Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on this is simple: It will all make sense by Nov 1.

Between TSLA product on 17th 19th, TSLA financials on 26th, TSLA/SCTY product on 28th, and Post-merger appearance explanation on Nov 1, I expect all the question marks (or at least most of them) to be erased.

I hope they address how the PCRFF "partnership" will be used to comply with SCTY's obligations to NY:

'In addition to its other obligations under the Riverbend Agreement, SolarCity must (i) use its best commercially reasonable efforts to commission the manufacturing equipment within three months of the Manufacturing Facility completion and reach full production output within three months thereafter, (ii) employ 1,460 high-tech jobs for the manufacturing operation at the Manufacturing Facility for five years after the Manufacturing Facility completion, (iii) employ at least 2,000 other personnel in the State of New York to support downstream solar panel sales and installation for five years after the Manufacturing Facility completion, (iv) work with the Foundation to attract 1,440 additional support contractor and supplier jobs in the State of New York following full production, (v) spend or incur approximately $5 billion in combined capital, operational expenses and other costs in the State of New York during the 10-year period following full production, (vi) make reasonable efforts to provide first consideration to New York-based suppliers, (vii) invest and spend in manufacturing operations at a level that ensures competitive product costs for at least five years from full production, and (viii) negotiate in good faith with the Foundation on an exclusive “first opportunity basis” for 120 days before entering into any agreement for additional solar panel manufacturing capacity that Silevo may wish to develop during the term of the agreement. If SolarCity fails in any year over the course of the 10-year term to meet its specified investment and job creation obligations, as described above, SolarCity would be obligated to pay a “program payment” of $41.2 million to the Foundation in any such year..."

Per DJ Newswires: "Jason Conwall, a spokesman for Empire State Development, the state agency overseeing the Buffalo Billion project, said construction of the building is set to be completed next month, and that it could start churning out products products by the end of June.."

That's an extremely ambitious schedule given the supply chain lead times for heavy industrial manufacturing equipment and it's a non-binding letter of intent contingent on the SCTY purchase closing.

Here is my interpretation:
Pana PV technology to be used for residential (installation on existing roofs), commercial (installation on existing roofs), utility scale.
Silevo PV technology to be used for residential (new roofs), commercial (new roofs).

There is nothing in the Panasonic Cooperation Blog which contradicts this. The fact that Powerwalls can be used with Panasonic PV product (installation on existing roofs) does not mean that there will be no Powerwalls used with Silevo PV solar roof product (new roof installation). These two products clearly serve different markets.

I think agreement with Panasonic means that Silevo panels will not be produced in quantity solarCity/Tesla needs any time soon. Silevo will likely be a 'black label' brand selling at premium at low quantities until production is ramped up. I like this plan as it means that they can work on their Silevo 2.0 line while Panasonic is churning regular panels next year.

$195 + $2 has been a local bottom a few times. Betting we've seen the low today.

Here are the levels I am keeping an eye on for potential bottoms:

Daily chart: Lower BB: ~193, july intermediate low ~190

Weekly chart: 200 week SMA ~ 190, lower BB ~186

Monthly chart: confluence of 50 Month SMA and lower BB ~178 to 180

This will override whatever concerns there were about the delayed product announcement.

Tesla brings the sizzle and Panasonic brings the steak to the table. There should be no market doubt about Panasonic's timeline credibility. There will be solar cells coming out of that buffalo factory next year.

With this left-field announcement, I wonder if the Wednesday product reveal was contingent on this partnership being announced?

Monday will be an up day! :)

@myusername, if you want credibility, you need to participate in the discussion and own up to your own mistakes, not cherry pick data points to paint a picture.

I stand before you with a heaping big pile of crow.

It seems this wasn't enough of a positive to bring more longs into the fold. Plus the availability of more shares to be shorted probably isn't helping. If I had to guess, perhaps the more cautious investors are looking at the availability of new shares as not something to confront headline, but to be waited out until the ER and Q4 guidance?

@myusername, if you want credibility, you need to participate in the discussion and own up to your own mistakes, not cherry pick data points to paint a picture.

I stand before you with a heaping big pile of crow.

It seems this wasn't enough of a positive to bring more longs into the fold. Plus the availability of more shares to be shorted probably isn't helping. If I had to guess, perhaps the more cautious investors are looking at the availability of new shares as not something to confront headline, but to be waited out until the ER and Q4 guidance?
get off your horse please... thanks. name one "mistake"... i'd be happy to discuss it.

Markets do not like uncertainty, and the one two punch of the announcement delay AND the panasonic agreement with no mention of Silevo is just too much. Tesla is getting close to another stock strike lawsuit just through mismanagement of their PRs. I know Elon thinks strategically and a few days delay getting info out or crafting a press release with all obvious questions answered is kinda irrelevant in his eyes, but come on man, you are letting your shareholders twist in the wind.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam and Drax7
it'll be in tandem with whatever Panasonic is doing, with Solar City focusing on the roofing product, and Panasonic doing their "conventional" PV panels for the roofs of IKEA, Walmart and other large commercial buildings. The world needs more solar power, and the more manufacturing is going on, the better.

There's also the possibility of sharing patents for PV if there is an efficiency, chemistry, longevity, or other synergy in the long run by combining Silevo and Panasonic technology.

Markets do not like uncertainty, and the one two punch of the announcement delay AND the panasonic agreement with no mention of Silevo is just too much. Tesla is getting close to another stock strike lawsuit just through mismanagement of their PRs. I know Elon thinks strategically and a few days delay getting info out or crafting a press release with all obvious questions answered is kinda irrelevant in his eyes, but come on man, you are letting your shareholders twist in the wind.
Your comment about a stock strike lawsuit is nonsensical. What is the legal basis for a claim?

Why is the stock falling?
i'll give you a technical reason:

look at the 6 month chart... massive inverted cup and handle... i mentioned it a few weeks ago that it was forming and now with a continued down or hold under $193.xx and it's confirmed (as much as any technical reasoning can be)... anyway... target would be in the $170s or lower from here.

• Disagree
Reactions: Drax7 and esk8mw
I can't remember the last time there were so many catalysts lined up, I think some are out of order and speculative but... Am I missing anything?

Mystery announcement
Possible release of preliminary merger vote results
New solar product
Possible reservations #s for new solar product
Merger info dump
Q3 numbers, reiterated or raised Q4 guidance, more visibility on TE
Election
Merger
Panasonic Silevo deal formalized
Autopilot 2.0 (that's this year right?)
Model 3 (also this year right?)

i'll give you a technical reason:

look at the 6 month chart... massive inverted cup and handle... i mentioned it a few weeks ago that it was forming and now with a continued down or hold under $193.xx and it's confirmed (as much as any technical reasoning can be)... anyway... target would be in the $170s or lower from here.
Or maybe just the quants backed out of trade since the new product announcement is pushed forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.