Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should auto headlights work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a MS in mid December and since delivery my headlights always stay on. I have had 3-4 software updates and still no change. My questions to folks are:

1) should auto headlights work and
2) should auto highbeams work? Or is auto highbeam only part of certain packages?

Similar issue on my mid-December MS. Off and Auto modes seem to both be Auto. In daylight, they do seem to eventually go off. Turn on again when I pull into the garage.

I don't think that the auto high-beams are enabled yet on HW2. I guess the three forward-facing cameras can't figure out what to look for yet. Maybe Tesla should check out the "electric eye" on 1950s Cadillacs.

I think all current Teslas come with auto high-beam dimming. But I could be wrong on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blu Zap
Auto brights haven't been enabled for AP2 cars just yet. Auto on/off finally started working correctly for me in the 17.3.2 update I received on 1/22.

Thanks @theslimshadyist So dumb question. When you say auto on/off started working correctly with the 17.3.2 update, does that mean the lights are completely off during the day or are the Daytime Running Lamps illuminated (i.e. the LED halo look)? Still haven't been able to figure out if we have DRL's.

How about rain sensing? On AP1, the auto wipers, auto headlights on/off and auto screen dimming, all rely on the Hella light/rain sensor in the windshield - right next to the mobileye camera.

Would be interesting to know if this is the same on AP2 cars.

Auto high beams however, at least in AP2 cars, should rely on forward camera input data processing. That explains the missing auto high beams on AP2 cars - we know Tesla is still just beginning to implement functions that computes on the PX2...

All of these functions are using the front cameras on HW2.

The auto headlight feature is enabled on HW2 now, but it tends to stay on longer then you might expect. When off, I believe the DRLs are now working, but there isn't a switch on the UI to manually turn them on/off like there is on US hw1 cars, at least not yet. In some markets the use of DRLs is required by law and the switch isn't there.

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
All of these functions are using the front cameras on HW2.

The auto headlight feature is enabled on HW2 now, but it tends to stay on longer then you might expect. When off, I believe the DRLs are now working, but there isn't a switch on the UI to manually turn them on/off like there is on US hw1 cars, at least not yet. In some markets the use of DRLs is required by law and the switch isn't there.

Thanks, that is helpful. So just to confirm...on HW2 cars (with the 17.x.x update) if its bright and sunny and I have the headlights setting to "Auto" (Range Mode --> "Off") then the DRL's should be illuminated. Same conditions with the headlights setting to "Off" then no DRL's?

Thanks, that is helpful. So just to confirm...on HW2 cars (with the 17.x.x update) if its bright and sunny and I have the headlights setting to "Auto" (Range Mode --> "Off") then the DRL's should be illuminated. Same conditions with the headlights setting to "Off" then no DRL's?
I am not sure that is true for me. I am on the 17.x.x update and my lights are always on.

This seems to be a common question / complaint. I'm AP2 w/ 17.3.2 and auto headlights work, but IMHO the threshold for "it's light outside" is higher than I'm used to on other cars. In Chicago it has been cloudy almost every day this January, but during periods of sun the lights do turn off. During overcast days, though, the lights stay on even when maybe I'd assume they'd be off.

It appears that DRLs are always on whether the lights are turned off automatically or via the control panel. And by DRLs I mean the LED halo / eyebrow lightbar.

Mine have been working great (auto headlights). rain sensor is tied to forward cameras and isn't functioning (yet). Auto high beam and dimming is definitely not even being discussed. The DRLs stay on for me but headlights have a higher light threshold than most think. I don't mind as Chicago has been cloudy (gray stratus blanket) recently (but not today!) and 3/4 cloudy days had headlights on for some of the day but off for the brightest portions. DRLs look cool and are safer, so I'm all good with leaving those on all the time.