Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a 90D instead of 75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend and I both did the same drive across Kansas this week. I have a 90D and he has a 60D. I was able to do 77 to 80 mph for the 150 miles between the Hays and Goodland Superchargers. I arrived with about 60 miles remaining. He had to limp along at 55 mph at times and arrived with only 6 miles remaining. I only had to charge about 20 minutes in Goodland but I think he needed a full charge to make it to the next Supercharger. Fortunately they are planning on adding another Supercharger that would make the trip easier for those with smaller capacity batteries. I'll have to ask if he'll be upgrading to 75 kWh once he gets his tax refunds next year.

Your trip sounds typical of what I'd expect at speed. His as described seems implausible - 150 miles at 55 and only 6 miles remaining from a full charge?!?

Your trip would appear to have used about 230 rated miles to cover 150 miles at 77-80 mph - but his used 212 miles at 55? If the conditions are truly the same, he shouldn't have had to slow down more than 5 mph from your trip to get the result described. There's got to be something missing in the reported data.

As you noted, 150 miles is a very long hop for the network - I've only had one that was longer, 174 miles from Wytheville to Asheville, and honestly even the 133 miles from Somerset to Harrisburg feels unnaturally long.

I have the 75d and I regret not buying the 90d. The reason is that I usually go to houston which is a two hour drive. Right now I have to charge twice before coming home on my day trips. I think with the 90d I could have gotten away with one charge.

Your trip sounds typical of what I'd expect at speed. His as described seems implausible - 150 miles at 55 and only 6 miles remaining from a full charge?!?

Your trip would appear to have used about 230 rated miles to cover 150 miles at 77-80 mph - but his used 212 miles at 55? If the conditions are truly the same, he shouldn't have had to slow down more than 5 mph from your trip to get the result described. There's got to be something missing in the reported data.

As you noted, 150 miles is a very long hop for the network - I've only had one that was longer, 174 miles from Wytheville to Asheville, and honestly even the 133 miles from Somerset to Harrisburg feels unnaturally long.
I said "55 at times", not for the entire trip. Basically, I had no worry about range but he had to really slow down in order to drive the same route. We did drive on different days (Monday for me, Thursday for him) so there could've been other factors involved as well. I know it was very windy on Monday when I drove back. Also, I don't know how full of a charge he had when leaving Hays. I wrote that he would be doing a full charge in Goodland (not Hays) since he didn't want to have to worry again during the stretch between Goodland and Limon.

If you read other threads, you'll see that this stretch is notorious for high winds and some in 85s have reported it being a difficult drive. They are planning on adding a Supercharger in Colby (only shortening the gap by 30 miles or so) but that will make it easier for those with smaller batteries. Anyhow, I never had to drive below 75.

Actually, I just read his text message again and he wrote "I pulled into Goodland with 7 miles to spare...Wow there needs to be another SC between Hays and Goodland. Thankfully, I won't likely take 70 again." When asked about having to reduce speed, he wrote "Oh yes, I was down to 55 at one point." Also in Goodland, he wrote "Hopefully the Limon stretch isn't as bad. I'm going to get a full charge to 220 before I leave here."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wesley888
The only reason opposes me is that my wife and my mom and my dead are going to kill me, for they are already unhappy now.
Well, and $140 more monthly loan.
In the first glance, $10,000 for the

Deadline to make the change: Jan 2nd.
Pros:
1. Confidence on road trip. 20 miles range left when arriving on a SC is much less anxious than arriving with 5 miles left
2. Higher charge speed at SC
3. Higher driving speed with confidence because more range
4. Longer battery life. As others suggested before, 8 years later the battery degrades to 90%. That is 231.3 mile for the 90D, while 213 miles on 75D. That 213 range is not very useful. Maybe not able to complete some road trip without annoying super long charge time.
5. Spontaneous trip: for some trip you might need 75D to be 100% charged, and with 90D you might be able to go with whatever range you have after coming back from the office.
6. Higher acceleration: might not ever really be used, but for occasionally showing off 4.8 sec is much better than 75D's 0-60 in 6 sec. And since you own a Model X, people might come to you and nudge you to show off quite often.

PS. Do you guys think the $3300 interior upgrade worth it? I already add PUP but that's mainly for the HEPA and the ventilated chair.

Hey @Quesder!

My X75 was delivered on 12/27/2016 and I'm learning quite a bit. My commute is 105 miles roundtrip work to home. I'm finding I am having a lot of range anxiety once I get below 100 miles of range.I'm not going to say I regret not getting a battery with more range quite yet. I hope my anxiety will become my new normal and this may just be part of the Tesla learning curve. WIth a non-EV car, I drive until close to empty then fill up, so I have to adjust my threshold with the X75. Before becoming an owner, the 10K price increase seemed a bit much.

Three days into owning, I say if you can swing the finances, get the X90. This may change as I get used to my new normal (I sure hope so!).

Reactions: wesley888
I said "55 at times", not for the entire trip. Basically, I had no worry about range but he had to really slow down in order to drive the same route. We did drive on different days (Monday for me, Thursday for him) so there could've been other factors involved as well. I know it was very windy on Monday when I drove back. Also, I don't know how full of a charge he had when leaving Hays. I wrote that he would be doing a full charge in Goodland (not Hays) since he didn't want to have to worry again during the stretch between Goodland and Limon.

If you read other threads, you'll see that this stretch is notorious for high winds and some in 85s have reported it being a difficult drive. They are planning on adding a Supercharger in Colby (only shortening the gap by 30 miles or so) but that will make it easier for those with smaller batteries. Anyhow, I never had to drive below 75.

Actually, I just read his text message again and he wrote "I pulled into Goodland with 7 miles to spare...Wow there needs to be another SC between Hays and Goodland. Thankfully, I won't likely take 70 again." When asked about having to reduce speed, he wrote "Oh yes, I was down to 55 at one point." Also in Goodland, he wrote "Hopefully the Limon stretch isn't as bad. I'm going to get a full charge to 220 before I leave here."
Excuse me, but are you talking about Model X or S?

... I'm finding I am having a lot of range anxiety once I get below 100 miles of range.

Noticed this with my 60 S too. Four years later and I've never actually gone under 20 miles remaining, so I wonder if getting the extra miles of an 85 would have simply meant 50 or so miles unused, and a larger hole in the bank!

One thing that can provide anxiety succor is changing the
battery display to show percentage rather than distance remaining.

Noticed this with my 60 S too. Four years later and I've never actually gone under 20 miles remaining, so I wonder if getting the extra miles of an 85 would have simply meant 50 or so miles unused, and a larger hole in the bank!

Buying my Tesla was a big financial decision, but there was no doubt that I wanted Supercharging and the largest battery. Back than the difference was $8000. In the last 3 years I have needed the full capacity of my battery many many times. Many trips would not have been possible with a 60. But also, I would have spent much more time at Superchargers. Charging the last 20% takes 40 min. With a 60 I would have had to charge near to 100% many many times.

Reactions: vrykolas

One thing that can provide anxiety succor is changing the
battery display to show percentage rather than distance remaining.

@DriverOne I've toggled between percentage and miles. I find myself going back to miles to estimate my roundtrips. But my range anxiety is waning as time goes on!

You guys should watch that youtube Euro Model S drive some 10+ miles under 0. That made me feel better about low range numbers, although I don't go looking for trouble myself. I will say I am quite happy with my X75 after a trip from DC to Chicago and back. I was able to skip a couple SCs, but it was early Fall, so might have needed those in Winter. While I agree with the get the most range idea, my problem here is it's 20 miles for $10K. If the 100D were available, then I would probably splurge for that with 50/60+ miles added.

Reactions: Saghost
@gangzoom --- I'm happy to report my range anxiety is waning as I go under 100 miles!

It takes getting use to but living with a limited range EV like the Leaf is good training. Yesterday with the weather been cold, dark, a bit wet lots of start/stop traffic the Leaf used up 30% charge in less than 15 miles!!! But these days I really don't worry, daily commute /max is normally only 20-30 miles so as long as I plug the thing in at night I have no worries.

You guys should watch that youtube Euro Model S drive some 10+ miles under 0. That made me feel better about low range numbers, although I don't go looking for trouble myself. I will say I am quite happy with my X75 after a trip from DC to Chicago and back. I was able to skip a couple SCs, but it was early Fall, so might have needed those in Winter. While I agree with the get the most range idea, my problem here is it's 20 miles for $10K. If the 100D were available, then I would probably splurge for that with 50/60+ miles added.

Exactly. I tried to express similar sentiments further up the thread.

The number of occasions when those twenty miles at the end of two hundred some odd miles will matter seem small.

Supercharging fourteen percent faster is a factor I hadn't really considered and a clear benefit, but on most road trips I'm not really waiting for the car even with the slower rates anyway.

Buying my Tesla was a big financial decision, but there was no doubt that I wanted Supercharging and the largest battery. Back than the difference was $8000. In the last 3 years I have needed the full capacity of my battery many many times. Many trips would not have been possible with a 60. But also, I would have spent much more time at Superchargers. Charging the last 20% takes 40 min. With a 60 I would have had to charge near to 100% many many times.
wrong! charging a 2015 TMS 60 takes 50min from 5 to 100%. TMS 60 are TMS75 software limited...so you charge the battery to only 80% (75*80%=60kw). TMS 60 is a very interesting option if you compare to a 90 : price difference is huge.