Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on a share price recovery by end of year?

These relentless shorts seem to have us anchored down. Strong guidance and no need for a capital raise didn't do much. Without an unexpected positive surprise, I wonder if we can really get more than a few shorts to cover. Just trying to think of catalysts:

• We're at the mercy of the markets-- if they rebound, that could kick things off
  • Model X ramp up-- ~2-3 months from 700-1,000 X's/week
  • Model X reviews from major car publications
  • Model 3 unveiling & reservations next month
  • Potential for Elon to disclose reservation numbers if they're good
  • A surprise announcement?

Thoughts on a share price recovery by end of year?

These relentless shorts seem to have us anchored down. Strong guidance and no need for a capital raise didn't do much. Without an unexpected positive surprise, I wonder if we can really get more than a few shorts to cover. Just trying to think of catalysts:

• We're at the mercy of the markets-- if they rebound, that could kick things off
  • Model X ramp up-- ~2-3 months from 700-1,000 X's/week
  • Model X reviews from major car publications
  • Model 3 unveiling & reservations next month
  • Potential for Elon to disclose reservation numbers if they're good
  • A surprise announcement?

The year 2016 will be the year when the shorts' thesis is destroyed (something Julian would say).
* Model X receiving rave reviews, a flurry of new reservations, in Tesla stores, and ramped up to 700/week or higher
* GIgafactory producing TE products by April and ramping up
* Cash flow positive
* non-GAAP profitable for year
* meeting guidance of 80,000 through 90,000 cars
* 100,000+ Model 3 reservations and Model 3 still on schedule for late 2017

As soon as the shorts see these events all shaping up to happen in 2016 they will start heading for the exits, if not before then

So, how should a true Tesla afficiano spend his or her Valentine's Day? Why, drag racing the spouse with one driving a performance Model X and the other a performance Model S, of course:
Tesla Model X Drag Races Model S P90D Ludicrous in 1/4 Mile

The year 2016 will be the year when the short's thesis is destroyed (something Julian would say).
* Model X receiving rave reviews, a flurry of new reservations, in Tesla stores, and ramped up to 700/week or higher
* GIgafactory producing TE products by April and ramping up
* Cash flow positive
* non-GAAP profitable for year
* meeting guidance of 80,000 through 90,000 cars
* 100,000+ Model 3 reservations and Model 3 still on schedule for late 2017

As soon as the shorts see these events all shaping up to happen in 2016 they will start heading for the exits, if not before then

we dont need the shorts to cover. Id rather have new longs and institutional owner buying. The shorts are very welcome to "hang in there" as loong as they want to.;-)

May I ask you where you have that number from?

Personally I would think about weekly production rate doubling from end of last December run rate in the time of a month as significant.

I would love to hear an official number from Tesla blog/IR/twitter.

BTW what is a significant ramp for you, given end of year 2015 weekly production rate?

You are most likely not going to get a number. They mentioned on the last call they would not like to discuss internal operations but stick to guidance. So the best we can do is to follow the reports of delivered Model X.

* We're approaching 4 years from when many early Model S cars were delivered. Both in terms of lease agreements and in terms of consumer behavior, many car owners choose to upgrade to a newer model after 4 years.

While this is true for most cars, I have a feeling more than usual Model S owners are either on a faster upgrade cycle (to take advantage of dual drive/90kWh/Autopilot) or on a significant slower upgrade cycle (to take advantage of the exceptional warranty on the car). My gut feeling is Model S growth is going to come from maturing existing markets where Tesla -up until now- only had a base penetration rather than from markets where Tesla has historically been strong. The traditionally strong markets (California, Norway, Switzerland, the Netherlands) will probably have most of their growth in the model X segment rather than the S.

Can Tesla release Model 3 in 2017 if there arent even any early mules driving around? This would equivalent of virgin birth, unless we see first mules by Summer there is 0 chance, and even then its slim.

I mean they could hand over few dozen Betas to selected customers on Eve of 2017-2018, with real launch in Mid 2018, but 0 impact on profits till then

All those following TSLA's fortunes in the non-US markets are more than encouraged to translate stock prices into US$, especially during US holidays. The reason is that it shows whether those prices are playing catch-up from prior US closing #s, whether there is a €/$ effect, or so on. Volumes and how those vary from a norm also can be helpful.

Certainly +8.5% in Frankfurt sounds terrific!

Impressions from 4Q ER and CC

Jason Wheeler's moving away from term "Free Cash Flow" and moving towards "Cash Flow from Core Operations" and "Net Cash Flow".
Translation: Wheeler doesn't like using "Free Cash Flow" as a measure of success because it constrains CapEx. By using Net Cash Flow, and predicting it will be positive, Tesla execs wish to confirm that the bank account will be growing, but they don't want to rule out an equity raise if additional facilities are needed to meet incredible Model 3 demand. Net Cash Flow Positive will yield more money in the bank, which should calm investors. Why should a decision to grow through an equity raise at some point for expansion of manufacturing capabilities be considered detrimental, as long as the money in the bank keeps growing?
As for the term "Cash Flow from Core Operations", this is an important indicator of success for Tesla that has been overlooked previously. The main advantage of introducing it for 4th quarter is that by this metric, Tesla has turned an important corner (see chart)
View attachment 111337
The previous Free Cash Flow chart showed Tesla falling deeper and deeper into the red with each passing quarter, largely because of increased CapEx. The Cash Flow from Operations shows Tesla improving quarter-over-quarter and going positive in 4th quarter, which is just the kind of graph you wish to show investors in 4th quarter.
Non-GAAP profitability in 2016 and GAP profitability in Q4 of 2016 are predicted.

Model X issues preventing further ramp-up, address by Elon Musk: "Yeah, we really don't see any fundamental issues."
Translation: We really don't see any fundamental issues.
Elon and JB spoke of the windshield sourcing, the door and door seal issues, and we learned about the now corrected supply issue with the chrome finish around the front windshield's brightwork. Elon indicated no show stoppers at this point. We learned of a production pause in January for quality reasons, and Elon indicated the ability for peak production of 1,000 Model X vehicles/week by mid to late 2nd quarter but with an average production of more like 700 to 800 Model Xs.

Re: Andrea James question about timetables for migrating Model S to Body in White Line 2 and Elon's decision to not provide details
Translation: The original plan was to sometime in 2016 move Model S to share body in white line 2 with Model X and thereby free up space for the future Model 3 production line. I suspect Elon doesn't want to abandon using BIW Line 1 for Model S production until BIW Line 2 demonstrates that it can produce a high enough mixed batching of Models S and X to satisfy the 80,000-90,000 vehicle delivery goal of 2016. If the abandonment of BIW Line 1 happens later in the year than forecasted, then analysts become concerned about how this delay will affect Model 3 production preparations. Tesla has nothing to gain by making a prediction here and then not meeting it. Best to avoid speculation.

Overall impressions: If Tesla can live up to delivery guidance and make a non-GAAP profit in 2016, plus prove to be Net Cash Flow Positive in 2016, then investors will be reassured and we will see TSLA appreciate substantially. The real question is how quickly Model X can be ramped up. The trajectory of TSLA stock in 2016 depends upon a successful Model X ramp. The demand for Model X in 2016 is already there and for Model S should be there, so, once again, production, not demand, is key to the year's results.

The one exception regarding demand is Model 3. Since there will be no 2016 production of Model 3, that car is all about demand. If deposits can grow to over 100,000 in a short time (and this should be quite possible given the order backlog for Model X at a substantially higher price point, then Tesla might be inclined to do an equity raise later in the year for the purpose of building a Chinese or European factory. For this reason, it is important to move away from the Free Cash Flow metric of performance of move toward Net Cash Flow and Cash Flow from Operations to judge cash performance by. Tesla's setting the deposit amount at $1,000 is clearly an effort to maximize the number of deposits and show the world the level of demand for Model 3. As long as Model 3 is reasonably attractive to look at, I think they'll exceed this number. High deposit numbers for Model 3 will boost TSLA price and simultaneously give TSLA reason to look at an equity raise, even though it says that this is not needed (and it isn't needed, but it could be a good thing if Model 3 is being reserved in amazing numbers).

Papafox, thanks for your analysis. I don't think any serious Tesla investor wants to clip growth by arbitrarily limiting it to free cash flow. I think the thing for investors to do is to look carefully at balance sheets to see what they want to see grow and what they want to see shrink. That is some negative cashflow may not be good for the business while others are enormously helpful. Capex spent on the right things is great for shareholders. Monitoring net cash flow and net working capital are important to safeguard against liquidity risks.

I do think that core operational cash flow is a helpful construct. Cash flow coming from third party lease financiers is technically a financing cash flow, not operational, but it is a cash inflow that properly offsets the operating outflow of actually building cars. So as Tesla engages in its core operation of building and marketing cars both operating cash flows and customer leasing cash flows come together and now make a positive contribution to net cashflow.

There is no need to get fixated on any particular metric. They each tell us something about how Tesla is doing. In reality we need to look at things from many different angles. So we need more useful metrics. Anyone can cherry pick and tell an exaggerated story. But investors need to take it all in and form a balanced view.

- - - Updated - - -

I've come to conclusion that we, here, are leading indicator of TSLA SP.
We were freaking out and fretting over X deliveries before market REALLY freaked out on TSLA.
Since CC, most of us are lot more comfortable as we understand that things are under control, and we just need to wait for market to catch up with us.
I really hope I'm right :)

Investors need to learn how not to freak out or indulge in excessive fretting. Nothing good comes from it, and it is easily exploited by traders.

All those following TSLA's fortunes in the non-US markets are more than encouraged to translate stock prices into US$, especially during US holidays. The reason is that it shows whether those prices are playing catch-up from prior US closing #s, whether there is a €/$ effect, or so on. Volumes and how those vary from a norm also can be helpful.

I was going to point this out earlier: TL0 is at 157.45USD, or a 4% rise from Friday's US close, so approximately half of it's 7.5% rise is due to playing catch up form Friday.
Also worth noting is that most auto stocks in Germany are up between 3% and 8%.

7.6% up in FFT now €141.38, however that is $157.47 or %4.26 against USD close Friday. Still very good.

There are three trading platforms in Frankfurt

1. Xetra ends at 11:45 a.m. EST todays volume 6700 shares closed on friday 133.8 Euros TESLA MOTORS INC. DL-,001 aktuell | A1CX3T | US88160R1014 | boerse.ARD.de

2. Frankfurt ends at 02:00 p.m. EST todays volume 4000 shares closed on friday 131.5 Euros TESLA MOTORS INC. DL-,001 aktuell | A1CX3T | US88160R1014 | boerse.ARD.de

3. Tradegate exchange ends at 04:00 p.m. EST todays volume 13700 shares closed on friday 134.2 Euros TESLA MOTORS INC. DL-,001 aktuell | A1CX3T | US88160R1014 | boerse.ARD.de

Do yourself a favour and forget about any U.S website showing SP from germany.

One thing i can state is that sharp or steady decreases in SP at NASDAQ are copied 1:1 (decrease by 12 bucks translate to 12 Euros) , whereas 12 bucks at the close in NY can translate to 11 - 12 Euros in germany.

For example on feb 11th TSLA WKN A1CX3T started at 141 Euros and declined by 10 Euros over this day

Last edited:
I think Model X production is really starting to accelerate. Musk tweeted a video of the "X getting it's wings" where robots assemble the falcon door onto the frame, no human hands around. To me, it seems as though it's a bit of gloating and a subtle wink to the markets that Model X is ramping up.

Elon Musk (@elonmusk) | Twitter

Fabulous, ludicrously fantastic , we needed that.
Marvel of engineering assembly

dont try this at home

With low volume, it's more like amature trading in US. I'll be thrilled to find out that TSLA not underperform QQQ or Nasdaq tomorrow which I estimate 2-3% jump.

There are three trading platforms in Frankfurt

1. Xetra ends at 11:45 a.m. EST todays volume 6700 shares closed on friday 133.8 Euros TESLA MOTORS INC. DL-,001 aktuell | A1CX3T | US88160R1014 | boerse.ARD.de

2. Frankfurt ends at 02:00 p.m. EST todays volume 4000 shares closed on friday 131.5 Euros TESLA MOTORS INC. DL-,001 aktuell | A1CX3T | US88160R1014 | boerse.ARD.de

3. Tradegate exchange ends at 04:00 p.m. EST todays volume 13700 shares closed on friday 134.2 Euros TESLA MOTORS INC. DL-,001 aktuell | A1CX3T | US88160R1014 | boerse.ARD.de

Do yourself a favour and forget about any U.S website showing SP from germany.

One thing i can state is that sharp or steady decreases in SP at NASDAQ are copied 1:1 (decrease by 12 bucks translate to 10 Euros) , whereas 12 bucks at the close in NY can translate to 11 Euros in germany.

For example on feb 11th TSLA WKN A1CX3T started at 141 Euros and declined by 10 Euros over this day

Papafox, thanks for your analysis. I don't think any serious Tesla investor wants to clip growth by arbitrarily limiting it to free cash flow. I think the thing for investors to do is to look carefully at balance sheets to see what they want to see grow and what they want to see shrink. That is some negative cashflow may not be good for the business while others are enormously helpful. Capex spent on the right things is great for shareholders. Monitoring net cash flow and net working capital are important to safeguard against liquidity risks.

I do think that core operational cash flow is a helpful construct. Cash flow coming from third party lease financiers is technically a financing cash flow, not operational, but it is a cash inflow that properly offsets the operating outflow of actually building cars. So as Tesla engages in its core operation of building and marketing cars both operating cash flows and customer leasing cash flows come together and now make a positive contribution to net cashflow.

There is no need to get fixated on any particular metric. They each tell us something about how Tesla is doing. In reality we need to look at things from many different angles. So we need more useful metrics. Anyone can cherry pick and tell an exaggerated story. But investors need to take it all in and form a balanced view.

- - - Updated - - -

Investors need to learn how not to freak out or indulge in excessive fretting. Nothing good comes from it, and it is easily exploited by traders.

I believe FCF is important because robots look for those. Ask a robot to determine whether or not it's a good metric to measure growth and you are asking for trouble.

Why is robot so important? Cause the financial world is being replaced by robots. Robo advisors, robo mortgages etc etc

I believe FCF is important because robots look for those. Ask a robot to determine whether or not it's a good metric to measure growth and you are asking for trouble.

Why is robot so important? Cause the financial world is being replaced by robots. Robo advisors, robo mortgages etc etc

Didn't Musk already warn against AI?!

Actually, if robots take over most of trading, that could be a real advantage for human investors. Just figure out what the robots undervalue and buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.