Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced the arbitrage trade is really what's going on here.

SCTY is ahead of where the merger ratio says it should be relative to TSLA by about $0.12 per share, based on TSLAs drop. ($2.79 * 0.11 = $0.31, vs the $0.18 or so SCTY is down). That certainly suggests some strength in SCTY due to a closing arbitrage gap, but both shares being red doesn't make sense.

SCTY is the one that is being manipulated here (it can be done with much smaller number of shares). If you control price of SCTY you have risk free way to control price of TSLA. It's already going on since August.

Reactions: tander
Perhaps some larger positions in TSLA are being liquidated or reduced??

Individuals and institutions with large holdings in TSLA don't sell in big blocks early in the morning in such a way that they bring the stock price down (unless there's bad news which requires a very quick movement). Big holders of stock tend to sell slowly so as to have the least influence on stock price and therefore exit at the highest price.

Tesla mentioned additional info about the merger will be released tomorrow.

Slight observation: I don't think people understand the significance of SolarCity having 300,000 customers. When the time comes for these people to get a new roof, they will certainly get a SolarCity roof. At least 50% of current SolarCity customers will buy a Powerwall within next 1-2 years.

Analyst reaction to ER

If we were to focus exclusively on big investment banks, here is what price targets look like

Firm Pre-ER Post-ER
------------------------------------------
Morgan Stanley 245 245
RBC 210 220
Goldman Sachs 185 190
JP Morgan 180 180
Barclay's 165 165

Again just looking at the big investment banks not even one of them updated, or even re-iterated, their price targets this morning. It's as if the roof event didn't even happen.

I am expecting some updates later tonight or early tomorrow based on what happens on the financials call.

Last edited:
Tesla mentioned additional info about the merger will be released tomorrow.

Slight observation: I don't think people understand the significance of SolarCity having 300,000 customers. When the time comes for these people to get a new roof, they will certainly get a SolarCity roof. At least 50% of current SolarCity customers will buy a Powerwall within next 1-2 years.

The value of the powerwall to every existing Solarcity customer is backup only. Some will buy simply because it is a neat product. But solarcity customer on the whole are the people who went for the "free solar" pitch. The powerwall will not be free.

I do think in general the new powerwall will sell very well worldwide. It will also help drive new solarcity sales.

No idea. Just seems to me that tesla is really "in the penalty box" over the SCTY acquisition. The tone from the analysts on the earnings call was so cold. I was shocked.

Then, the analyst reports came out. Should've seen some upgrades and positive notes, but didn't happen.

Looking forward to the financial call tomorrow on SCTY. Unclear if this'll have any effect on WallSt's attitude.
If you listen to some of the SolarCity earnings calls around early 2016 you will hear a much colder, sometimes even contemptuous tone.

The value of the powerwall to every existing Solarcity customer is backup only. Some will buy simply because it is a neat product. But solarcity customer on the whole are the people who went for the "free solar" pitch. The powerwall will not be free.

I do think in general the new powerwall will sell very well worldwide. It will also help drive new solarcity sales.

A backup generator that uses Gasoline or Diesel costs far more than the Powerwall. Even if you assume it is only used as backup, it's a huge bargain, and there is a huge market for it.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
My bingo card has:

"Synergy"
"Integration"
"Beautiful roofing"
"Cost improvement"
Some variation of "soup to nuts"
If you listen to some of the SolarCity earnings calls around early 2016 you will hear a much colder, sometimes even contemptuous tone.

The whole attitude change after the SunEdison debacle, that draw down the whole industry. IMO the whole negativity around SolarCity is mostly psychological ... but when you need money that's not a minor thing.

• Informative
Reactions: AndreN and Turing
There is a new forum thread titled "Valuation". It's pretty sickening looking at comments, seems like everyone in this forum is still blindedly bullish, implying more downside to the stock. Until everyone throws the white flag, I don't see us bouncing back from this valley of the death.

Statistically, user CalgaryArsenal is your best contrary indicator. When TSLA hit $140-150 early in the year, he threw a white flag and giving up, then we bounced fiercely in Mar and Apr to $260-270. CalgaryArsenal was nowhere to be found during that rally. Then, suddenly he showed up again at $270 being bullish, and now look what happened since then.

This forum is the best contra-indicator for TSLA. Used to be when "haikus" are out, the stock topped out.

How is it zero risk? To my understanding Solar City has max 20 year deals with its customers. 20 years is a long time.

Right, SolarCity has 20 year contracts with the people whose roofs those PPA systems are on, and those roofs have 20 year contracts with the power company for a rate at which they will be paid for the power generated. In essence, SCTY gets (most of) the money from the power company. Its rate is prescribed for 20 years, and for the power company to reneg on it constitutes an actionable breach of contract - zero risk. What will happen (how much money the power company will pay SCTY by way of SCTY's customer whose roof it is) is known upfront. That future cashflow is an asset, and its paid for by SCTY taking on debt in the amount needed to pay for the installation at no upfront cost to the customer. SCTY now owns the debt, and the future cashflow. If you can sell off the future cashflow for a greater amount than the debt, OR carry the debt for less than the cashflow, there is no-risk.

Really? Aren't generators much cheaper than 6k?

It depends on the type and the home but I know people who paid 20-25K for their Natural Gas Generators for their homes. This doesn't even include the inspection costs that have to be done or the actual fuel. The Powerwall 2 is a huge step change.

This is one of the reasons why this is such a huge market opportunity for Tesla and it befuddles me why SP hasn't reacted.

The whole attitude change after the SunEdison debacle, that draw down the whole industry. IMO the whole negativity around SolarCity is mostly psychological ... but when you need money that's not a minor thing.

Which is why the merger has a good chance of looking brilliant within a few quarters. Elon's being greedy when the general market consensus is fearful.

Status
Not open for further replies.