Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While it is true that the GM Blot is called something different outside the US (and yes I'm going to leave that iPhone typo because its better). Search interest in this case is almost certainly dominated by Tesla enthusiasts looking it up for giggles.

While GM is feeling a bit sheepish, it could be much worse. Seems that nobody can even be bothered to laugh at the Toyota Mirai.

"Hydrogen and fuel cell vehicles is so stupid you can't even have a sensible conversation about it, in a couple of years that will become obvious". Or words to exactly that effect - Elon Musk about a couple of years ago.

Blot is more apt indeed.

The Bolt will be rebadged under Opel, by adding the "E" on the Volt equivalent, hence the Ampera E. Same result, dead on departure.

Ha ha ha, GM Blot, that's a good one. A Blot on the automotive landscape.

Truthfully the Bolt is probably fine as a economy car, it just needs a $15-$20,000 haircut not to be priced out of its segment. Sadly that is not something that can be sold by an ICE maker or by a traditional auto dealer trying to shift ICE cars on slim margins with the aim of trapping consumers in punitive finance and engine servicing obligations for life.

So is a call option the same as a "put"?
No, the opposite. A call is a promise to sell shares, a put is a promise to buy shares. Either way, someone "writes" a contract, which they then can sell and get money for (even if the contract is a put, a promise to buy, they are still selling the contract). The buyer of the contract gets to choose when to exercise it, up until it expires.

Reactions: Tslynk67
Thanks - I do get the Investopedia emails, but never get around to reading, plus you have to put all these terms into the bigger picture.

So is a call option the same as a "put"?

I could make a call option for my shares today at $270 for mid-August and almost certainly be taken up on it. But in reality I expect the stock to be much higher, so that would be a stupid thing to do.

I'm trying to persuade the wife to go long. I think when the M3 actually gets released it's going to sky-rocket. I think if I sit on them 20 years I'll be richer than I could ever have imagined.

Sorry as this is now off topic but suggest for you to go to newbie options trading here: Newbie Options Trading

Please make sure to familiarize yourself on options as it could be fool's gold. I think 95% of those who dabble have been stung. Hard. So only play with what you can stomach.

Sorry as this is now off topic but suggest for you to go to newbie options trading here: Newbie Options Trading

Please make sure to familiarize yourself on options as it could be fool's gold. I think 95% of those who dabble have been stung. Hard. So only play with what you can stomach.

+1

I have been stung hard a couple of times.. this is first time I am in the green. :-D

I entered at $150 and $180 this time.. still holding on, but dont think I would have the guts to enter With fresh Money now after this long up-trend. At least not more than With "play Money".

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
CT: holding leaps still?

Yeah. Been unwinding slowly. I'm very nearly down to my core position now (which is about half the number of LEAPs I held when we were trading around $140).

Having a very good year, up 100-200% on just about everything TSLA. Would have made an absolute killing if I hadn't been unwinding it slowly over the past two months, but got to stick to my disciplines if I want to have cash to take advantage the next time the world is about to come to an end.

Did Elon say deposit number would be revealed on Wednesday or Thursday? Thursday night might be ideal if he wants to trap some shorts going into OPEX. ;)

Call and put interest is crazy high meaning implied volatility is very high. I suppsose if we treat $140 as one deviation from the 52 week high, $420 could be possible. That would definitely get some interesting headlines and tweets.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Did Elon say deposit number would be revealed on Wednesday or Thursday? Thursday night might be ideal if he wants to trap some shorts going into OPEX. ;)

He said "Wednesday" for the "first week" of pre-orders, but it's definitely a little tricky to line up perfectly considering how pre-orders began and where the surges occurred. In any case, I expect the next update to come either late-afternoon/evening PST or early tomorrow morning.

Is the (purportedly) looming Southern California energy crisis a potential marketing opportunity for Tesla Energy? It is my thought that TE could announce a priority delivery to the affected region to reduce peak demand.

I realize TE is severely production constrained (I can’t get a call back for either PW or PP purchasing for my small business) but this could be an more than a marketing op as it will truly provide immediate ROI, as well as, build political clout.

Any idea if TE is producing enough PowerPacks to have a chance at making a dent in the expected shortfall? I always thought siting PP’s near mission critical water production and command centers they would improve CA’s earthquake survivability

• Informative
Reactions: Wenche
He said "Wednesday" for the "first week" of pre-orders, but it's definitely a little tricky to line up perfectly considering how pre-orders began and where the surges occurred. In any case, I expect the next update to come either late-afternoon/evening PST or early tomorrow morning.

Sydney is 14 hours ahead of EDT, so assuming that Sydney store opens at 10am, it will be 8pm on the East Coast. This is why, I think Elon tweeted that one week totals for the reservations will be posted on Wednesday. Today at 8pm will be exactly a week since last Thursday, 10 am in Sydney.

So it looks that we can expect a tweet some time after 8pm EDT.

The deposit figure will tell us 3 things.
1) How much additional cash Tesla has on hand from deposits.

2) The current rate at which deposits are coming in. First 2 days Tesla received about 100 every minute. After that, it fell to 20-30 every minute. Even if it is currently around 10 every minute, that's 14,400 every day. If this has continued, Tesla could have ~ 400,000 deposits by the end of today.

3) Hopefully Elon will be able to say something about how many Model 3 Tesla thinks it can realistically produce in 2017 during the conference call.

Note : If it's true the Federal tax credit will apply to an unlimited number of vehicles for 6 months after hitting the 200,000 mark, Tesla might want to time deliveries to maximize how many people are able to receive the tax credit.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Status
Not open for further replies.