Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From prior conference calls, it was mentioned that M3 development was in parallel to MX. That should assuage fears of wasting time. And clearly to ramp up to 500k annual volume, will require planning several years in advance.

Well, I don't think I said anything about wasting time. Development so far has probably not been focused on production and quality control of parts, but specifications, design and engineering.

Hi,

It just dawned on me that I believe that this is probably enough by itself to boost the SP after the ERCC. I believe it's a safe assumption that the automated production line is setup to produce at least as many packs as their existing car packs production line. The fact that it was rolling in mid December means two months of production, and I believe they don't need to be concerned with deliveries vs sales, as they do with cars. The only thing that I think could mess this up is cell availability. No idea how much or how long but I believe its almost a slam dunk. Warning, no such thing as a slam dunk. Please don't trade with money you can't afford to lose...

I definitely plan to buy some calls tomorrow. Question: I've never purchased calls for an ER. Tentatively planning on Feb 19. If anyone recommends Feb 12, or Feb 26 instead I'd like to hear your reasons.

Good Luck everyone!

TSLA stated in the last ER, that TE production had been pushed from Q4 2015 to Q1 2016 because they moved production from hand production in Fremont to an automated production line at the GF. Check the date below :biggrin::

Tesla battery system fires up in Irvine Co. office tower - The Orange County Register

Tesla battery system fires up in Irvine Co. office tower
Dec. 17, 2015

Doug Holte, president of Irvine Company Office Properties speaks to a small gathering before a crane was used to install 16 Tesla PowerPack battery systems that weigh 4,000 pounds each at an Irvine office tower Thursday. Irvine Company and Advanced Microgrid Solutions (AMS) teamed with SCE to install the batteries completing the first in what will be a fleet of Irvine Company Hybrid-Electric Buildings that will be used for grid support by Southern California Edison.

A 100-foot crane slowly maneuvered a white, 3,475-pound box around a palm tree and parking lot lamppost before gingerly setting the heavy case alongside four others behind a 15-story office tower in Irvine.

The Irvine Company, Southern California Edison and San Francisco-based Advanced Microgrid Solutions, an energy-storage systems provider, on Thursday launched a pilot project that company executives said will permanently change Southern California’s energy grid.

The real estate giant recently struck an agreement with the storage system provider to install Tesla Powerpack battery systems at more than 20 of the company’s Irvine office buildings, starting with the tower at 20 Pacifica.

Once complete, the “hybrid-electric” buildings will pull power from the grid when it is least expensive and, as demand peaks, draw from the energy stored in the batteries. The system will cut use of peak power by 25 percent, according to Rich Bluth, Irvine Co.’s vice president of energy management.

Eventually Irvine Co. plans to have batteries installed at its buildings portfolio-wide. The company has more than 500 office buildings in California.

AMS Chief Executive Officer Susan Kennedy credited tech darling Telsa, known primarily as a car company, for developing technology to create a “cleaner, more efficient, smarter, more sophisticated world.”

Tesla’s PowerPack batteries use the same technology the company uses for its electric cars.

Kennedy also gave kudos to the Irvine Co. for being a first adopter of the storage systems, which together are expected to store up to 10 megawatts of energy – enough to power 10,000 homes.

Southern California Edison signed on to the project after the San Onofre nuclear power plant closed.

“You usually don’t think of the words innovative, revolutionary and creative when you’re talking about an electric utility,” Kennedy said.

But its decision has spurred other utility companies to also consider out-of-the-box thinking, she said.

At times of peak energy demand, Edison will access the buildings’ 10-megawatt capacity to alleviate some of the pressure on the grid, company executives said. The system works by pushing stored power into the buildings where the batteries are installed.

“They’re going to use this whole fleet of batteries as a virtual power plant,” Bluth said.

From prior conference calls, it was mentioned that M3 development was in parallel to MX. That should assuage fears of wasting time. And clearly to ramp up to 500k annual volume, will require planning several years in advance.

Yes, it must have been done at least partly parallel to the MX. I feel they might be close to the Beta prototype already, the Q3-ER stated:

As of September 30, 2015, the following three performance milestones were considered probable of achievement:
-
Successful completion of the Model 3 Alpha Prototype
- Aggregate vehicle production of 100,000 vehicles; and
- Successful completion of the Model 3 Beta Prototype

http://ir.teslamotors.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1564590-15-9741&CIK=1318605

The 100.000 aggregate production was reached in December 2015.

I was posting in response to the conversation regarding the currently existing transmission and distribution network owned by utilities. I agree that for developing areas of the world without currently existing transmission and distribution network there is realistic path forward to electrification based on solar and perhaps microgrids.

However, existing transmission and distribution networks in industrially developed nations will remain essential, because for various reasons distributed solar will be providing minority (less than one third per Elon Musk - listen starting from about 19:10) of total solar generation, while the remaining more than two thirds of solar generation will need to be "utility form" centralized, grid connected generation.

My point is that assumption that growth in solar generation will render grid unnecessary or non-essential is not realistic because it ignores that, as pointed out by Elon and JB, both total energy generated by utilities and independent power producers (IPP) will grow, and distributed solar will be ultimately limited to about one third of all solar installations.

I understand. You need to move your view from a qualitative one (yes, there will be a grid) to a quantitative one (the required capacity of a grid will grow or fall X percent). Consider a grid where 1/3 is generated where it is consumed and 2/3 storage is behind-the-meter. Let's also hold constant total annual consumption of power, which can easily be adjusted with some baseline growth rate. So relative to the grid requirements where there were essentially no DERs, how much transmission capacity is now needed? Right off the bat on a total volume basis the legacy grid now had 1/3 less energy to move each year. So the required capacity is about 1/3 less. But in actually the required capacity is driven much more by peak loads experienced through the year than average load. So both distributed solar and massive behind-the-meter storage levels out most of the gap from peak load to average load. So the peak load requirements easily fall in half. So I figure that the required capacity of the grid is 1/3 to 1/2 below the legacy required capacity. So, yes, there is a grid, but if it is not ruthlessly scaled back as solar and batteries come online, it could be sitting on 50% to 100% overcapacity. That would be a costly burden upon ratepayer to have to keep paying for so much overcapacity.

Bought some puts today at the open, already green, happy:)
I have the impression that we need a really big catalyst to reverse the current down trend, I think not gonna happen before ER.
Happy investing everybody!

And I've bought more shares. To me this is a screaming buy opportunity. TSLA went downwards on overall China panicking and fossil fuel market poker games affecting macro.

Slow X ramp is a non-issue. We've had that before with the S. I know, Elon said with the X they're going to be faster with the ramp. Obviously the X is tricky to build and even harder to finish. So, I reckon that might affect the 2020 production target of 500,000 cars by a year or so - who cares? GF is on track and apparently ahead if schefule. Powerwalls and Powerpacks are essentially sold out this year (from what we heard in the last CCs). Model 3 reservations will bring in cash from the deposits (and I expect about 100,000 reservations to be made by the end of the year - easily, because market size vis-a-vis X/S is about factor 5) and it will pull in more money from big pocketed investors.

And I'm betting on a cash flow surprise wrt Q4 earnings as well. But, sure, I'm a Tesla bull (probably fan boy, too...)

Show me the model X can be produced in volume, and the rest is irrelevant .

thats my working hypothesis .

Uncertainty means risk, risk means price concession.

Rationalizations can lead to self deception, just be aware.

2020 production is not the issue , it's model X , in my view.
I too can be very wrong.

Last edited:
Show me the model X can be produced in volume, and the rest is irrelevant .

Uncertainty means risk, risk means price concession.

Rationalizations can can lead to self deception, just be aware.

2020 production is not the issue , it's model X , in my view,
because I too can be very wrong.

Think about this:
BMW produced 16k and then 24k of the i3 in the 2nd and 3rd year of the cars production. Whatever issues Tesla has with the Model X, they are likely to make >20k this year and >24k next year at the minimum. Most probably > 40k next year. That would make the Model X the fastest ramped alternative fuel vehicle in history. The current title holder is the Model S.

And I've bought more shares. To me this is a screaming buy opportunity. TSLA went downwards on overall China panicking and fossil fuel market poker games affecting macro.

Slow X ramp is a non-issue. We've had that before with the S. I know, Elon said with the X they're going to be faster with the ramp. Obviously the X is tricky to build and even harder to finish. So, I reckon that might affect the 2020 production target of 500,000 cars by a year or so - who cares? GF is on track and apparently ahead if schefule. Powerwalls and Powerpacks are essentially sold out this year (from what we heard in the last CCs). Model 3 reservations will bring in cash from the deposits (and I expect about 100,000 reservations to be made by the end of the year - easily, because market size vis-a-vis X/S is about factor 5) and it will pull in more money from big pocketed investors.

And I'm betting on a cash flow surprise wrt Q4 earnings as well. But, sure, I'm a Tesla bull (probably fan boy, too...)

I think long term your shares might be ok. What makes you think that we will not see more downside at least till next ER?

According to slow X ramp, I don't think it is important what I think. It looks like the market is not happy with delivering an X to the son of Will Smith and only a des others, hell that would have been a nice sale for one of the early roadsters some years ago. But this is 2016 and gen 2 platform, Jaden Smith getting an X is not a very strong sign to the market that TM is on track with their Secret Masterplan. They need to show the market they are on track with the Secret Masterplan to show TSLA is still a growth stock. If they don't, no problem for TM but I would expect TSLA to decline further.

Strong positive catalyst would not be enormous number of gen 3 deposits, that is a statement from potential customers. What we need for TSLA is something like a driveable ready gen 3 beta prototype to assure investors that TSLA is worth what it currently is, otherwise I could imagine some more investors selling some more shares.

BTW, still long term bull, short term I do not see a catalyst big enough for $250 next month.

- - - Updated - - -

Think about this:
BMW produced 16k and then 24k of the i3 in the 2nd and 3rd year of the cars production. Whatever issues Tesla has with the Model X, they are likely to make >20k this year and >24k next year at the minimum. Most probably > 40k next year. That would make the Model X the fastest ramped alternative fuel vehicle in history. The current title holder is the Model S.

"... Are likely to ...", you are talking about the future, damn I wish it was a fact!!!

I think long term your shares might be ok. What makes you think that we will not see more downside at least till next ER?

Well, first I'm a long-term investor and I'm happy to continue to pile up shares at the bottoms. I'm with maoing that TSLA is oversold and I'd even go further to say we've hit the bottom for 2016 because TSLA mainly dropped (together with the whole market) on macro issues (China, crude oil, "decarbonisation" of investment funds, etc). The slow MX ramp is to me as an investor of TM a sign that they really do care about delivering the best product they can while ramping up at historically high rates as has been mentioned here today, too.

I think Wall Street might try to hold the stock price at the current level until ER because some of the big players bought in or piled up above 200 USD and thus even strikingly bad news from ER wouldn't hit it to dramatic lows below 150 dollars. And I'm hopeful this ER and CC will turn TSLA around.

Do you think they will make <22k Model X this year?
Let me throw this in here to that discussion:
Assuming they reach full production volumes of X by the end of Q1 (and Elon said last week in France they are on track - we`ll know more after the ER of course), there will be 191 workdays of the year left. 1 week summer shutdown as usual still leaves 186 workdays, or a little over 37 weeks. At the low end of 800 Xes per week x 37 weeks, that`s 30k Model X plus whatever they produced in Q1. Therefore, leaving some contingency for end of the year production only delivered in January 2017, it is not unreasonable to expect 30k X deliveries this year. Only 22k Model X would mean full production volume slipping into late q2 or early q3 - I don`t see why we need to be that pessimistic.

Can you believe this bs?

UBS analysts Colin Langan and Eddie Hsieh see three risks for Tesla Motors ( TSLA) heading into earnings:

#1 Rising SG&A and R&D costs pose risk to 2016 EPS

The focus in Q4 will be on Tesla's '16 outlook. One key risk is SG&A & R&D. Historically these costs have been volatile, ramping up significantly in '14. These costs will likely continue to accelerate ahead of the high volume Model 3 launch.

#2 Expect downside to +75% y/y deliveries in 2016

Based on prior guidance of 1.6-1.8k vehicles/week in '16, Tesla projects total shipments to increase from 50.6k in 2015 to 88.4k (mid-point) in 2016, +75% y/y. We expect 2016 deliveries at the low-end guidance as Model X production ramp appears to be progressing slower than expected (prelim Q4 results indicated 238/week in the last week of 2015 vs. management's prior guide of several hundred/week by end of 2015). We are cutting our target shipments for 2016 to 84k. Given the little known details of the Model 3 so far, we see the March reveal of the car as a potential catalyst. However, given Tesla's history of delayed launches, we expect delays to the current late-2017 launch timing. Additionally, the mass-market EV segment is becoming increasingly crowded with the introduction of the Chevy Bolt this year. Together with low gas prices, we believe there is significant downside to Tesla's target 500k shipments by '20.

#3 Stationary storage headwinds persist

In Q2, Tesla guided to storage sales of $40-50m in Q4, $400-500m in '16, and $2-5bn in '17. 2016 production is reportedly "sold out," suggesting that Tesla will likely hit the Q4 & 2016 targets. This is consistent with our belief that early, "green" consumers are driving up initial orders. However, we still struggle to see storage demand continuing to grow at this pace given low energy prices, slow initial adoption from utilities given costs, & lack of demand outside of green consumers. We also remain cautious about storage margins given competition.

Tesla is scheduled to report earnings on Feb. 10.

Shares of Tesla Motors have dropped 2.2% to $171.49 at 5:25 p.m. today in after-hours trading today. It gained 1.1% during market hours today.

Status
Not open for further replies.