Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyone here who follows specific oil companies? I anticipate a wave of bankruptcies in the oil and gas industry in the next 6 -12 months and would like to take advantage of that financially. Te number of companies in the industry going bankrupt continues to increase anyways, but recent events should speed that up even more.

Advice on what small cap companies most likely to be at imminent risk would be much appreciated. I am planning to just buy some cheap lottery puts but want to diversify across a number of them. The other option is to buy puts on an ETF covering these smaller companies.

Is there anyone here who follows specific oil companies?

No, but my impression is that the american shale drillers have higher forward sales than conventional oil.

How a company matches its financing is the big issue. Those in the industry will know which oil companies hedge and which prefer exposure. They also attract differing investors.

I've seen the same in Gold. Some companies hedge, some like to be unhedged. It seems that the companies that hedge look for the more risk averse investor, the companies that don't hedge are for the more commodity focused investor.

Either way, the company with refinancing coming up soon is the company most at risk.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: pz1975 and Dr. J
How a company matches its financing is the big issue. Those in the industry will know which oil companies hedge and which prefer exposure.
In my experience from > a decade ago investing in oil companies, this information is generally in the 10K/10Q.

Edit: much depends on who is on the other side of the hedge, that is, how likely is the hedged price and quantity to be honored.

That's interesting. Near 100% payout of earnings, but negative free cash flow. So investors who are only looking at earnings and dividends, and ignoring cash flow, could be lulled into complacency.

• Helpful
Reactions: ABCTG
The the 2016 $260 TSLA shares that I thought were too expensive are up.
The 2019 $12 Jan 2021 $450 TSLA calls that I thought were a bit too expensive are looking good.

The $80 & $90 Chevron 2022 puts I thought were a bit too expensive at $3-5 weeks ago are now in the money.

Being a half-smart cheap bastard has cost me literally millions.

A chart can help put this price drop into historical perspective. Oil is nearly back the bottom of the glut in 2016. It took oil several years to sink this low. This time seems much faster. Maybe it has further to fall. The market is not yet contemplating just how long it could take for prices to recover.

Drill, baby, drill!

brent_crude-2020-03-09.jpg.png

Reactions: navguy12
So for the longest time, it seem US oil investors have followed the idea that they can produce as much as they like and count on OPEC+ to cut production and stabilize prices. We've been wondering when OPEC would stop rolling over to US shale. Now we know. It seems a 2.3 mb/d cut is a bridge too far to hold Russia in with OPEC. This is about a 5% cut.

I actually think it is good for banks and investors to get a feel for how fragile oil demand has become. This is just a forewarning for how nasty peak oil demand can become. EVs and RE will continue to erode demand. This exposes the industry to every little hiccup in demand.

Realistically I do not think it is smart for OPEC+ to keep the price of oil high enough that US shale can keep expanding production. Maybe there is a happy price in the low $40s where OPEC+ can get solid revenue without conceding share to US shale.

Reactions: replicant