Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I keep my SR+ order, or Re lease another BMW 330?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A supercharger at home ?
It's a matter of opinion but I wouldn't say that travelling with a M3 is horrendous. I agree that it does required more planning but in the Montreal area and further north and west, there are quite a few SCs.
Honestly, its horrendous. I use abetterrouteplanner too. Compared to an ICE car between Montreal and Toronto, in the winter with an SR+ its just ridiculous. I love Teslas, I love the Model 3 - I think it is literally the best commuter car in the world but the travelling is so constrained my temperature, speed, distance, charging time etc... that you can't confidently take it on a trip without really pre-planning, monitoring your range and at best you are still adding 10% to your travel time to stop and charge. The compromises people make to extend their range (no heating, use seat heating etc... ) are laugable and not worth of a 60k car.

I was going to ask about this. Are you sure ABRP takes into account weather temperature? Can anyone confirm this?
I just used for a trip back from Toronto to Montreal. It was very accurate. I can't remember if it takes weather temperature into account but just to give you an idea. In the dead of winter between Montreal and Toronto estimate literally 50% range. You can barely make it between Cornwall and Kingston.

I am in Quebec too, to. I got the SR+ in 2019 with FSD and both incentives. Apparently now the LR and Y qualifies for both incentives. We recently had a loaner LR and there was a noticeable difference between the SR+ and the LR but the car is for my wife, she doesn't really care about speed but the AWD is definitely something of value.

I understood were you comparing keeping your existing BMW vs Getting a new M3. If you are buying new for sure. Then its a little tougher. Outside of a 30% discount on another new car, I would always pick a regular priced Tesla vs something else.

I'm skeptical about the EV charger bringing up the value of your condo. Renovations generally never bring in more than 50-70% of their cost and something as exclusive as electric car charger, meh.
Please visit this link: Eligible new vehicles |Québec Government rebate for new VE

Only 2018 LR M3 models are eligible. The BMW that I drive now is a lease. I give it back. The buyback wasn't worth it. Might as well get a new lease at that price.

Regarding condo, as more and more people drive EV and live in condos, it's def a perk to already have an EV charger installed. People will pay more for that since it would be already included.

If you drive rarely I would just plug into any 110 v electrical outlet and see how that works for you ~3miles per hour. If you want to go with faster charging just put a nema-14-50 outlet in and use that, you will have to buy the adapter, but won't need the wall charger. I think you will find that you are likely fine with just slow charging from a regular outlet because you have time. Hard to get used to the car always being topped off as opposed to needing to be charged from almost empty. Run an errand come home, a few hours later you are charged up again...

I just used for a trip back from Toronto to Montreal. It was very accurate. I can't remember if it takes weather temperature into account but just to give you an idea. In the dead of winter between Montreal and Toronto estimate literally 50% range. You can barely make it between Cornwall and Kingston.
Right, so for fun I did a ABRP toronto to montreal here A Better Routeplanner

7 hours to Toronto is pretty ridiculous lol. Do you think it will yield the same travel time during winter months? If not, you're at a serious disadvantage and you'll get stuck with 0%. I see your point though with travel time. It's not really pick-up-and-go.

I can confirm ABRP takes temp, wind velocity, contamination of the road, number of passengers in the car.
I can't comment on a trip from Montreal to Toronto as I never did it, however I went often to the Maritimes in Winter with a Mid Range (same range as the S+), and it worked well.

If you drive rarely I would just plug into any 110 v electrical outlet and see how that works for you ~3miles per hour. If you want to go with faster charging just put a nema-14-50 outlet in and use that, you will have to buy the adapter, but won't need the wall charger. I think you will find that you are likely fine with just slow charging from a regular outlet because you have time. Hard to get used to the car always being topped off as opposed to needing to be charged from almost empty. Run an errand come home, a few hours later you are charged up again...
That's what you want, right? Run errands, come back. Plug. rinse repeat. I always want to leave my house at 100%.

I agree with this too. Infrequent driving with a supercharger somewhere in your area - you don't need anything more than 15A. In fact you can start with the 15A slow charger and see how it goes.

Right, so for fun I did a ABRP toronto to montreal here A Better Routeplanner

7 hours to Toronto is pretty ridiculous lol. Do you think it will yield the same travel time during winter months? If not, you're a serious disadvantage and you'll get stuck with 0%. I see your point though with travel time. It's not really pick-up-and-go.
Want to drive faster, worse mileage. Almost got into a fist fight at the kingston supercharger this time since there were like 4 cars lining up to charge.

The big caveat with all this is to say, look if you are commuting every day then that 1 or 2 road trips a year no matter how inconvenient are not a factor. Like 99% of the time you have an awesome ride. Its worth compromising on your trips. But for you as a person who doesn't commute much, the balance changes.

The big caveat with all this is to say, look if you are commuting every day then that 1 or 2 road trips a year no matter how inconvenient are not a factor. Like 99% of the time you have an awesome ride. Its worth compromising on your trips. But for you as a person who doesn't commute much, the balance changes.

This statement right here covers it pretty well. For this OP, it appears to me that the OP should re lease another BMW, based on their driving pattern.

I agree with this too. Infrequent driving with a supercharger somewhere in your area - you don't need anything more than 15A. In fact you can start with the 15A slow charger and see how it goes.

Want to drive faster, worse mileage. Almost got into a fist fight at the kingston supercharger this time since there were like 4 cars lining up to charge.

Exactly why I made this topic, haha. I would sign a 4-year lease with Tesla versus a 3-year lease with BMW. If my situation changes (e.g not working from home) then the tesla is even a better idea since it rewards you for more mileage and saves you much more. There was a period (1 year) where I commuted to work every day. I would gas up every 2 weeks in the winter time putting premium gas for the BMW. It's expensive. BUT this is not the case now. I'm back home 24/7.

I just like the free $8000 money since I get a company car allowance.. Ugh.

Exactly why I made this topic. haha But I would sign a 4-year lease with Tesla versus a 3-year lease with BMW. If my situation changes (e.g not working from home) then the tesla is even a better idea since it rewards you for more mileage and saves you much more. There was a period (1 year) where I commuted to work every day. I would gas up every 2 weeks in the winter time putting premium gas for the BMW. It's expensive.
Yeah, you'd have to factor all that in too. Finally, you are aware of the difference in the fit and finish of a BMW vs a Tesla and especially road noise?

How do you do it, when you arrive at your destination with like 10%? You can't just leave it there. Do you change your destination to a supercharger location, and do one last charge before arriving? Say I am supposed to arrive at hotel with 20%. What's the point? I will have to charge it so I have enough power so it doesn't die.