Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My reaction - the two-day delay is not a big deal. If the event required an audience, it would not have been delayed. It's only delayed because Elon can delay it, and because he usually shows things as soon as he possibly can. This is kind of an illustration of the sense of urgency going on inside Tesla. As soon as the product is ready to show, it gets shown - not a month later, not 6 months later. This is why it was announced for today but ended up not being ready. It was probably Elon's intent to "rustle up" his presentation over the weekend, and he quickly realised he would not have time to get it up to snuff, so he needs a delay.

The Panasonic announcement - well, when a large partner company is already in bed with you, with billions of dollars on the line, and they elect to get more in bed with you before the first deal has come to fruition - that can't be viewed as a negative sign - only a positive indication of the regard Tesla's solar business must be held in by Panasonic. I formed the same view as vgrinshpun as soon as I read the press release; Solar City's upcoming production will not cease, it'll be in tandem with whatever Panasonic is doing, with Solar City focusing on the roofing product, and Panasonic doing their "conventional" PV panels for the roofs of IKEA, Walmart and other large commercial buildings. The world needs more solar power, and the more manufacturing is going on, the better.

Agency that vetted Tesla's Autopilot for Europe concerned about the name.

"Over the weekend, Germany's transport ministry said it had asked Tesla to stop using the term "Autopilot" in advertising because it might suggest drivers' attention was not needed.

Tesla said in response to that request that autopilot had been used in the aerospace industry for decades to describe a system operating in conjunction with a human driver, and the company had always made it clear to customers that the system required drivers to pay attention at all times."

"In 2015, the RDW approved Tesla's "Autopilot" feature for use throughout Europe. The agency's concerns only relate to the name and not to the system itself.
The Dutch Advertising Code Authority, which oversees standards in the advertising industry, said it had not received any complaints about Tesla's use of the name "Autopilot".

There are obviously two sales groups in SolarCity: one for residential and small commercial, another for large scale utility type grid connected solar. I believe that they are eliminating the first group replacing it with sales personnel at the Tesla stores. The second sales group stays intact (I doubt utility customers coming to Tesla store shopping for grid scale solar farm).

The large scale solar farm sales group will be exactly the group used to sell Pana solar cell based, Tesla branded solar energy system. The Tesla stores will sell Silevo solar roof based solar energy systems.

Come on now, there is nothing in the text that indicates this split. On the contrary, the press release specifically mentions that :

Under this agreement, which is contingent upon shareholders' approval of Tesla’s acquisition of SolarCity, Tesla will use the cells and modules in a solar energy system that will work seamlessly with Powerwall and Powerpack

Emphasis mine. The cells and modules produced under this agreement will be used for integrated solar energy systems based on Powerwalls too, which is unmistakenly the residential market.

Reactions: pGo
Every word counts towards one's credibility. Whether its a 2 day delay in a product announcement, or no need to raise capital in Q4.

Every word may count but not every word carries equal weight. Example: I promise to stop eating chocolate. I promise to stop drowning kittens. There is a significant difference. (And I can't believe I have to explain that.)

Come on now, there is nothing in the text that indicates this split. On the contrary, the press release specifically mentions that :

Emphasis mine. The cells and modules produced under this agreement will be used for integrated solar energy systems based on Powerwalls too, which is unmistakenly the residential market.

Here is my interpretation:
Pana PV technology to be used for residential (installation on existing roofs), commercial (installation on existing roofs), utility scale.
Silevo PV technology to be used for residential (new roofs), commercial (new roofs).

There is nothing in the Panasonic Cooperation Blog which contradicts this. The fact that Powerwalls can be used with Panasonic PV product (installation on existing roofs) does not mean that there will be no Powerwalls used with Silevo PV solar roof product (new roof installation). These two products clearly serve different markets.

Sentiment at an all time low in this forum. I believe the bottom is in.

You know how it goes - TSLA goes down and the sceptics come out of the woodwork having gotten water to their mill. I wouldn't think too much of it. Tesla and Elon are doing some really big strategic moves lately, heavy stuff like swallowing up SCTY, now this deal with Panasonic. These kinds of things aim further in to the future than next quarter and we all know how that tends to weigh negatively on stock price.

Agency that vetted Tesla's Autopilot for Europe concerned about the name.

"Over the weekend, Germany's transport ministry said it had asked Tesla to stop using the term "Autopilot" in advertising because it might suggest drivers' attention was not needed.

Tesla said in response to that request that autopilot had been used in the aerospace industry for decades to describe a system operating in conjunction with a human driver, and the company had always made it clear to customers that the system required drivers to pay attention at all times."

"In 2015, the RDW approved Tesla's "Autopilot" feature for use throughout Europe. The agency's concerns only relate to the name and not to the system itself.
The Dutch Advertising Code Authority, which oversees standards in the advertising industry, said it had not received any complaints about Tesla's use of the name "Autopilot".

Does Germany know that Tesla doesn't advertise? Should be pretty easy to stop when the advertising doesn't exist.

I hope we can clamp down on panic attacks and think rationally.

You'd be better off hoping for world peace.

Even here on this forum there are short-sighted, box thinking people. I'll blame it on this being the short term thread because otherwise my unwavering faith in mankind would take a significant hit.

Elon Musk is about cooperative effort. The more, the merrier. If you're with him you get open arms. If you're against him you get run over. Having Panasonic become more involved in whatever capacity only serves to strengthen Tesla, which only serves getting to the final goal. Tesla can't do *this* all by themselves (though admittedly they sure are giving it a go). There will have to be more mergers, more companies straight up bought and more partnerships. Indeed, Gigafactory was always 'advertised' as Tesla landlord with multiple entities working inside it from material/mining companies to cell manufacturers to recycling companies. There was no reason to think Buffalo factory was going to be any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.