjectly disappointing.

Last edited:
Some asked for an update when we got our X. Reserved 3 years ago. Confirmed December 1st. Went into production the first week of April. Made it to the SC 4 weeks after that. Two weeks at the SC getting perfected. We picked up the car Friday night. This is our 3rd Tesla in 3 years. The interior is a step up compared to my 2015 P85D Model S. The FWDs are awesome, and shouldn't be much more of a warranty problem than the powered rear liftgate, which many other cars have as well. At Costco yesterday, we parked as far from the entrance as possible, away from other cars. When we got in to leave, a car drove up and complimented us on how beautiful the X is. We started talking, and eventually their entire family was inside our car, checking it out. While this was happening, another stranger road by on a bicycle, and said "beautiful car!" I doubt Mercedes owners without FWDs get those compliments. The doors make getting into the car easier, and are pure marketing genius.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Actually, I follow all the TSLA shorters on twitter - Logical Thought, Montana skeptic, E.W. Niedermeyer, TFTF et al - to see if they can make a compelling bear case in 140 characters. That way, I don't have to waste my time reading their essay style ad hominem attacks on Elon Musk and TSLA. So far, they have been abjectly disappointing.

In the past I felt that Montana Skeptic's essays made some good points about Tesla's potential weaknesses. But he has devolved into unbalanced ranting. Every cultural movement has a counter movement, I guess.

A couple of weeks ago I would have said the same thing. But what if... Revealing the Y is the perfect way to "tame" M3 demand. If they show a Design Concept or Beta version of Y, announce production to, say, 2019 and allow M3 reservation holders to convert to Y for free, they could shift some of the (by that time 500k+) demand to 2019.
This is an interesting point. But still I think it may do more harm than good. Not only they need to squeeze the RND of Model Y into the heavily burdened balance sheet for expanding production of Model 3, but also their "growth team" would re-work what they've done with the Model 3 growth curves. A very bad situation might be Tesla did manage to expand to 500k/year rate in 2018, but due to the divergent of Model Y demand, it can only get 300k/year demand from Model 3/S/X. That would be pretty ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.