Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to challenge your theory that a pattern you've been tracking has led to small short squeezes and if TSLA doesn't stay above 198, bad things are in store.

First of all, if you look at the technicals, the upper bollinger band is in the vicinity of 198, the 50 dma is not much higher, and the lower bollinger band is not far below our current price. What's at stake is not whether this pattern you've been observing pans out or not, what's at stake is whether TSLA remains above these technically-significant numbers. Lots of traders believe in technicals.

That said, TSLA's numbers are often a work of fiction. Take today's closing price. During the final 30 minutes of trading when volume was way low, some shorts had a selling party and brought TSLA down a bit. When there's volume, TSLA typically trades higher, but in the late afternoons when many traders step away from their computers, the shorties go to work and create an artificially low closing price. The problem with this technique is that it is an illusion. Longs didn't send it there, and longs bid the price up much higher for all but the final hour of the day, but the shorts know how to play this game and sold the price of TSLA down in the last hour of the day so that the numbers will concern technically-based traders who don't realize how rigged the numbers are. With 20,000 shares to sell, a clever short can sometimes send the SP down a full point in the last hour of trading, this on a day with over 3 million shares traded. It's gamesmanship, man.

As for your claim that the stock price was elevated due to small short squeezes, the data at www.shortanalytics.com suggests otherwise. For most of this week we've seen shorts responsible for only 36-38% of trades, and when you see the rather high drawdowns of shares to short each morning, you realize the vast majority of the short activity is selling, not buying. Short holdings of TSLA have been growing, not decreasing recently.

I also believe you were the person who kept saying that if TSLA fell below 194 a few months ago, it was heading to 160-170. TSLA went quite a bit below 194 but longs wouldn't allow it to settle below 180. They kept buying even when shorts were selling like madmen to push TSLA into the 170s and create a crisis.

I invite you to defend your theory. Provide data to back up your claims. To be honest, I get really tired of these claims that TSLA is going to fall off a cliff if this price isn't held. Recent history (the past two months) argues otherwise.
i think you might not have seen my original posts on this... i'm expecting $203 to $205 tomorrow... and I said, but if whatever's driving this pattern stops... then we should know with a break under $198 without recovery... pretty simple... but actually, i'm micro-short term long.

maxpain

Tomorrow is a big, triple witching expiration. On days like that, max pain has lots more bite than regular Friday.
Having said that, curve is quite shallow, so not a lots of difference to MMs if SP finished anywhere between $195 and $205.

I promised myself after the last triple witching that I would pay close attention next go around. Price opened at 200.42 and closed at 205.4 on 9/16 (max pain was 205). I have attached the max-pain graphs from after hours 9/15 (day before Sept triple witching and also max-pain graph from after hours today. Open interest was a lot higher on 9/15, so MM were paying out more on September 16th regardless. However, for both dates the curve is similarly shallow from 5 dollars below up to the max-pain strike price. Eyeballing the graphs i would say maybe 9 million dollars was at stake between 200 and 205 strike prices on 9/16, and maybe 7 million dollars between 195 and 200 for tomorrow. If price gets down to ~195 tomorrow at some point, I might be tempted to day trade some calls if the option price is right.

Attachments

• Max-pain-taken 9-15-16.png
    Max-pain-taken 9-15-16.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 37
  • max pain taken 12-15-16.png
    max pain taken 12-15-16.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 40
jesus man... what's wrong with you... the stock got freaking pinned on $198 just like I described it might... damn... give credit where credit is due...

No, that's not what you said. You said nothing about the price getting freaking pinned on $198. You talked about $198 being a possible important price where the stock could go up $5-6 after a 4 hour window, or if $198 got heavily broken it could go down and break the pattern you thought you were seeing.

and no... 50c under $198 is not "heavily broken"... do you think that's "heavily broken"... stop being such a hard ass... a $1.50 drop or more without a recovery is what I was thinking.

Obviously I'm unable to read your mind, so that's why I asked what YOUR definition of heavily broken meant. At least now that you've produced a number, you can't come back and claim heavily broken means something else. Be specific otherwise it all comes out; it might go up, it might go down - which is something any of us can guess at.

i think you might not have seen my original posts on this... i'm expecting $203 to $205 tomorrow... and I said, but if whatever's driving this pattern stops... then we should know with a break under $198 without recovery... pretty simple... but actually, i'm micro-short term long.

Actually, I did read your reply to Irishjugg. You were talking about Thursday, not Friday.

In his second note this week, Adam Jonas weighs in on how Tesla might fare well under the Trump administration.

"Tesla Motors directly employs nearly 25k people in the US and the Model 3 could possibly have a higher percentage of US hardware than any other car on sale today. Given a potential recasting of economic priorities and international trade rules, Tesla may be in a surprisingly strong position."

"To the extent the creation of high tech manufacturing jobs in the United States is a high priority of the administration, we believe Mr. Musk might have some interests that could be very much in alignment with those of Mr. Trump."

Elon Musk was selected as a member of Trump's technology advisory council, and a first one-on-one meeting with the president-elect was confirmed by Tesla, Jonas noted.

However, price target remains the same at $242, with an equal-weight stock rating and cautious industry view.

No surprise there. It was in their blog back in Oct: Tesla and Panasonic to Collaborate on Photovoltaic Cell and Module Production in Buffalo, New York

"Tesla intends to provide a long-term purchase commitment for those cells from Panasonic" [ for the solar roof ]

The difference here is that the above news talks about Panasonic opening shuttered manufacturing in Asia to provide panels, independent of Buffalo. I'm not going to speculate because I don't know enough..

Quite the international marriage these two have.

The difference here is that the above news talks about Panasonic opening shuttered manufacturing in Asia to provide panels, independent of Buffalo. I'm not going to speculate because I don't know enough..

The article also cites that the re-opened plant was in addition to running the buffalo plant. One interpretation is that the purchase contract requires more cells than what the buffalo plant can provide.

The article also cites that the re-opened plant was in addition to running the buffalo plant. One interpretation is that the purchase contract requires more cells than what the buffalo plant can provide.

More demand?;)

What you say is correct, but Elon absolutely is an excellent marketer. I can't really figure out why people here disagree with that.

On a ~0 ad budget Tesla has built an enormous following, period. That's marketing, this following didn't exist just because Tesla made a great car. Tesla doesn't have YouTube videos with millions of views about how great is car is, the ones with millions of views are about "insane mode" "ludicrous mode", articles talk about "bioweapon defense mode" and "falcon wing doors."
That's marketing, and Elon is one of the best at marketing currently in the world.

I understand why people think Elon is a brilliant marketer, but I don't know if i agree with that. I think he is decent at marketing (very good at twitter, for example), but i think most of the secret sauce there is not marketing talent so much as doing unique and cool things that stand out in their respective markets. I'd estimate that is 80% of it, or more. If you look at solarcity's business model for example, it relied heavily on more traditional marketing and spent a ton on advertising and sales, because there wasn't anything that stood out about Solarcity's products relative to its peers. Elon is working to change that with the aesthetically pleasing solar roofs and that fits with his innovative unique product that garners free publicity approach - but I don't see that so much as marketing talent, but more product and engineering led. I feel like the true judge of marketing talent is the ability to market/sell the same standard product better than your peers. Like say Pepsi. If Elon had to take over a more boring company like Pepsi, would he excel at marketing there?

As we have been speculating about the Model-3 dashboard, HUD and Tesla Glass, some of you who can visit the CES might want to check out what BMW wants to show.

"Similarly to the head-up Display, the image of a full-color display is generated by the use of reflections – but now in free-floating form within the interior rather than through projection onto the windscreen"

BMW to demo innovative HMI concept at CES

The article refers to this company : Ultrahaptics - A remarkable connection with technology What they show reminds me of Elon's CAD demo's at SpaceX.
Notice the car / display used in the clip (animation ?) on their homepage and the automotive application section :)

Status
Not open for further replies.