Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I keep my SR+ order, or Re lease another BMW 330?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what you want, right? Run errands, come back. Plug. rinse repeat. I always want to leave my house at 100%.

You definitely DON"T want to leave your house at 100% - keeping the battery at 100% for long periods is terrible for degradation, and with the amount you drive, it'd be there all of the time.

My retired parents have a Model 3 LR RWD, and they drive slightly less than you - it was a bit more pre-COVID, a bit less now. They keep it garaged, and charge up about once every 3-4 weeks from typically 30% to 80%. In between drives, there's very little standby losses (<1% per day). Less than 9000 miles total over three years.

From that, I would say you're fine with just the supercharger. You really don't need ANY charging at home, maybe could do occasional 120V charging IF there's a convenient outlet nearby, but I wouldn't spend $1000-2000 to install any 120V or 240V outlet. With a supercharger only 5 km away, you'd be fine to visit the supercharger once every 2-3 weeks when running errands, and can charge up from 20-30% to 80% in 20-30 minutes or less. In fact you also DON"T want to supercharge to 100% because that last bit from 80% to 100% goes really slow, and would double or triple the supercharging time. And visiting the supercharger EVERY trip to top it up to 100% would be really, really slow at the top end of the battery, and tedious (and again really bad for the battery).

The caveat though is that even though your condo garage sounds like it's indoors and never freezing, it's still relatively cold-soaked for supercharging, and your likely short trips around town won't warm it up much. This can really slow down the supercharging rate and make it take longer. Even 70 deg F would be "cold" and trigger battery heating when starting supercharging - on Model 3, I'm not sure how much that slows down the initial supercharging rate, but on my Model S it can take 10 minutes before the battery heater turns off if supercharging "cold".

You are asking on a Tesla forum, if you should stick with BMWs?
The answer will be shocking predictable.

Same shockingly predictable (but opposite) outcome will be achieved by asking for similar advice on a BMW forum.

I will just say this - if you are like all my Canuck friends, you want an AWD vehicle.
In that case, Model 3 SR+ is a wrong model for you. Consider shopping for a Model 3 AWD, and repeat your analysis from there.

Financially, the answer will be self-evident.
Subjectively, it may be different.

You definitely DON"T want to leave your house at 100% - keeping the battery at 100% for long periods is terrible for degradation, and with the amount you drive, it'd be there all of the time.

My retired parents have a Model 3 LR RWD, and they drive slightly less than you - it was a bit more pre-COVID, a bit less now. They keep it garaged, and charge up about once every 3-4 weeks from typically 30% to 80%. In between drives, there's very little standby losses (<1% per day). Less than 9000 miles total over three years.

From that, I would say you're fine with just the supercharger. You really don't need ANY charging at home, maybe could do occasional 120V charging IF there's a convenient outlet nearby, but I wouldn't spend $1000-2000 to install any 120V or 240V outlet. With a supercharger only 5 km away, you'd be fine to visit the supercharger once every 2-3 weeks when running errands, and can charge up from 20-30% to 80% in 20-30 minutes or less. In fact you also DON"T want to supercharge to 100% because that last bit from 80% to 100% goes really slow, and would double or triple the supercharging time. And visiting the supercharger EVERY trip to top it up to 100% would be really, really slow at the top end of the battery, and tedious (and again really bad for the battery).

The caveat though is that even though your condo garage sounds like it's indoors and never freezing, it's still relatively cold-soaked for supercharging, and your likely short trips around town won't warm it up much. This can really slow down the supercharging rate and make it take longer. Even 70 deg F would be "cold" and trigger battery heating when starting supercharging - on Model 3, I'm not sure how much that slows down the initial supercharging rate, but on my Model S it can take 10 minutes before the battery heater turns off if supercharging "cold".
Also to add, the indoor garage is heated. My understanding is that with my battery at 100%, even with the charger plugged in, the TESLA will stop charging correct? In that case, it wouldn't degradate as much?

I am just worried about the winter months and vampire drain effects, that if I go with no charger at home, I'll always be on low battery and have to make those necessary stops to supercharge after leaving my house. Also, it doesn't seem that you are in actual weather climate (like 7-10 cm of snow and -20 C weather) so given your parents situation and mine, are different IMO.

Last edited:
You are asking on a Tesla forum, if you should stick with BMWs?
The answer will be shocking predictable.

Same shockingly predictable (but opposite) outcome will be achieved by asking for similar advice on a BMW forum.

I will just say this - if you are like all my Canuck friends, you want an AWD vehicle.
In that case, Model 3 SR+ is a wrong model for you. Consider shopping for a Model 3 AWD, and repeat your analysis from there.

Financially, the answer will be self-evident.
Subjectively, it may be different.
You're probably right.

Reoccurring themes are my concern for winter driving (even if its not much but it's there!) and peace of mind with charging, again during winter. Either I fork the extra $ to get Tesla AWD or stick with 2021 BMW 330xi which is a 36-month lease.

Financially, I get a car allowance and Quebec gives you a $8000 cash incentive. It's free money for me. I find this very appealing lol.

Last edited:
As someone who just recently purchased a Model 3 and did not have the ability to home charge it for approximately a week and a half I can say that, lacking the ability to charge at home, would be annoying and would likely sour me on the EV (Tesla or other manufacturer) experience. I am very happy with my Model 3 but having to go out and charge it would wear on me. I know, I know...one has to do that with an ICE vehicle. The difference is filling up an ICE vehicle is a lot faster than recharging an EV, even with Supercharging or DC Fast charging. Likewise there are more places to do so. The nearest Supercharging station for me is approximately 6 miles away. Not far but it's not on the corner (where there are two gas stations).

So I am going to lean the other way, from most of the forum, and recommend you avoid a pure EV until you can charge where you live. Someone said after living with one for a week you'll either become a fan or a detractor. It's my opinion not being able to charge at home will eventually sour you on EVs.

As someone who just recently purchased a Model 3 and did not have the ability to home charge it for approximately a week and a half I can say that, lacking the ability to charge at home, would be annoying and would likely sour me on the EV (Tesla or other manufacturer) experience. I am very happy with my Model 3 but having to go out and charge it would wear on me. I know, I know...one has to do that with an ICE vehicle. The difference is filling up an ICE vehicle is a lot faster than recharging an EV, even with Supercharging or DC Fast charging. Likewise there are more places to do so. The nearest Supercharging station for me is approximately 6 miles away. Not far but it's not on the corner (where there are two gas stations).

So I am going to lean the other way, from most of the forum, and recommend you avoid a pure EV until you can charge where you live. Someone said after living with one for a week you'll either become a fan or a detractor. It's my opinion not being able to charge at home will eventually sour you on EVs.
Also, my province reimburses 50% of the costs including purchase of charging station with installation.

The savings are much more than that, given the costs for gas, oil, brake pads, and expensive service with the BMW. All these go to zero with the Tesla.

That is BAD advise.

BMW covers all maintenance costs for the duration of the lease.
Also, TM3 maintenance costs are distinctly non 0.
My TM3P eats through tires at at least 2x the rate of my BMW (I'm on my second set of summer and winter tires, after 2 years and 28K miles). That's ~$2K/2 years more than I normally incur with the bimmer (unless I track it, which is another cost category altogether).

Also, extracting warranty work or service from Tesla is a royal PITA, that has only gotten worse over time.
Where I live, service appointment available is 4+ weeks out, even if you have a suspension failure or some other terminal condition with the Tesla. I'm 100% driving ///M3 right now, while waiting on the TM3P appointment (2 weeks to go) to replace blown front shock.

YMMV,
a

Also, my province reimburses 50% of the costs including purchase of charging station with installation.
If you can get "home" charging then I would recommend staying with the Model 3. Throw on some snow tires and you should be good for those instances where you need to go out in the winter weather (I used snow tires on my Volt and had no issues). IMO if you don't have a convenient place to charge an EV then I would, for the time being, avoid a pure EV. You may be OK with having to go somewhere and wait to charge but, at least for me, that would get old quickly.

Thankfully places to charge are becoming more prevalent. The apartment complex next door to my community just installed a bunch of Charge Point charging stations throughout the property.

That is BAD advise.

BMW covers all maintenance costs for the duration of the lease.
Also, TM3 maintenance costs are distinctly non 0.
My TM3P eats through tires at at least 2x the rate of my BMW (I'm on my second set of summer and winter tires, after 2 years and 28K miles). That's ~$2K/2 years more than I normally incur with the bimmer (unless I track it, which is another cost category altogether).

Also, extracting warranty work or service from Tesla is a royal PITA, that has only gotten worse over time.
Where I live, service appointment available is 4+ weeks out, even if you have a suspension failure or some other terminal condition with the Tesla. I'm 100% driving ///M3 right now, while waiting on the TM3P appointment (2 weeks to go) to replace blown front shock.

YMMV,
a
Yes, confirmed. In my 4 year lease with BMW, I paid 0$ in maintenance/servicing. I only paid 200$ once since I asked them to run diagnostics on my 330xdrive battery.

That's crazy- you're talking about the stock michelin M3 tires?

Yes, confirmed. In my 4 year lease with BMW, I paid 0$ in maintenance/servicing. I only paid 200$ once since I asked them to run diagnostics on my 330xdrive battery.

That's crazy- you're talking about the stock michelin M3 tires?

@afadeev has both a model 3 performance, and a "real M3" (I refuse categorically to EVER call a model 3 a "M3"). People who like performance cars tend to drive them, well, like performance cars, so I am not surprised they wear tires faster.

Reactions: afadeev
If you are getting an SR3 vs. a BMW 3 series, I think the 3 series is the much better option for you. No home charging, winter range, and the lack of commute make the 3 series a no brainer. I love my Performance 3 but I live in sunny Cali with a huge solar installation at my house so distinctly different situation. If I were you, I think the ICE is a better solution unless you get higher range EV models.

If you are getting an SR3 vs. a BMW 3 series, I think the 3 series is the much better option for you. No home charging, winter range, and the lack of commute make the 3 series a no brainer. I love my Performance 3 but I live in sunny Cali with a huge solar installation at my house so distinctly different situation. If I were you, I think the ICE is a better solution unless you get higher range EV models.
Thank you. But if you had a car allowance and the government gave you a $8000 cheque, would you go with the M3 SR+ for that reason? The provincial government is PAYING you to drive EV. I can do a lot with $8K lol.

Thank you. But if you had a car allowance and the government gave you a $8000 cheque, would you go with the M3 SR+ for that reason? The provincial government is PAYING you to drive EV. I can do a lot with $8K lol.
I guess I thought the BMW lease was $100 more expensive with the $8k check already calculated. If not, then the SR3 makes more sense if you are willing to live with the compromises. If the $100 more per month is all in, I would still take the BMW.

How do you do it, when you arrive at your destination with like 10%? You can't just leave it there. Do you change your destination to a supercharger location, and do one last charge before arriving? Say I am supposed to arrive at hotel with 20%. What's the point? I will have to charge it so I have enough power so it doesn't die.
The vampire drain is pretty insignificant, also there are enough destination chargers and super chargers around that once you arrive somewhere you can charge it - but once again, you have to do that extra "Tesla Travel Planning" effort. Find a hotel with tesla chargers, or charge at a supercharger nearby etc...

Worrying about your battery charge in a Tesla for in-city driving is a non-issue.
As a non-commuter whether you garage or not , practically speaking lets say you drive 30km/day anyways you will always come home charge the car for like 24hrs at 9km/hr and recoup whatever you used.

By default the Tesla charges to 80% unless, you set it to charge to a 100%. This problem is a red herring.
The car is great, its less great for a non-commuter and maybe pros/cons favour an ICE car.

If you were commuting in Quebec especially the Model 3 is a no brainer.
Cheapest electricity in the world, highest gas prices, and massive incentives....