Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I full ppf my new white model y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully taking delivery next month. Did you get this the front and tint done in SD? If so, where? Any recommendations for type of tint, percentage, and PPF?
I got my MYLR done last month, went with 70 on the windshield and 30 (Llmar FormulaOne Pinnacle) for all the windows and trunk. Anything darker than 30 might be difficult to see at night. I went with Xpel clear bra only and not PPF the whole car, since the front bummer is a magnet for bugs and rocks. The cleaning was super easy, hose it and clean with microfiber towel.

Reactions: JP0430
I got my MYLR done last month, went with 70 on the windshield and 30 (Llmar FormulaOne Pinnacle) for all the windows and trunk. Anything darker than 30 might be difficult to see at night. I went with Xpel clear bra only and not PPF the whole car, since the front bummer is a magnet for bugs and rocks. The cleaning was super easy, hose it and clean with microfiber towel.
Thanks!

Who did you go through in SD? What did it cost?

Thanks!

Who did you go through in SD? What did it cost?
I went with Monumental Workx. Check their website for special discount like the PPF and tint combination. My recommendation is to get several quotes from several vendors for the same tint and PPF brand and compare them. Overall, Monumental Workx was about $150 cheaper than others, and they are highly recommended from this site and reddit.

Just got my white Tesla y fully wrapped with stealth xpel, also did it with window tinting and ceramic coating. I paid roughy 7k in total. I did call around the east Bay Area and surrounding areas and got quoted anywhere from 7k - 9k for the same type of work and materials. Honestly, if you can find a reputable auto body that is willing to do a full xpel wrap around 5-5.5k then you got a pretty great deal in CA anyways. It’s a hard pill to shallow, but hey, i do plan to keep the car for a long time and it does me some peace of mind so I hope it will be worth it in the long run.

I'm probably in the minority camp here but I think most PPF (especially full) is a complete waste. I'd rather save the $$ for actual functional upgrades (suspension, wheels/tires, acceleration boost, big brake kit, etc...). If the front of my MYLR gets enough rock chips, I'll have the front bumper and quarters resprayed, but then again I have access to my friend's body shop that is a certified Merc/Rolls/McLaren/Bugatti etc... repair facility that is cleaner than a NASA facility.

I had initially set my mind on getting front PPF professionally installed before the delivery of my MYP but changed my mind when the shop raised its price by $300 in the span of 3 months. At that point and taking into account that I would need to uber to the shop and back on top of not having the car for 3 days, I decided to install the PPF myself after watching countless YouTube videos.

So I picked up a partial front 3M PPF kit from a local member and spent a solid 4 days installing it. I must say I'm quite surprised at how well the first time install went especially for a first timer doing it solo. It by no means compares to a professional installation but I can live with the unnoticeable minor imperfections in view of the savings, which I can now put towards professional tint installation!

So my advice here is that if you have the time and PATIENCE to attempt the PPF installation, you should definitely go for it as the savings and the satisfaction from working on your own vehicle utmost rewarding.

Reactions: tangible1
The first time you experience washing your car with PPF, you realize how much time you will be saving over the course of your ownership. If your car is ceramic coated on top of your PPF, you will spend eve less time cleaning it. This is my first car with a hydrophobic coated PPF and i do not think i will ever 'NOT' get PPF again on a new car that i plan on keeping for a while. Dirt just washes off effortlessly.

Reactions: eman2021
Yeah. Definitely the minority camp.. More so for the access to the top quality body shop than the PPF choice though. :)
I'm probably in the minority camp here but I think most PPF (especially full) is a complete waste. I'd rather save the $$ for actual functional upgrades (suspension, wheels/tires, acceleration boost, big brake kit, etc...). If the front of my MYLR gets enough rock chips, I'll have the front bumper and quarters resprayed, but then again I have access to my friend's body shop that is a certified Merc/Rolls/McLaren/Bugatti etc... repair facility that is cleaner than a NASA facility.

Yeah. Definitely the minority camp.. More so for the access to the top quality body shop than the PPF choice though. :)
Touché. One complication is my friend's shop (Sterling Collision in Tustin, CA) did stop working on Teslas a year or two ago due to the extreme unreliability of parts availability. They got to keep all the Tesla provided tools and he did say he would make an exception for my car :cool:. Hopefully in the future they will start working on all Tesla's again - but they do a lot of other EV's. I was there the other day and they had a couple Mach-E's disassembled for frontal collision work.

Touché. One complication is my friend's shop (Sterling Collision in Tustin, CA) did stop working on Teslas a year or two ago due to the extreme unreliability of parts availability. They got to keep all the Tesla provided tools and he did say he would make an exception for my car :cool:. Hopefully in the future they will start working on all Tesla's again - but they do a lot of other EV's. I was there the other day and they had a couple Mach-E's disassembled for frontal collision work.
Thats one thing I am nervous about once I recieve mine in a few weeks (fingers crossed). I dont know any good shops around SD. I moved to SD from North Carolina (where I knew every shop, and which ones knew what they were doing and which ones would over charge for everything). I need to find shops that actually do work on Tesla's (not just mechanical-since there isnt too much to do), but good Tesla Custom shops, compared to the shops that that want your money and not concerned if they do a half-assed job.

Thats one thing I am nervous about once I recieve mine in a few weeks (fingers crossed). I dont know any good shops around SD. I moved to SD from North Carolina (where I knew every shop, and which ones knew what they were doing and which ones would over charge for everything). I need to find shops that actually do work on Tesla's (not just mechanical-since there isnt too much to do), but good Tesla Custom shops, compared to the shops that that want your money and not concerned if they do a half-assed job.
Go to the socal section of TMC...plenty of good folks over there willing to help!

Thanks.
New topic, is that the stock paint or something else on your profile pic? I LOVE that color. I ordered MSM, but yours looks more matte in the photo.
As @eman2021 pointed out...Its full STEK PPF in Satin.

1645230737202.jpeg

1645230795024.jpeg

I mainly went with STEK Satin-Matte PPF because it was already hydrophobic treated and thus ceramic coating was not needed. My installer does high end cars and he went from using XPEL to STEK exclusively. Price wise, they are similar with a 10 year warranty.

1645231193180.png

check in with the Porsche Club of America guys in SD. Solid group. Many are also Tesla owners.

I highly recommend full Front PPF. IF you hate rock chips and want to protect your cars finish, it‘s the way to go.
I drove my last car 200,000 miles and it had no front paint chips.

The “re-spray” camp is silly. Nobody really does it and if they do, the paint still gets chipped before and after the respray. anyway. What a waste.

PPF protects and maintains showroom finish from beginning to end.

Reactions: eman2021
I highly recommend full Front PPF. IF you hate rock chips and want to protect your cars finish, it‘s the way to go.
I drove my last car 200,000 miles and it had no front paint chips.

The “re-spray” camp is silly. Nobody really does it and if they do, the paint still gets chipped before and after the respray. anyway. What a waste.

PPF protects and maintains showroom finish from beginning to end.
Full front PPF is like $1900 where I am. If on a budget do you guys recommend just front bumper? Hood? What is the bare minimum?