Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a new Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my model X since mid 2017 and I absolutely love it. I'm a big Tesla fanboy now and try and keep as up to date on everything as possible. That being said, the only thing that can't stay fully up to date is my car, because it is running HW2/2.5 and MCU1. I know Elon has said HW3 upgrades are coming and that he has also hinted at MCU upgrades, but I'm wondering if it's worth it or not to trade in my current X and get a new model X with HW3, MCU 2, and raven. I guess my real question is, is this in anyones knowledge/guesses likely to happen again in three years? I assume that the major updates being worked on mean they are pretty happy with the set up and aren't likely to change it, but who knows! Thanks.

Reactions: Ryshaw
I've had my model X since mid 2017 and I absolutely love it. I'm a big Tesla fanboy now and try and keep as up to date on everything as possible. That being said, the only thing that can't stay fully up to date is my car, because it is running HW2/2.5 and MCU1. I know Elon has said HW3 upgrades are coming and that he has also hinted at MCU upgrades, but I'm wondering if it's worth it or not to trade in my current X and get a new model X with HW3, MCU 2, and raven. I guess my real question is, is this in anyones knowledge/guesses likely to happen again in three years? I assume that the major updates being worked on mean they are pretty happy with the set up and aren't likely to change it, but who knows! Thanks.

Other than new gadgets, do you see actual requirements such as changing the seating configuration or getting a bigger battery pack?

Everyone's viewpoint differs but I personally think the current changes are "nice" to have vs "must" have.

The final form of the X that I would personally like to upgrade to is:

Landscape screen
Better battery chemistry
Revamped interior

When/IF those things happen, no one really knows.

Reactions: ALLMYNE
I have a June 2017 X 100D with MCU1 and AP2.0 -- (my first X P90DL had a deer issue)
If money doesn't matter then upgrade otherwise wait and enjoy what you have. My uses cases allows my X to work excellent. AP 95% of the time, I'd say around the suburbs and on roadtrips.

I’m debating the same thing. I have an April 2017 75D MX with FSD and UFSC, and I too would ultimately like to upgrade to a newer model to take advantage of the multitude of updates that have occurred since I bought the vehicle, and to also get a larger battery, as my driving needs have changed over the past few months with a new job. That all being said, here’s what I’m waiting for to make the move.

First, there will be battery improvements implemented on the S and X over the next year or so that should boost overall mileage by at least another 15%, and potentially more. If I can get an X that’s capable of close to 400 miles, that’s a game changer, and is the big piece that will help to push me towards upgrading. I’ve read an article recently where an expert thought that the same battery pack from the CyberTruck will be used in X over the next couple years, which could mean 500 miles of range over the next 2-3 years, but is just speculative. The second piece that I’d like to see happen that may be wishful thinking would be to provide the ability for those of us who invested in FSD as early adopters (and still have basically nothing to show for it) to have some sort of path to transferring our FSD “license” to another vehicle, and not having to pay a premium for software that will finally be usable, but only on vehicles with HW3, or HW4.

There are several other little things that would be nice to haves (interior refresh, ventilated seats, etc.) that would be nice as well, but unfortunately there generally isn’t any rhyme or reason to how Tesla releases updates, upgrades, or even downgrades (option rollbacks), so it’s hard to predict when any of these things will happen, which is why I’ve narrowed it down to battery and FSD transfer, with a significantly heavier weighting on the Battery and range side of the equation.

Look forward to hearing where you land, and I’ll come back an post an update should my thinking change as well, as it seems like we’re in the same boat.

We have a 2017 S 100D with AP2 and MCU1 - and are getting few of the new features present in each release. While Musk has indicated we should be getting the new AP processor, we haven't received anything official from Tesla so far about that - so we're still waiting - until then, features like the latest "FSD pre-view" won't be available on our 2017 S, which had FSD purchased with the vehicle. And with the MCU1, we're also missing many of the non-AP features. If Tesla offered us an MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, we'd seriously consider a reasonably priced upgrade to get access to all of the features now present only on MCU1 vehicles.

Our 2018 X 100D has MCU2, so it gets the non-AP new features - but is also missing out on the latest FSD features - and have not received any notification from Tesla about when they'll provide the AP processor upgrade.

There will likely be some major changes coming to S/X in the next 12 months. We're likely to see a new (and higher capacity) battery pack capable of full V3 supercharging - along with other changes (which could primarily be to reduce manufacturing costs).

And it's possible (likely) Tesla will continue to tweak the AP sensors and processors - so an AP 3.5 or AP 4 is entirely possible. Until Tesla has FSD fully working, we shouldn't be surprised to see additional hardware changes.

While Tesla has promised software updates for the life of the vehicles, what's disappointing is that vehicles that are 1 or 2 years old are already missing out on new features. It's understandable that features requiring specific hardware or vehicle options would be restricted to specific configurations. However, it appears Tesla has made the decision to limit how many software features they will support on the older processors.

MCU1 should have enough horsepower to run the games and video streaming apps while the vehicle is parked and the processor isn't doing anything else. The lack of those features on MCU1 indicates Tesla probably didn't design MCU1 and MCU2 to make it easy for those platforms to share source code.

Same is true between the AP2/AP3 processors. Surely detecting street signs doesn't require the much greater processing capability of the new AP processor - the lack of those features on the AP2 processor is more likely a software restriction - because they aren't using shared source code between the two generations of the processors.

So Tesla appears to be shifting closer to the model used by the other manufacturers with an increasing number of features going only to the newest vehicles, and creating the situation where recent owners (of vehicles that are only 1 or 2 years old) may have to purchase a new vehicle in order to get the latest software features. That's new for Tesla - and not something earlier owners faced...

Raven P July 2019 here. First Tesla owner. If I could go back I’d wait another year and see how the plaid variant is and what kind of battery to support the third motor. Battery day will prob address everything moving forward.

on another note the MX is amazing and I’m sure early adapters wouldn’t trade that feeling. I say enjoy the current X and hold on one more year for the polished 2021 MX late 2020

Christmas present to self, perhaps? :p

Just remember that in 1 year the new model x will be outdated.

I really struggle with the logic swapping out of a $100k car for the sake of Netflix/games which any $200 Android tablet will run better than MCU 2.

Range is a different issue, and depends on what your personal needs are.

We all want the best, but the $$$$ simply don't make any sense if your swapping simply for infotainment system.

Here in the UK I paid £75k for our 75D X, the car has done 40k miles in coming up to 3 years. Depreciation has actually been amazingly low for a £75k car, even so to swap into a brand new X is a crazy sum.

£97k is current UK price for 6 seater with FSD, our X will sell for about £50k, so nearly £50k spend to essentially get MCU2 and about 80 miles more real life range, unless your swimming in money thats madness. For the same amount of spend you buy a whole new Model 3!!

Tesla have already said AP 4.0 Hardware is been developed, and the Cybertruck is clearly running MCU 3.0, so by 2021 a 2020 X will be 'out dated'. If you must have the latest and best, be prepare to do the same again in another 2-3 years.....so you can easily spend £150-170k in just 6 years, which is price of a reasonable house in most parts of England!!!

If your current car is doing everything well, than swapping it doesn't make much financial sense. If you can afford it than it doesnt matter, in which case go for it, not at all envious:)

" I say enjoy the current X and hold on one more year for the polished 2021 MX late 2020"
Good advice.....unless it's not.
Those that have been around awhile can attest to the unpredictability of new hardware and refreshes.
When I leased a Model S a few years ago, I had no doubt there would be an improved model at end of lease. There wasn't.
So I extended the lease for 6 months feeling confident that I had just undershot the changes coming by a bit.
Long story short, 6 months later I purchased almost the Exact car I turned in on lease. Things were a tad smoother in the new one, and more refined but lost my retractable roof and free supercharging.

Raven P July 2019 here. First Tesla owner. If I could go back I’d wait another year and see how the plaid variant is and what kind of battery to support the third motor. Battery day will prob address everything moving forward.

on another note the MX is amazing and I’m sure early adapters wouldn’t trade that feeling. I say enjoy the current X and hold on one more year for the polished 2021 MX late 2020
Plaid S is late next year at best, I think x is probably a year after that but can't say for sure.

If range is important and you can afford it, go for it. Otherwise, it just trivial stuff. Wait for a functional FSD. I wouldn't be surprised that along with a HW3 (which may need HW3.1) there will be other hardware improvements such as ultrasonics, cameras, etc.

At Tesla's pace of innovation, a new X will surely have something significant outdated in another year, even if the plaid variant is late. With that said, the X has seen a lot of improvements with today's model vs 2017. You mentioned HW3 and MCU2, but the Raven suspension and powertrain are also significant upgrades, and the price has dropped significantly, as well. If the new goodies are important to you, I'd at least consider the jump. Especially if you can track down an end-of-year special.

Hello everybody. This is my first post!

I have a similar question as JoJoV111. I do NOT have a Tesla (driving a 2014 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with 130K miles on it). I am seriously considering a new Raven 5 seater Tesla Model X (Long Range).

If you were in my shoes (I am REALLY tired of my Tundra; it runs great but is HUGE and gets terrible gas mileage), would you pull the trigger on what I'm contemplating above? Or should I want for the "next best thing" from Tesla? I have a deposit down on a Taycan, Rivian, and CyberTruck but have pretty much ruled all of them out for a variety of reasons. The Model X just seems like a "real / solid" car, whereas the Rivian, Taycan, and CyberTruck are all pretty much either vaporware or have serious drawbacks (hello 201 mile range, Taycan).

Need some advice!

To me it is a cost issue. If your priority is AP, then buying a late 16 and up with FSD purchased sounds very good. It would cost $30,000 just to get the latest AP. This assumes Elon will hold to his word and honor the FSD purchase upgrades. I really don't see it as much of a risk though.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
I’m somewhat a Tesla fan so keep that in mind, I love my Model x. I also have a 2013 Model s and would have a all electric pickup if there was something out there that was under $50k. My F-150 has 130,000 and would love to dump it.
Also having the Tesla supercharger network is a big advantage.

Thanks doghousePVD. I am strongly leaning towards pulling the trigger.

Does anyone know anything about the current Raven's that is "problematic"?

I plan on getting the dark blue with cream interior, and the normal 20" rims. Then doing a PPF on the front, a chrome delete, and probably a ceramic coating. Maybe something to darken the rims without going 22" (if the place doing the ceramic delete does it).

Just sharing those details in case anyone's had problems with that configuration...

I have a similar question as JoJoV111. I do NOT have a Tesla (driving a 2014 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with 130K miles on it). I am seriously considering a new Raven 5 seater Tesla Model X (Long Range).

If you were in my shoes (I am REALLY tired of my Tundra; it runs great but is HUGE and gets terrible gas mileage), would you pull the trigger on what I'm contemplating above?

Keeping in mind that I own a Raven X and love it, my advice is...

giphy.gif

YOLO.

Also, welcome.

Finally, if you are really contemplating the purchase soon, I would recommend checking with your local gallery. There may be an inventory/demo unit available for end-of-year availability. Would get you the tax credit, and often Tesla places some minor incentives on the vehicles in order to clear out for the end of the quarter.

Keeping in mind that I own a Raven X and love it, my advice is...

giphy.gif

YOLO.

Also, welcome.

Finally, if you are really contemplating the purchase soon, I would recommend checking with your local gallery. There may be an inventory/demo unit available for end-of-year availability. Would get you the tax credit, and often Tesla places some minor incentives on the vehicles in order to clear out for the end of the quarter.

Oh really? I did not know that. Thanks Zaxxon! I will call 'em up...