Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get delivery in June or July?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered a new 60D on Saturday. Excited to get into the car. West coast delivered are currently expected in June. But I also see I can select July as a delivery date.

Question: Although I'd be excited to get the car earlier rather than later, might I be better off pushing the delivery to July? My thoughts are really around end of quarter quality. Seems from antidotal reading here that the last few weeks of the quarter are a rush to get the cars built and delivered to meet quarterly numbers. From what I also understand, California (and maybe other West Coast) cars are typically built "last" in the quarter because it takes less time to deliver them. Thus it would seem to follow that California cars being built at the end of the quarter (June in this case) could be most susceptible to quality issues.

If I were to (painfully!) defer to July, could that mean that my car might get built at the beginning of the quarter (early July) instead of at the end of June? Or might they still build the car in mid to late June and then just hold it for 2-4 weeks before delivery (in which case I wouldn't have achieved anything except denying myself 2-4 weeks with the car)?

...end of quarter quality...

You are talking to a habitual end-of-quarter Tesla buyer :)

My first was Model S 85 just right in time before Christmas of 2012. It was perfect quality.

My second was my current Model X 100D on 3/30/2017 with perfect quality.

Statistically, I have never won any card games, prizes or lotteries so how could I be lucky twice with Tesla?

If only a numbers game, Tesla could still build your car, add it to its quarterly build count and classify it as in transit for QE reporting. Or, you could try to time it for the beginning of the next quarter, when the rush is on to crank out all the overseas production for the quarter, to allow for ample shipping time. Or, you could try to time it when all-hands are on the M3 deck, and the summer interns are.running the MS and MX production lines. :eek:

In other words, just order your car to serve your timing, not Tesla's.

Reactions: Tam
Look at the spreadsheet for deliveries to see how things panned out for previous Calif deliveries for this year so far but with the M3 coming into production soon hard to say how applicable that will be for your delivery timeframe. They did add another shift since last year and cars have been completed faster from what I saw. We ordered ours 12/31 and being Calif were given a March-April delivery date originally. Took a while to go into production although materials I think were set aside early on. Our delivery date then got moved up to "mid-March to late-March" at some point. On 3/2 we got email and call next day from our DS that our car had gone into production so to finish up paperwork. Car was out of production on 3/6 and prepped for deliver center pickup on the peninsula (our choice over factory). Figured the guys there would give it a second looking over for anything that needed correcting before we picked up. We didn't pick up until 3/17 but only because hubby had a tight schedule at work that week or we would have had it sooner. Not sure if that helps you. I do think battery size will also influence when your car goes into production.

Waiting that week we knew it was sitting there waiting for us was a bit frustrating. Not sure I could postpone pick up myself. We did have a bad charger port in the car that needed replacing (went red even before inserting the wand, SvC was able to reproduce it a few times so an intermittent issue but promptly fixed, happy with service center handling of it). Don't think that had anything to do with being end of quarter though, just a defective unit. Everything has been fine since and love having it.