Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what they were pretty certain about prior to the offering was that the family was not likely to sue them. At that point, it becomes quite immaterial from a financial perspective for Tesla, so a very reasonable argument can be made that no disclosure was necessary.
And even Tesla's legal dept. would veto such a release. Tesla new at the time and acknowledged that AutoPilot was on.

Just can't help but laugh that the "suspension issue" is listed as the first potentially unresolved issue. Umm, where have you been the last couple of weeks? Funny stuff by X yes?

Well, in fairness that was some of X Yes?'s best work so I am sure he is very proud of it.

Before jumping into the investment threads last week his main "contribution" to TMC was about 80 posts on the suspension thread.

After Keef Wivaneff was banned at least twice X Yes? and Dr Valueseeker took over to keep the good times rolling.

Well, in fairness that was some of X Yes?'s best work so I am sure he is very proud of it.

Before jumping into the investment threads last week his main "contribution" to TMC was about 80 posts on the suspension thread.

After Keef Wivaneff was banned twice X Yes? and Dr Valueseeker took over to keep the good times rolling.
Thank you for the compliment. I understand everyone loves the cars, isn't any one interested discussions of stock valuation? June has been a rough month with a lot of bad news, 90% of you think the stock charges up to $300 and beyond, regardless.

Well, I guess I am one of the 10%.....TSLA does not hit ATH/$300 until model 3 comes out on time and in volume. But, I do believe we hit ATH before we see 'double digit' TSLA which I think at least 1% of the people on the thread are touting.

I read some posts here with great interest. Anyone who has been here for some time recognizes the people that find nothing wrong with TM/EM and others that find nothing is right. The truth lies somewhere in between.

Thank you for the compliment. I understand everyone loves the cars, isn't any one interested discussions of stock valuation? June has been a rough month with a lot of bad news, 90% of you think the stock charges up to $300 and beyond regardless.

Stock price is relatively unchanged with the current negative news cycle and has even traded up on the some of the negative news. Looks like the greater market is starting to see through all of the FUD.

Reactions: TMSE and theschnell
But any gains induced by a short squeeze, particularly if it's caused by institutions calling in shares to vote will be temporary.
Some gains will be temporary, but any will not.

My guess on how high SP spike on potential short squeeze is as good as anybody's, but regardless on how high the spike is, the roll-back will NOT be to the level TSLA is at now. We will not see lower $200 post squeeze, not a chance.

Pump and dump would make sense.

Actually, in spite of being largest institutional shareowner of TSLA, Fidelity company's research highlights on TSLA are bearish. So "pump and dump" might make sense, but just does not apply here.

Last edited:
No, I am just assuming that there is more short interest than there are shares available to short. History serves a good example. The short squeeze from 2013 surely must have cost quite a few shorts a nice penny, yet they are still here in ample supply. Tesla is a love or hate stock and that's really not going to change for the foreseeable future. That means you'll find plenty of stubborn longs that load up as the stock slides from >200 to 140 and you'll find plenty of stubborn shorts that short some more while we rise from 140 back to >200.

Well, history indeed serves a good example. The one from 2013/2014 illustrates my point well. The squeeze took TSLA from mid $30-ies to $240-ies, with sub $100 never seen again. My point is that we will NOT see low $200 post squeeze. I believe that you are making a big mistake if you are counting on possibly getting in post squeeze at low $200 - we will not see these levels ever again.

If I would be in your shoes, assuming that you are having seconds thoughts on disposing of your TSLA position, I would wait for a TSLA to rise through $220 on volume as a confirmation of breakthrough, and re-enter then.

I'm a millennial. Can someone tell me if this same doom and gloom happened when cruise control was introduced, or when power windows were introduced?
It was never discussed much because it was introduced on premium vehicles first, and became commonplace among the very wealthy and very very few people even knew what it was or had access to it (yet enough people and car models had it to be entrenched in the automobile marketplace), before commoners knew what it was, so journalists could never sensationalize it because no one knew what it was, until it was commonplace (much later when it trickled down to the masses). The difference between that and Tesla is that Tesla is advertising "AP" ("AutoPilot") to the whole planet everywhere to everyone, and way beyond what it actually is, and naming it a very confusing ambiguous name that most people think means it drives itself*, and it is akin to the difference between a horse and a car (the horseless carriage), so people want to know what this newfangled mechanical horse brain is like, and they're paying full attention now. The horse (or cat) is out of the bag, completely, and I don't think it will be easy to put back in, like it was with the stealth introduction and trickle-down of cruise control.

* The truth becomes only a footnote in this full-broadcast version.

Last edited:
I was totally wrong about the price action of Tesla this week. I thought it will go down below $190 based on the deliveries. I feel so bullish now. I think TSLA is worth more than $200. The bears are definitely worried about the the 5000+ cars that are in delivery. I can't believe the kind of scrutiny Tesla and it's cars receives from the media and the hedge fund guys.

I believe Tesla Model S is probably the most researched car in the world. I don't believe any of the other cars have ever been researched this much. A car is a car. All these in the end is free marketing and brand awareness for Tesla.

Reactions: sundaymorning
Thank you for the compliment. I understand everyone loves the cars, isn't any one interested discussions of stock valuation? June has been a rough month with a lot of bad news, 90% of you think the stock charges up to $300 and beyond, regardless.

valuation? This isn't a value stock. If you're concerned about valuation, you're barking up the wrong tree. We're concerned about the latest news and events that might cause the stock to sway one way or the other. Your 9 or 11 points are all old FUD points that have been debated and refuted long ago, so they add nothing to the short term thread.

Myself and a few others here were pretty sure that we'd have a down day on Tuesday when Tesla missed on both deliveries and production. Some even sold on it. But it turned out we were wrong. It seems the institutional holders in recalling their loaned shares actually balanced out the negative sentiment. Stuff like that is relevant to the short term discussion thread. If you're just drudging up old debunked FUD, then you're not really contributing to the discussion.

And on that thought, let's segue back to the recalling of loaned securities. I think only the major institutional holders would recall their shares, since the smaller holders will realize that their votes don't really matter. With short interest rates at a premium at the moment, why not keep them on-loan to reap the payments? Just a WAG, but I'm guessing that 6-8 million shares recalled is the point where the "squeezing" stops.

valuation? This isn't a value stock. If you're concerned about valuation, you're barking up the wrong tree. We're concerned about the latest news and events that might cause the stock to sway one way or the other. Your 9 or 11 points are all old FUD points that have been debated and refuted long ago, so they add nothing to the short term thread.

Myself and a few others here were pretty sure that we'd have a down day on Tuesday when Tesla missed on both deliveries and production. Some even sold on it. But it turned out we were wrong. It seems the institutional holders in recalling their loaned shares actually balanced out the negative sentiment. Stuff like that is relevant to the short term discussion thread. If you're just drudging up old debunked FUD, then you're not really contributing to the discussion.

And on that thought, let's segue back to the recalling of loaned securities. I think only the major institutional holders would recall their shares, since the smaller holders will realize that their votes don't really matter. With short interest rates at a premium at the moment, why not keep them on-loan to reap the payments? Just a WAG, but I'm guessing that 6-8 million shares recalled is the point where the "squeezing" stops.
Do we know how many have been recalled so far?

Do we know how many have been recalled so far?

Do we even know for sure that any shares have been recalled from shorts already at all ?

I have the impression that is an assumption someone made, not based on proof or real data. It also seems early to me, why recall while making such high interest on loaning them out ? The vote is still about 2 months away, and will be anounced in advance. Lots of time to recall them, even after that formal announcement.

Or did I miss some posts on the subject ?

When I mentioned the share recall voting some time ago in the short thread, Tracking short interest , one of the replies was that this effect might be not so big, as the institutional holders might have bought the shares back from the shorts immediatly, and thus hold the voting rights anyway.

I do not think that assumption is is correct, and hope the top 10 institutional holders will all recall shortly after the announcement for the vote comes out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/07/b...l?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

I thought this report was fairly balanced. Nice given NYTs "Broder" article from a few years ago.

Couple points on FL fatality:

1). Trucker WILL be charged. Failure to yield.. Police say trucker is at fault.

2). Florida police said Tesla was doing 65 MPH

3). DVD player running/viewing is impossible to know according to police.

On PA turnpike crash:

1). Driver is out of hospital now and told NYT that his lawyers will issue statement shortly.

My comment on PA crash:

This driver appears to not be cooperating with Tesla on their crash investigation so far. Apparently tesla has yet to gain access to data logs in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.