Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a brief survey of stories (I just googled "Tesla news"), I find generally positive coverage:
- Wall Street Journal (Tesla Expects to Demonstrate Self-Driven Cross-Country Trip Next Year)
- CNBC- They have a gentleman from Kelly Blue Book praising Tesla for doing the right thing and including the necessary full autonomy hardware on cars being built today (All Tesla vehicles being produced now have full self-driving hardware)
- USA Today (Tesla announces fully self-driving cars - USA Today)

Bloomberg is reporting that that due to recent accidents, Tesla is discontinuing autopilot features on all new models until the features can be improved - but that they're still including sensors for future use like all other manufacturers. (also reprinted by yahoo)

Tesla Slams Brake on Driverless Cars

"Hit Piece 101".

Shame shame shame...

That Bloomberg contributor article is shockingly bad. Taking the introduction of Level 5 autonomy and saying it's because Tesla wants to stop it's current autopilot. Wow. How do these "journalists" sleep at night? Killing people indeed.... to accomplish what? Make a few bucks for their short positions or the short positions of their fossil fuel industry buddies?

Reactions: SpaceAce
I guess many people share my concern, when would Tesla get to level 5.

Concept seems to be simple, deep neural network with sophisticated sensors. If that is the case, then what about Google? Google is undoubtedly one of the leaders in AI and one of the best in software. they have been working on this for years without a product in sight.

Markets being what they are, I expect the stock to finish tomorrow around 195.

Most of the asian markets have opened higher, due to confidence arising out of the 3rd presidential debate. Hopefully this macro factor translates around the world. If I'm reading the displays directly, it looks like TSLA is up very slightly in the German pre-market.

And Bloomberg's editors need to reconcile their postings. This one doesn't sound negative at all... written as if the other article doesn't exist, in fact.

Tesla Hastens Self-Driving Future as All New Models Add Hardware

Curious why you expect Tesla to be down so hard tomorrow? This has short term goodness written all over it for the immediate financial future not to mention the longer term.
Mainly the algo effect of sell on the news. As with many technical events/truisms, they are sort of a self fulfilling prophesy. People expect a sell off, so they short, and the result is....a sell off! Then stop losses get triggered and other weak longs get spooked and sell. Once the day traders get involved in a stock it can really distort prices in the short term.

Lately, TSLA has not been shrugging off the short selling and it's had a lasting effect in many cases, probably due to being in the merger twilight zone. I don't think this twilight zone will last through the er, though. I expect a big move from the er, merger or not. To be clear, I think the market reaction tomorrow will be short lived and therefore inconsequential bc er is soon.

My best guess is a drop tomorrow, trade between 195 and 205 until er, then BAM.

For those complaining this was not a Model-3 part 2 event, it was absolutely one.

It was no coincidence that just before this event, it was announced that the M3 is sold out for the first year of production. Not there is another big reason than incentives to rent your place in the reservation line.

Many people ccepted that Tesla was serious on getting to automous driving. However imho probably few people believed a car with an entry price of 35k instead of 85k would be upgradeable to that. Now this has been fully confirmed. They might still doubt full level-5 will get there, but will start to accept level-4 wis realistic.

Many people will now assume that in order to get a car capable for autonomous driving in that price class, there will be no other option than a Model-3 for a long time. That will not only attract early adopters, but also open up a much wider market.

- elderly people (like my 70/80 yr old parents) who want to stay mobile, level-4 would be great for them. This is a hughe market, specially in countries with less-than-good public transport and relatively big distances whre people very much depend on mobility. This is a hughe market.

- people who only buy cars once in 5 years will hold off buying an other car and reserve their 2018 upgradeable-to-self-driving car.

So we might just have seen the a big Model-3 reservation push. The market will soon realize that delaying reserving your car now will potentially mean waiting until after 2020 for your level-4 autonomous car.

Next to that, this off course will make many MX/MS fence sitters jump.

Reactions: SpaceAce and Johan
So not quite M3 pt 2 but really AP2. It's an absolute everything on red move, typical for a high-risk tolerant person like Elon. Honestly I don't know how it is going to turn out. But clearly, the company is taking a calculated risk here. Smart fence sitter could buy the car now or an even smarter fence sitter could simply buy the car when the software is actually ready. But the pay off could be immense. No other manufacturer is even close in how aggressive Tesla's autonomous road map is. If they can pull it off, only crumbles will remain on the mid to high end car market. If I were owning a traditional car maker's shares, the sell order would already be in.

Regarding (short term) financials, Tesla will have a better gross margin on AP2 cars. But at the same time it will have to drop the price on current inventory (like it did last quarter). Either by lowering recorded revenue (lowers GM) or by chalking it up as a cost of sales (does not lower GM, but increases SG&A expenses). It's quite possible that the last 4 weeks have been nearly 100% dedicated to inventory builds which would mean Tesla has an inventory of nearly 10k cars. I think we are going to see deals in the order of 10k, just like the facelift deals (which was frankly not such a big deal). That's a $100M deduction from the profit column over the next two quarters or so.

Regarding Tesla Network : I remain skeptical but if they pull it off, it's going to be huge as well. Clearly, Tesla is aiming for the Silicon Valley model : we give you an incredible service but we are taking away from your pure ownership. There'll be some grumbles but it seems individual buyers don't mind too much. They skipped owning DVDs for the convenience of Netflix and they'll likely skip having complete control over their car for the convenience of having it work for them without any barrier of entry at all (AKA push the button on the app and go to sleep while your car is ferrying people from the movies home)

Curious why you expect Tesla to be down so hard tomorrow? This has short term goodness written all over it for the immediate financial future not to mention the longer term.
Hes basing it on sell the news/hype but this AP 2.0 is pretty big news and expected outside of TMC, which would increase demand and margin for next couple quarters and also model 3 reservation, plus uber like service in a few years. It's gonna be hard to tell where the SP will be tomorrow, but in a couple years time frame its a no brainer SP has no where to go but up. Everyone else is 7 years behind TSLA now even further behind more like 10! Super charger network, OTA networks, fastest electric engine, biggest car batteries, cheapest storage batteries power wall/packs, to name a few and leader in level 5 self driving complete hardware NOW plus full autonomy in 2017 (barring regulation) which allows test drive LA to New York.

Reactions: SpaceAce
Regarding (short term) financials, Tesla will have a better gross margin on AP2 cars. But at the same time it will have to drop the price on current inventory (like it did last quarter). Either by lowering recorded revenue (lowers GM) or by chalking it up as a cost of sales (does not lower GM, but increases SG&A expenses). It's quite possible that the last 4 weeks have been nearly 100% dedicated to inventory builds which would mean Tesla has an inventory of nearly 10k cars. I think we are going to see deals in the order of 10k, just like the facelift deals (which was frankly not such a big deal). That's a $100M deduction from the profit column over the next two quarters or so.
That depends on when they started making the cars with the new hardware.

Mainly the algo effect of sell on the news. As with many technical events/truisms, they are sort of a self fulfilling prophesy. People expect a sell off, so they short, and the result is....a sell off! Then stop losses get triggered and other weak longs get spooked and sell. Once the day traders get involved in a stock it can really distort prices in the short term.

Lately, TSLA has not been shrugging off the short selling and it's had a lasting effect in many cases, probably due to being in the merger twilight zone. I don't think this twilight zone will last through the er, though. I expect a big move from the er, merger or not. To be clear, I think the market reaction tomorrow will be short lived and therefore inconsequential bc er is soon.

My best guess is a drop tomorrow, trade between 195 and 205 until er, then BAM.

I agree with your assessment, and have positioned myself accordingly.

However last two days volumes were increasing green days. Further we are at a period of relatively low prices for Tesla. Candlestick formation, at least the first two days, looks like it maybe developing into a "Three White Soldiers" formation, very bullish. Furthermore from the chart pattern, I wonder if we are looking at a double bottom? We shall see! Very exciting!

TSLA20161019.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Turing
I sent an email to the author and his editor: "Your article completely missed the mark. You need to think much more deeply about the implications of this development. "

Forget it. This is not an example of stupidity but one of paid bias - they're in the pockets of Tesla's competitors, the negative premise is given beforehand, now they're just trying to come up with ways to spin this negatively.

This is huge ! TM has just announced their lead is not 5 or 7 years , but more like 10 ! Long term super bullish, so today i'm hoping for massive FUD on all channels to be able to scoop up some shares under 200, for maybe the last time.
We will see all kinds of articles telling us how impossible autonomous driving is, how dangerous, and constructing the most unprobable scenarios where the software has to decide whether to kill a diasabled pedestrian or the 35 years old mother of 25 kids who's being driven in the car while simultaniously hitting a bus full of pre school children...go for it SeekinAlf

Status
Not open for further replies.