Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

should I change my P85 AP1.0 to X 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what I need is a comparison table between the 75, 85 and 90 batteries - distance you can get on a full charge, accelleration etc etc. Would buying a new X with a 75 battery be a big step backwards or is the new 75 battery better than the 85 or 90 - Tesla dont make it clear!!

I wouldn't until the EAP does something remarkably better.

I also wouldn't until Tesla creates more separation from the Model S/X 75 and the long range Model 3. I do expect this within 6 months (pure speculation, and not based on any evidence).

As a 70D AP1 owner I'm sticking with my car until then. Or I'll switch to the All-Wheel drive Performance version of the 3 when it comes out.

Wait, in my opinion.

Model 3 is bound to cause more ripple effects in Model S and Model X over the coming weeks and months. I would personally wait until after October 2017 at least and preferably after Q1/2018 to see what happens.

For example we don't know when Model S/X are getting the ninth camera (the interior camera) and we know very little still of the AP HW 2.5 in Model 3 and now/soon shipping in Model S/X - is it related to the ninth camera and will it get to Model S/X soon or perhaps only in some (near?) future software refresh.

Tesla has been constantly changing with no specific timeline so I'll just buy what I need now or I'll just wait forever!

Waiting forever is a good option if you already have a perfectly good Tesla to drive. That takes care of the biggest reason to get one, after all.

I have noted before but the constant changes do seem to create some level of constant Osborning especially for people who already have a Tesla. I have noted this both in myself and others - why upgrade when you may get even more by always waiting a quarter more or two... and you are in no rush because you already have a Tesla...

As @Tam pointed out, your Wh/mile used will be higher in a Model X because it's bigger and heavier. You won't get as much range in the 75D. Having a front motor will be somewhat louder than RWD. Also, you'll be giving up a lot of the frunk space that you've become accustomed to (well, assuming that you have... some people don't use their frunk, hard as that is for me to imagine.)

If there is something the Model X with AP 2.0 does today that you need, and your P85 with AP 1.0 does not do, then by all means get it. Currently, the X has falcon-wing doors and plenty of headroom which make it easier for passengers (especially older folks) to get in and out. That's an advantage. It also has AP 2.0 hardware, which is expected to be more capable than 1.0 eventually, although it's unclear whether the software has yet caught up to 1.0 functionality. That's a potential advantage in the future.

As we've seen the past few years, change happens constantly, but October seems to be a time when major changes get announced. You could end up kicking yourself if you miss out on Full Mars Pilot Mode or whatever is next to come along. :)