Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_2387.JPG

Odd, my first post vanished. Anyway FWIW at my local SC a few days ago, there were several Model X's waiting for pickup. The reps said they had received approximately 12 so far.

The sales representative you spoke to is uninformed and inadequate to respond to your questions. Something I wouldn't base on to make judgement of Model 3 anticipation. It is too early to gauge at the moment, but a week from the reveal, I think there should be more information. But I wouldn't be surprised if on the day of reveal, Tesla stores are informed of how to take deposits, and thereafter the reveal, give people answers as much information as what was disclosed at the reveal event.

More information about the Model 3 will follow as it gets closer to production in 2017. There are a lot of posts on TSLA MC forums elsewhere or articles online hinting that we're not going to get much out of this reveal.

I want to ask here what people predict the price action will be after March 31 if Tesla ends up showing renderings and releasing specs of the Model 3 and not an actual prototype.

Reason I'm thinking about this is that I went by the Tesla store at Stanford Mall today to ask about the reservation process, and the answer I got was a little worrisome in my mind. The sales rep said the first reservations would be taken at opening time, which is 10am at this location. When I asked about whether there would be a live broadcast of the unveiling, the rep said he doesn't know yet. He said it could be that they just release the information about Model 3 and not show a prototype. He also said the online reservations could follow the next day, or, a week later, he doesn't know yet. And when I asked will there be people camping out in front of the store, he said "I hope not, we don't want to have Apple like situations". Hmm, what's going on with this guy... is he trying to lower expectations, or he is just not sure what to say. Anyone else received a similar message at a store when asking for details?

More information about the Model 3 will follow as it gets closer to production in 2017. There are a lot of posts on TSLA MC forums elsewhere or articles online hinting that we're not going to get much out of this reveal.

There was a tweet from Elon that said that more info about the reveal itself is going to be available. It didn't say more info on the car would be. So we might find out if they'll show it or just pictures sometime soon.

There was a tweet from Elon that said that more info about the reveal itself is going to be available. It didn't say more info on the car would be. So we might find out if they'll show it or just pictures sometime soon.

There IS NO WAY THAT THEY WILL NOT SHOW A PROTOTYPE OF AN ACTUAL CAR.

He said that they were deciding whether or not to "keep some cards close to the vest". In other words they are planning to reveal a lot.

He said that they were deciding whether or not to "keep some cards close to the vest". In other words they are planning to reveal a lot.

Thanks. This thing about showing only pictures is just silly. It's even written in the 10-k filings- they were working on an actual prototype.

Back to today's price action..seems the stock has a hard time holding up..last 15 minutes it dropped 2 dollars. Any thoughts? To me it seems a weak sign

Shhhhh... the more TSLA bears that think that Tesla is showing off just pictures on March 31st, the better. The subsequent reactions will be priceless.

Agree with JRP3 that the existing packs can accommodate the extra height.

They will need to reduce the number of cells by about the same percent as the increased capacity that's due to the increased diameter. In other words there will not be any significant increased pack capacity due to the increased cell diameter.

Just FYI. It may be counterintuitive - but reducing the cell count on account of increased diameter has quite a considerable effect on both cell and pack level energy density. The reason for this is primarily attributable to gains in the ratio of active chemistry to passive cell components (such as the can, vents and connectors) simply because the volume of a cylinder increases by pi squared the increase in diameter. For the same reason the increase in cell capacity goes up more than just new length div old length. These things are a multiplier of the effect of increasing energy density at the cell level.

The constraint under consideration here is the scale of each cell as a single point of failure. The more energy contained in a single cell, the harder it becomes to prevent a cascade pack failure commencing with failure of one cell. This is why large prismatic cells are not a great idea for vehicles and why there is enormous amounts of unused and essentially useless 'automotive cell' manufacturing capacity around the world - all large prismatic capacity. With very large cells it is typically necessary to damp down the energy potential of the chemistry as a way of achieving acceptable safety which is essentially a self defeating exercise when reactivity and energy density tend to be one and the same thing.

The 18650 form factor was chosen by Tesla not just because it ticked all the boxes from thermal management, point source safety and automated pack assembly but because of low cost due to vast under-utilized production capacity at Panasonic and elsewhere bought paid for and then abandoned by the consumer electronics industry when that industry had moved on to prismatic cells to deliver thin form factors chiefly in laptops and subsequently laptop replacements like the Apple iPad. However clearly Tesla's decision has been that the 18650 is an optimization too far in the direction of point source safety and that given a fresh sheet of paper with the Gigafactory Tesla seems to have gone for a 20700 cylindrical cell with dimensions 20mm x 70mm instead of the 18650 that is 18 mm x 65 mm.

Just FYI. It may be counterintuitive - but reducing the cell count on account of increased diameter has quite a considerable effect on both cell and pack level energy density. The reason for this is primarily attributable to gains in the ratio of active chemistry to passive cell components (such as the can, vents and connectors) simply because the volume of a cylinder increases by pi squared the increase in diameter. For the same reason the increase in cell capacity goes up more than just new length div old length. These things are a multiplier of the effect of increasing energy density at the cell level.

The constraint under consideration here is the scale of each cell as a single point of failure. The more energy contained in a single cell, the harder it becomes to prevent a cascade pack failure commencing with failure of one cell. This is why large prismatic cells are not a great idea for vehicles and why there is enormous amounts of unused and essentially useless 'automotive cell' manufacturing capacity around the world - all large prismatic capacity. With very large cells it is typically necessary to damp down the energy potential of the chemistry as a way of achieving acceptable safety which is essentially a self defeating exercise when reactivity and energy density tend to be one and the same thing.

The 18650 form factor was chosen by Tesla not just because it ticked all the boxes from thermal management, point source safety and automated pack assembly but because of low cost due to vast under-utilized production capacity at Panasonic and elsewhere bought paid for and then abandoned by the consumer electronics industry when that industry had moved on to prismatic cells to deliver thin form factors chiefly in laptops and subsequently laptop replacements like the Apple iPad. However clearly Tesla's decision has been that the 18650 is an optimization too far in the direction of point source safety and that given a fresh sheet of paper with the Gigafactory Tesla seems to have gone for a 20700 cylindrical cell with dimensions 20mm x 70mm instead of the 18650 that is 18 mm x 65 mm.
In the engineering world, it's not rare that one little change can lead to unexpected consequence down the road. I think that's one of the reasons why Tesla likes to do baby steps when they change things related to batteries, such as size and chemical composition, which in my view is very intelligent.

Last edited:
This is an important issue. The diameter only increases ~10% and the height about 8%, but the cell volume increases by 33%. they could reduce the cell count by 20% and still have 5% more power. With additional chemistry advances, they seem to be on track to increase energy density at least another 10-20% by Model 3 release. More power, greater range, smaller pack and lower costs. This can increase S&X margins 5-10% in 2017, and make the Model 3 profitable and cost competitive with Audi A4\6 and BMW 3\5 series.

It will be interesting to see what happens on March 31st and April 1st with the reveal and early reservations.

I think I should just click "confirm" on my MS order so Tesla can get on with announcing their next battery upgrade.

Unless you think there will be a performance boost or you actually need the extra 20 miles I would just go for it. At best the drop the price of the 90 by 3k and I would expect the 100 will come in at an extra 5-10k. So are you worried from a range or performance perspective? I would at most anticipated better overall 0-155 times but not in the 0-60 section. So I guess it depends on what you actually currently are planning to buy vs what you expect in a 100

From Zcar on the MX forums, Brentwood, TN:

attachment.php?attachmentid=114247&stc=1&d=1457456527.jpg

I think we're definitely seeing more evidence of production ramping up. Does anyone know if those would be production 90Ds, since they're being transported with spoiler up (presumed fixed spoiler)?

The constraint under consideration here is the scale of each cell as a single point of failure. The more energy contained in a single cell, the harder it becomes to prevent a cascade pack failure commencing with failure of one cell.

It's not just that it's also power density, batteries are not scalable without compromise. Smaller cells, with identical chemistries and material ratios, will have higher power density.

Internal heating typically limits cell c-rate (though many other things may as well) there are two sources of heating in the cell.

1. Joule heating
2. Heating due to changes in entropy

Heating due to changes in entropy scales in a more or less linear fashion with volume but joule heating, or I^2R heating, does not. The increase in joule heating with larger cells adversely affects 2 or 3 of the 3 (basic) rate limiting processes. I'm on a ghetto smartphone so I'll leave it there for now. Short story, many small cells will always beat fewer bigger cells if both power and energy density count.

Well, a bit off topic, but really priceless: BMW CEO Harald Kruger makes somewhat harried and less than gracious exit from Tesla Model X that he was checking out at the Geneva Auto Show after being questioned by the German journalist - all caught on tape:

Watch BMW [Video] | Electrek

Thank you for sharing this. Good laugh for the day.

"No comment" from the CEO, but the X left him with a parting jab!

Status
Not open for further replies.