Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Short term is another game and I don't have much to add there. For Apple iPhone had a big impact on the stock after the reveal, and we had examples of this happening with Tesla too for other products.

I agree, but those products have historically been released with financials, something Tesla has always been reluctant to do. The event will add support to S & X fulfillment #'s that will be released next week. AAPL has historically traded horizontal (even downward) until 5-7 days after a product release.

It is possible Model 3 won't do much for the stock but as a long term fundamental investor you don't know when the push upwards will happen and when the market will start "to get it".

Short term is another game and I don't have much to add there. For Apple iPhone had a big impact on the stock after the reveal, and we had examples of this happening with Tesla. too for other products.

Sorry, Lango, have to disagree here. April 01 is going to be seen very quickly as "end of denial day". The penny will drop in different minds at different times. But the ground will have shifted considerably by the end of April. Complete reset of the automotive landscape in 30 days! It will almost be on the scale of a geopolitical event.

Here is the sight at the King of Prussia Mall in Philadelphia suburbs...

EDIT: According to my relative's report, there is total about 70 peoples in the line.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: StephenM and dc_h
Sorry, Lango, have to disagree here. April 01 is going to be seen very quickly as "end of denial day". The penny will drop in different minds at different times. But the ground will have shifted considerably by the end of April. Complete reset of the automotive landscape in 30 days! It will almost be on the scale of a geopolitical event.

What do you disagree with? 100% probability of price rocket up because of Model 3 reveal? The skepticism towards Tesla is ingrained. You see it among the analysts too for example $150 price targets and 15k Model 3 reservations the last week. The more you know about Tesla the more positive you tend to be and given that analysts should be more positive than the market on average.

I think we will see the price go up to ATH but I also think there is a quite big chance it won't and stay where it is.
But if it doesn't go up now it will happen one year from now or even later.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Just FYI, apparently the new TMC Site is keeping track of "robots" that are perusing this Site (see snap shot below). Apparently, at the time of getting this snap shot 109 out of 806 visitors or 13.5% were robots... Any IT professionals willing to speculate what these "robots" might be?

View attachment 169453

Probably web crawlers that self identify as robots. Also robots that uses web browsers that are not used by human or the speed if page requests. These are the metrics I'd use to ID robots. Only the admins know the actual data used for Identification though.

Wow. Shaping up to be a great day and can't wait for some more info about reservation action in the US when stores start opening up there.

I'd argue that online reservations will be an order of magnitue more than in-person reservations. Me myself for example have to work, can't take a day off just to go stand in line, but no doubt I'll reserve at least one M3. There has to be plenty of people like me, both in the EU, Asia and the US.

As far as share price is concerned, I think the big catalyst/movement will be in conjunction with the Q1 earnings a month and a half from now. That would be the perfect time for Tesla management to line up several positive announcements and by then they will have had 6 weeks of reservations trickling in.

In addition, Tesla will soon be in the silent period before the ER, so they might have to wait until then to release the reservation numbers for M3. Couple this toghether with possibly FCF, announcment of "demand is beyond our expectations, we're launching another factory" type statement, with subsequent raise of capital and other positive news. This would be the time to pull the rug from under the shorts with a shock and awe Tesla combo.

Also, Tesla needs this 6 week period to assess and evaluate how the world responds to the M3 and position themselves accordingly. So in short, I'm sitting tight with all my positions until mid May.

The "show us your tents" thread: Show Us Your Tents!! seems to indicate healthy interest in Model 3. My general impression is that 20-30 people per store at opening might be reasonable. How many will show up later in the day, or tomorrow (after the reveal) I don't know. Online reservations are another thing I don't think we can directly observe.

Monetarily I think your premise makes sense. However, I think the risk is far greater than you state. Once the person goes home they can easily come back to the store for a deposit, leaving the scalper SOL.

I hadn't thought of that, lol. The scalper would have to keep tabs on their straw buyers for quite awhile (18+ months), rather than lurk outside the Apple Store on a single day to snag the goods for shipment back to China. 18 months is a long time... easy to lose track of people, who could request "their" deposit back and then run away!

Wow. Shaping up to be a great day and can't wait for some more info about reservation action in the US when stores start opening up there.

I'd argue that online reservations will be an order of magnitue more than in-person reservations. Me myself for example have to work, can't take a day off just to go stand in line, but no doubt I'll reserve at least one M3. There has to be plenty of people like me, both in the EU, Asia and the US.

Well, Sir, you are quite a hypocrite - just take another look at your avatar and DO take day off to head to the closest Tesla store.
:D

As far as share price is concerned, I think the big catalyst/movement will be in conjunction with the Q1 earnings a month and a half from now. That would be the perfect time for Tesla management to line up several positive announcements and by then they will have had 6 weeks of reservations trickling in.

In addition, Tesla will soon be in the silent period before the ER, so they might have to wait until then to release the reservation numbers for M3. Couple this toghether with possibly FCF, announcment of "demand is beyond our expectations, we're launching another factory" type statement, with subsequent raise of capital and other positive news. This would be the time to pull the rug from under the shorts with a shock and awe Tesla combo.

Also, Tesla needs this 6 week period to assess and evaluate how the world responds to the M3 and position themselves accordingly. So in short, I'm sitting tight with all my positions until mid May.
The Q1 delivery numbers should be out by Monday the latest. Beside the M3 reveal and the lines/reservation numbers this should be the next catalyst even before Q1 earnings. If reservations are strong I expect an Elon tweet on that within the next week or so.

The Q1 delivery numbers should be out by Monday the latest. Beside the M3 reveal and the lines/reservation numbers this should be the next catalyst even before Q1 earnings. If reservations are strong I expect an Elon tweet on that within the next week or so.

Yes, you're right, Q1 delivery numbers will be out in a couple of days. But as far as M3 reservation numbers, it's an assumption that we'll receive any reservation numbers or a tweet stating reservation numbers before Q1. I wouldn't bank on it but sit safely until the time when we can at least assume with certainty that they'll tell the world more, and that would be on the Q1 ER. Reason I'm saying this is for the people who are sitting on very short term options (early to mid April) to consider broadening their time frame a little to capture the Q1 ER. Just a thought....

I wouldn't be surprised if Elon announces how many people have already reserved in person + employees tonight if it reaches >50k (which it very well might: if there are already 10k from employees, thats just on average ~150 per store and we are seeing reports of more than that in many store before reservations actualy start.)

Status
Not open for further replies.