Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I keep my SR+ order, or Re lease another BMW 330?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK so yesterday I test drove the 2021 BMW 330x and it was of course, very very smooth. I'm really 50:50 on this since the only reason I'd go with Tesla is for financial reasons since the government rebates is a huge $8K cheque. The Tesla M3 SR+ payments are higher but factor in the government rebates, and technically they come lower than the 2021 BMW 330x.

The 330x 2021 as mentioned in my above posts is 100$ more a month. See attached for the photo. It's a slick looking car and has the AWD and fog lights, which the M3 SR+ doesn't have. The BMW also comes equipped with a much better sound speaker system than the M3 SR+. There's no range anxiety and it's a beast during winter as I had no issues with my 2018 330xi model. I KNOW the 2021 BMW 330xi is the better car than the SR+, you can't deny it.

HOWEVER, I would be saving on gas by going fully electric and its environmental friendly. I must take into account the EV charger installation and procurement, which will be out of pocket at least $2000 given my current condominium setup and likely the government will stop writing these massive cheques as every car make goes all-in EV.

So last call boys and girls, preferably from Eastern Canada/USA owners with same model. Did you end up regretting it? This would be only car and don't have a second one.

Attachments

• 20210831_184819.jpg
    20210831_184819.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
OK so yesterday I test drove the 2021 BMW 330x and it was of course, very very smooth. I'm really 50:50 on this since the only reason I'd go with Tesla is for financial reasons since the government rebates is a huge $8K cheque. The Tesla M3 SR+ payments are higher but factor in the government rebates, and technically they come lower than the 2021 BMW 330x.

The 330x 2021 as mentioned in my above posts is 100$ more a month. See attached for the photo. It's a slick looking car and has the AWD and fog lights, which the M3 SR+ doesn't have. The BMW also comes equipped with a much better sound speaker system than the M3 SR+. There's no range anxiety and it's a beast during winter as I had no issues with my 2018 330xi model. I KNOW the 2021 BMW 330xi is the better car than the SR+, you can't deny it.

HOWEVER, I would be saving on gas by going fully electric and its environmental friendly. I must take into account the EV charger installation and procurement, which will be out of pocket at least $2000 given my current condominium setup and likely the government will stop writing these massive cheques as every car make goes all-in EV.

So last call boys and girls, preferably from Eastern Canada/USA owners with same model. Did you end up regretting it? This would be only car and don't have a second one.

I think the BMW will make you happier even though its more expensive. The BMW has nicer amenities for sure and given the parity in price, its the car you should get. The only disagreement is the sound system which is better in the Model 3. The Model 3 premium sound system has gotten great reviews and is considered one of the best in class. The Harmon Kardon hasn't gotten great reviews in the 3 series...just go do a little searching on the web and read about it. I also think the AWD LR is the much better buy in the Model 3 and RWD only in winter is a major minus.

I think the BMW will make you happier even though its more expensive. The BMW has nicer amenities for sure and given the parity in price, its the car you should get. The only disagreement is the sound system which is better in the Model 3. The Model 3 premium sound system has gotten great reviews and is considered one of the best in class. The Harmon Kardon hasn't gotten great reviews in the 3 series...just go do a little searching on the web and read about it. I also think the AWD LR is the much better buy in the Model 3 and RWD only in winter is a major minus.
I thought only the LR came with the premium sound and not the SR+.

Also, does anyone have the 2021 M3 SR+ with heatpump. I visited the Tesla dealership yesterday and the representative said that it lowers the winter range by by 25% instead of 50%, as the case with older M3 models. Now, he's a disguised salesman but is that true? How effective is this heatpump in preserving range?

I thought only the LR came with the premium sound and not the SR+.

Also, does anyone have the 2021 M3 SR+ with heatpump. I visited the Tesla dealership yesterday and the representative said that it lowers the winter range by by 25% instead of 50%, as the case with older M3 models. Now, he's a disguised salesman but is that true? How effective is this heatpump in preserving range?

The heat pump is much more efficient. Bjorn did a test in the link below.

Edit: I also didn't realize that SR+ didn't come with the premium sound. My mistake.

I said a long time ago in this thread that you should get the BMW. Nothing that you have posted in this thread changes my opinion that for you, thats what you want. It seems like for some reason you are either "chasing a goverment check (cheque)" or feel some environmental responsibility to get the tesla. You dont want the model 3, you think you should be getting it, but you dont want it.

Get the car you OBVIOUSLY want, which is the BMW.

Haha I was just watching this video. Now, not to sound annoying, the test wasn't performed in extreme cold weather like -15C and above. Sad reality here in Quebec.

Yeah...thats pretty cold. Use to live near Chicago and that type of weather is pretty brutal. You'd probably wouldn't realize the full benefit of the heat pump in those temps. Right now, EVs in that type of temp aren't very efficient. If this is your only car, I wouldn't get an EV in those types of temps.

It's clear that you have you heart set on the 330x, so definitely just do that.

You keep talking about the money savings from the Model 3, but your decisions here demonstrate that you either don't have the slightest clue about investing and managing your finances, or you just don't care. Leasing any car is the worst possible financial decision you can make. Perfectly OK as long as you are fully aware that this is just throwing the money away. Incentives, either corporate or governmental don't change that.

Reactions: WhiteWi
It's clear that you have you heart set on the 330x, so definitely just do that.

You keep talking about the money savings from the Model 3, but your decisions here demonstrate that you either don't have the slightest clue about investing and managing your finances, or you just don't care. Leasing any car is the worst possible financial decision you can make. Perfectly OK as long as you are fully aware that this is just throwing the money away. Incentives, either corporate or governmental don't change that.
With all due respect, you live in California which is a complete 180 degree opposite compared to Eastern Canada. We get snowstorms and -20C weather. Cars take a massive beating after 3-4 years. I evaluated the buy back on my beemer and it wasn't worth the hastle. Hard to sell cars during pandemic for a quick flip in my area and the financing payments were high due to interest rates. It was cheaper to lease a new car with brand new 2021 upgrades. I disagree that leasing a car is the 'worst financial decision'. Personally, I don't want to own a depreciating asset.

With all due respect, you live in California which is a complete 180 degree opposite compared to Eastern Canada. We get snowstorms and -20C weather. Cars take a massive beating after 3-4 years. I evaluated the buy back on my beemer and it wasn't worth the hastle. Hard to sell cars during pandemic for a quick flip in my area and the financing payments were high due to interest rates. It was cheaper to lease a new car with brand new 2021 upgrades. I disagree that leasing a car is the 'worst financial decision'. Personally, I don't want to own a depreciating asset.

You really need to actually run the numbers. Leasing cars is the absolute worst financial mistake you can make. It's not a matter of opinion, it's fact. Ever other option is superior. Doing a buy-back doesn't make sense, because you already paid for all the depreciation to the leasing company. You think they are taking a bath on the depreciation? No... you are paying for the depreciation as part of your lease. They aren't in business to lose money.

As noted, that's perfectly OK, some people gotta have the newest and shiniest cars, and know it's costing them. It sounds like... you don't get this. Perfectly OK, it's your money. You want to throw it away on leases, that's your call. You don't want to do the homework on the finances, and make up rationalizations, that's fine too.

Also worth noting- you say "Hard to sell cars during pandemic." Absolutely wrong. There is a used car shortage right now that is unbelievable. Used car lots are barren, and used cars have actually appreciated in price in the last year. I could sell my Model 3, right now, for more than I paid for it last year. I did sell my Porsche Boxster for 2x the Kelly Blue Book value, to CarMax. It then sold on the private market for 3x the KBB price.

So again, perfectly OK, but you are making some really egregious financial mistakes, but by all means you do you.

You really need to actually run the numbers. Leasing cars is the absolute worst financial mistake you can make. It's not a matter of opinion, it's fact. Ever other option is superior. Doing a buy-back doesn't make sense, because you already paid for all the depreciation to the leasing company. You think they are taking a bath on the depreciation? No... you are paying for the depreciation as part of your lease. They aren't in business to lose money.

As noted, that's perfectly OK, some people gotta have the newest and shiniest cars, and know it's costing them. It sounds like... you don't get this. Perfectly OK, it's your money. You want to throw it away on leases, that's your call. You don't want to do the homework on the finances, and make up rationalizations, that's fine too.

Also worth noting- you say "Hard to sell cars during pandemic." Absolutely wrong. There is a used car shortage right now that is unbelievable. Used car lots are barren, and used cars have actually appreciated in price in the last year. I could sell my Model 3, right now, for more than I paid for it last year. I did sell my Porsche Boxster for 2x the Kelly Blue Book value, to CarMax. It then sold on the private market for 3x the KBB price.

So again, perfectly OK, but you are making some really egregious financial mistakes, but by all means you do you.

Leasing makes sense if the money factor that you get from the OEM is extremely aggressive. BMWs assume a very very high residual so the lease rates are wonderful. Also, if you can tie the lease to a business expense, its a great tax deduction too. If you also know you won't drive high mileage and you switch cars every 3 years or so, leasing makes perfect sense. So I have to disagree that its the worst financial decision as i've done the calcs myself many times over. There are articles that support leasing too and its the same stuff i talked about.

I believe leasing a Tesla is a terrible decision though as their lease rates are not very good compared to what BMW and Mercedes provide. Audi also has terrible lease rates so leasing certain manufacturers is actually the smarter money play.

There are plenty of other threads for the "lease vs buy" discussion. The most recent one is here:

Please move any further lease vs buy discussion into that thread.

*UPDATE*

I visited the Tesla dealership tonight for another test drive of the model 3 SR+, since last time I drove it was in mid-July. After careful consideration, I've decided to go with...

I thought your original clickbait style thread title was a mistake, but obviously not, as this post here shows. "You wont believe what happens next!" sigh....

Good luck anyway with whatever you choose.

Last update
I went BMW.

After factoring in the upfront cost for EV charger installation and procurement, my actual government rebate trickled down to $3K since the Tesla SR+ payments were 80$ higher than the 2021 BMW 330i xdrive. Since the 2021 BMW Lease term is shorter, it came down literally to a difference of $10 , between both car monthly payments.

BMW has the AWD, heating seats, heated steering wheel, LED FOG lights, android auto and car play, and it's a BMW. I just thought of that cold February night, driving in -16 degrees Celsius weather and it's starts to snow heavily. I don't want to be in a SR+ and have to worry about range and the RWD. Additionally, my driving pattern may change as I will likely have to do long road trips for business travel where I'll just expense the gas. If I lived in a warmer climate, I'd hands down get the SR+.

Last edited:
Sorry guys. I love Tesla but the right model for me is LR AWD and I don't want to spend that money right now. I just purchased a property. For me to even lower my LR AWD payments to like $850 , I have to put like 5K down but i have some big expenses coming up. The BMW Lease is shorter. I'll reevaluate then.

Why are you even apologizing for your choice ?
:)
Because I love the Tesla and it hurts me lol. The LR AWD and SR+ price gap is too big for me right now. Hopefully by the time my BMW Lease is up, Tesla prices go down since there's more competition. Right now, demand is too high. They won't even listen to me for negotiations. They told me to take a walk lol