Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$185 - .35 equals $125. Thirty percent due to the GF and about five percent due to cell improvements. Panasonic and Tesla both have repeatedly said that the GF will conservatively reduce pack costs by 30%, and Elon and JB have said that when the. GF starts producing cells there will be a "moderate, not big not small" improvement due to cell chemistry.

Normally on this forum when someoe states that they have professional experience it's because they can't make a convincing case.

I deliberately chose to not apply the full 30% off, going for 20% instead. Yes, they might save another thousand or two, but I didn't want to count on it.

Here are a few select metrics over the past 6 quarters:
View attachment 176197

First, deliveries are high in Q4, 2015, but remember that's a lot of hangover from Q3. If you smooth Q3 and Q4 out, looking at total deliveries by moving 2k into Q3, then the deliveries looks like it stair steps up pretty handily. During all this time, the customer deposits number hold pretty strong, even going up for Q4 2014 while deliveries was quite strong. If demand was flat, we should have seen a $14 million dollar drop - instead, we got a $14 million dollar increase. If you look at Q1 2016, Tesla claims that there was a $100 million dollar increase on Model S and X alone. No mention of Model 3 in the customer deposits number, I suspect because the credit cards need to be processed first.

Now back to production. Note how the raw material and work in progress numbers jump up massively for the last two quarters. We had been at under $400 million for some time in raw materials. The work in progress is expected to increase as the factory increases in production rate - so we go from roughly $60-90 million to $163 million in Q4 and almost $200 million in Q1, 2016! All the time, deliveries have not kept pace. Finished goods inventory normally also increases as production rate increase, but it actually dropped from Q3 to Q4 as a big backlog of Model S finally got delivered. Again, look at production in Q1 and Q2 of 2015... 11k to 13k. We get all the way to Q1, 2016 and it's 15.5k, a 40% increase. But the work in progress skyrockets at more than double as customer deposits also go up.

This doesn't look like Tesla is holding back production. The answer Tesla has been giving us and the Model X's sitting at Service Centers awaiting final parts tells us the straight forward answer. Since the parts commonality between the Model S and X is not altogether that high, Tesla has to choose the production allocation between the two models well in advance. Obviously, they ordered up a lot of raw materials. And they have a lot in work in progress. If the Model X production stalls, they can only move so much production over to the S between the shared production lines and the parts ordered. Obviously, they did some hedging since they did order a lot of S parts, otherwise the last two quarters would have been disastrous. But not enough to fully cover the Model X shortfall. Obviously, Tesla still felt that the Model X production problems would have been solved already. Simply, the numbers don't tell us that they're holding back production due to demand issues, it's clearly production problems with the X.

There's basically an extra $150 million dollars or so of raw materials and work in progress due to Model X production problems.
This is excellent analysis. I very much appreciated the use of multiple lines of data to tell a more complete story. This is well more than just a response to the demand debate. This is material investors really need to understand. The pile up of raw materials and WIP is obviously a strain on cash flow. As the production issues resolve, we should see cash flow improve. A portion of cost of goods to be delivered in Q2 was essentially prepaid in Q1.

Thanks, Techmaven!

Reactions: techmaven
So April car sales looked good across the board in Europe and the US according to official data released today.
This is on top of Tesla specific info such as the Inside EV report that noted model S demand in April was unprecedented, and also supportive comments from the recent CC.
It seems unlikely that we are demand constrained just yet, within a generally healthy market.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
i've seen you post this multiple times as if this is fact. not sure why you feel so confident about this idea of having multiple different assembly lines, with the first only being capable of less than 200k cars per year -- on the earnings call elon indicated that tesla would likely make ~100k model 3 cars in 2017, which would not be possible if volume production starts on a line only capable of 200k for a full year.

maybe i'm missing something -- could you explain where you get the impression that they are going to build the production line as you suggest?

thanks,
surfside

Sure. Thx. There's no way the first assembly line would be capable of less than 150k/year since the existing MS/MX line is capable of that amount at least. So, the lower bound is 150k. Likewise, I haven't found examples of lines producing more than a couple hundred thousand per line per year. If the goal is 500k / yr rate by end of 2018, then a few lines make perfect sense at Fremont. Additional lines at EU/APAC factories later.

Cheers

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
In addition to my Negativity Scale, I also check on Elon's tweets to determine his level of irritability.

He's let everyone know when he thought the stock was dearly priced. He also gets perturbed when the stock gets hammered, and negative articles get printed. Lately he's sent out a couple of tweets showing that he's irritable, mainly with the LA Times article and the 'overrated' article.

I believe he thought that the stock would rise, not fall, after the CC. He's pissed that the market doesn't believe him. That bodes well for us.

a few times on earnings calls, it's been obvious that he's heard various bear smears of the preceding weeks, was not amused by them, and with quite a bit of energy, tears them to shreds. no guarantees, but we do have the annual meeting coming up in two and a half weeks.

Sure. Thx. There's no way the first assembly line would be capable of less than 150k/year since the existing MS/MX line is capable of that amount at least. So, the lower bound is 150k. Likewise, I haven't found examples of lines producing more than a couple hundred thousand per line per year. If the goal is 500k / yr rate by end of 2018, then a few lines make perfect sense at Fremont. Additional lines at EU/APAC factories later.

Cheers
so my question is actually the opposite of what you suspected (not that the 200k seems too high, but that it is too low) - my point is you can't make 100k cars in three months on a line that is set up for 200k per year. I don't see how they can phase in the production with multiple lines and still manage to make 100k cars in 2017. as for precedent, i have to believe there are plenty of auto manufacturing lines capable of producing more than a couple hundred thousand per year. maybe McRat can enlighten us :)

let me know if i'm missing something.

surfside

Reactions: MitchJi
Nice. My question has been where in the world in Gilbert Passin?! He's been the VP of mfg at Fremont since ~2010 and is highly regarded. Came from Canada Lexus plant producing 200k/yr of the Lexus RX350

Tesla Hires Toyota Manufacturing Expert
Gilbert's Linkedin page lists new responsibility but he is no longer on Tesla management page like he once was.

2010 - 2013
- Plan, Launch & Run the Model S Vehicle Manufacturing Operations - Fremont Factory, CA

2013 - Present
- Plan, Launch & Run the World Wide Remanufacturing Operations for Tesla.
- Plan, Launch & Run the new Machining, Casting & Extrusions Operations - Lathrop Factory, CA
- Plan, Launch & Run the new European Manufacturing Operations - Tilburg Factory, NL
- Plan, Launch & Run the new Tesla Energy operations - Fremont Factory, CA
- Run the Supercharger Operations - Fremont Factory, CA
- Ran the OEM Operations to build & supply electric powertrain components to Toyota Rav4 EV - Fremont Factory, CA
- Plan, Launch & Run the OEM Operations for Daimler B Class EV - Fremont Factory, CA

Management | Tesla Motors
It would be nice if they listed more "management" or updated the page.

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes and MikeC
Gilbert's Linkedin page lists new responsibility but he is no longer on Tesla management page like he once was.

2010 - 2013
- Plan, Launch & Run the Model S Vehicle Manufacturing Operations - Fremont Factory, CA

2013 - Present
- Plan, Launch & Run the World Wide Remanufacturing Operations for Tesla.
- Plan, Launch & Run the new Machining, Casting & Extrusions Operations - Lathrop Factory, CA
- Plan, Launch & Run the new European Manufacturing Operations - Tilburg Factory, NL
- Plan, Launch & Run the new Tesla Energy operations - Fremont Factory, CA
- Run the Supercharger Operations - Fremont Factory, CA
- Ran the OEM Operations to build & supply electric powertrain components to Toyota Rav4 EV - Fremont Factory, CA
- Plan, Launch & Run the OEM Operations for Daimler B Class EV - Fremont Factory, CA

Management | Tesla Motors
It would be nice if they listed more "management" or updated the page.

Thx. I noticed same on Tesla's Mgmt page. Just 3 people. Not just him. Franz isn't their either.

Looks like Gilbert has been moved off years ago to side projects. It's impossible to know if he underperformed or Elon was just being unreasonable.

so my question is actually the opposite of what you suspected (not that the 200k seems too high, but that it is too low) - my point is you can't make 100k cars in three months on a line that is set up for 200k per year. I don't see how they can phase in the production with multiple lines and still manage to make 100k cars in 2017. as for precedent, i have to believe there are plenty of auto manufacturing lines capable of producing more than a couple hundred thousand per year. maybe McRat can enlighten us :)

let me know if i'm missing something.

surfside

Thx. It's just my opinion. Multiple lines phased over time rather than one 500k assembly line. I guess we will find out. I've been to Fremont many times... Educated guess...

Also important to understand that tesla won't be scaling tooling for 500k anytime soon. Only need to invest in half scale (phase 1) for now. Similar to GF multi year buildout

Reactions: larmor
a few times on earnings calls, it's been obvious that he's heard various bear smears of the preceding weeks, was not amused by them, and with quite a bit of energy, tears them to shreds. no guarantees, but we do have the annual meeting coming up in two and a half weeks.

You bring up an important point about the annual meeting being only a few weeks away. On one hand, annual meetings for TSLA can be lovefests of sorts, where the shareholdings in attendance are smitten to see the Tesla officers and board members in person and don't play hardball. I attended last year's annual meeting and the most dramatic event was the questioning by a few attendees of why Tesla does not offer a high-end, animal-friendly alternative to leather seats. One should not expect much to come out of a Tesla annual meeting.

That said, this year could be different. Tesla has a potential incentive (equity funding) to see the share prices run higher, and you could in fact hear information that could affect the market. For example, if someone (hint, hint) were to ask how the Q2 production and deliveries looks for being on track for meeting guidance, we might receive a positive response that the market could pick up upon. It all depends upon who gets to the microphones first: the people with rather inconsequential questions as far as the market is concerned, or the people who ask questions that investors really want to hear the answer to. With Model X production moving briskly forward these days, and with the market not well aware of this recent progress, the stage is set for positive comments of consequence.

Last edited:
20160201_200949.jpg
And breathe...

The OCD in me...

I know. What's up with that SPACING??? Definitely not zen. Or feng shui.

It is part of the program` grasshoppers. When you see no difference in spacing you are zen and have reached nirvana.

(OR you just have to get up and straighten those 'f..in' painting or it will drive you crazy!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.