Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I lower it or leave it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 18' stealth performance and looking to lower it now that it is out of warranty at 51k. I'd like to make my work commute to milpitas more comfortable. Its just a daily driver and I probably will not take it to the track. Wife occasionally drives it and we use the model 3 for ski trips to tahoe. I'm looking for a slight drop with the best comfortability and also to fill in the gap a little to make it look nicer, and since we'll probably keep this car for a long time, hopefully whichever route I go with will be no issues. I've been looking at these options: Eibach Pro with Tein enduro pro plus adjustable dampers or Tein flex Z coilovers. I've had Eibachs before on my previous cars and the ride was not too bad but sorta bouncy, most likely because I had used them with stock shocks. I've never had coilovers before, so not sure which is the best route to take. This is my wheel setup during the summer and during the winter, I use the aero wheels.

Attachments

• yountville_forgestar wheels.jpeg
    yountville_forgestar wheels.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 404
  • garage outside_forgestar.jpeg
    garage outside_forgestar.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 262
  • garage_forgestar wheels.jpeg
    garage_forgestar wheels.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 261
I lowered mine and I love it. Rides better and looks better IMO. But I did drop about $5k in the process and have to be a little more careful on certain roads and parking lots. It is really a personal decision. I have heard good things about the TEIN Flex-Z though I chose to go with the MPP Comfort Non-Adjustables because I am with my family a lot in the car. Check out my build thread, the car is almost identical to yours so a good comparison.

Here is it lowered on 18's

1925775a-e997-45ee-9b80-00f4e978ab7d-jpeg.876347

and here it is lowered on 20" TSportline TS-5

1354931d-cd7f-4f32-9e52-8ca5812ba13d-jpeg.867611

I lowered mine and I love it. Rides better and looks better IMO. But I did drop about $5k in the process and have to be a little more careful on certain roads and parking lots. It is really a personal decision. I have heard good things about the TEIN Flex-Z though I chose to go with the MPP Comfort Non-Adjustables because I am with my family a lot in the car. Check out my build thread, the car is almost identical to yours so a good comparison.

It does look really nice lowered with the 20s!

Thanks for the reply. I saw your build thread and your car looks very nice. But I was wondering when you said you are with your family a lot in your car, would all of those MPP components be necessary to have the best comfortable ride? Would just the MPP non adjustable coilovers be enough to add? I like the ride height with the aero wheels on, looks perfect. Lately when I've been going ski, I take our Acura MDX Hybrid instead so can avoid needing to stop and charge on the way up to Tahoe, so lowering it would be ok for me, but I just want a comfortable ride. If MPP is better than the Tein Flex Z's, in terms of comfortability and longer lasting, I could consider going with MPP as well.

absoloutely a personal decision.... i think if one is seeking noticeably improved ride quality then theyll be massively disappointed.

From a lower point of view - lowering a model 3 isn't really about having a low car - stock Model 3s ride extremely high compared to lets say BMW or Audi counterparts. I think lowering the Model 3 by 2cm just makes it roughly the same as a Bmw 3 series or 4 series?

Thanks for the reply. I saw your build thread and your car looks very nice. But I was wondering when you said you are with your family a lot in your car, would all of those MPP components be necessary to have the best comfortable ride? Would just the MPP non adjustable coilovers be enough to add? I like the ride height with the aero wheels on, looks perfect. Lately when I've been going ski, I take our Acura MDX Hybrid instead so can avoid needing to stop and charge on the way up to Tahoe, so lowering it would be ok for me, but I just want a comfortable ride. If MPP is better than the Tein Flex Z's, in terms of comfortability and longer lasting, I could consider going with MPP as well.
I think the major question would be how much you want to lower it. What I was told by Rishie over at AutoRnD is that if you want less than a 1.25” drop that the MPP comfort non adjustable is appropriate. If you want to lower it 1.25” or more I was told the MPP sport or TEIN are better options with the TEIN being a much cheaper option that is still very capable.

I personally think the comfort non adjustable with the car lowered about 1” is how the performance model should have come stock. Looks great, rides great, handles like a sports sedan. It’s not harsh at all my wife actually thinks it feels better than stock despite being lower.

As far as my build goes, I did a few extra things that weren’t necessary but felt like it was worth doing while the car was apart at a shop. The camber arms are not a necessity unless you go lower than ~1” IIRC. The MPP Front LCA Bearings, MPP Front Compression Rod Inserts, and MPP Brake Master Cylinder Brace were for feel or preventative maintenance reasons. The wheel spacers are specifically for looks I just think the car looks way better with flush wheels. That’s all personal preference stuff but not needed of budget is a concern.

I would use caution lowering it if you will be taking regular ski trips. Mine is lowered about 1” and I have broken all 4 mud flaps off, mostly on speed bumps, and still occasionally scrape if I am not careful. But, maybe the roads around CA ski resorts aren’t as uneven and pothole-riddled as those in NM.

Also, did your research for a comfortable option specifically take you away from MPP’s Comfort option, or had you simply not found them yet?

Last edited:
I see you are in the Bay Area. I lowered my car once many moons ago. Never will do it again if I only drive it on the street. I hated going over speed bumps and driving up/down driveways. There were more cons than pros when lowering the car. You had also mention going to ski trips. You will hate it because snow will get stuck in wheel-well and there is a bigger chance of hitting rock.
Only lower the car if you are going to track.

But if it just for "looks" it's really up to you. In terms of performance you aren't really going to notice it lowering it 1 to 2 inches.

I think the major question would be how much you want to lower it. What I was told by Rishie over at AutoRnD is that if you want less than a 1.25” drop that the MPP comfort non adjustable is appropriate. If you want to lower it 1.25” or more I was told the MPP sport or TEIN are better options with the TEIN being a much cheaper option that is still very capable.

I personally think the comfort non adjustable with the car lowered about 1” is how the performance model should have come stock. Looks great, rides great, handles like a sports sedan. It’s not harsh at all my wife actually thinks it feels better than stock despite being lower.

As far as my build goes, I did a few extra things that weren’t necessary but felt like it was worth doing while the car was apart at a shop. The camber arms are not a necessity unless you go lower than ~1” IIRC. The MPP Front LCA Bearings, MPP Front Compression Rod Inserts, and MPP Brake Master Cylinder Brace were for feel or preventative maintenance reasons. The wheel spacers are specifically for looks I just think the car looks way better with flush wheels. That’s all personal preference stuff but not needed of budget is a concern.
Yeah, what I actually would like is just a very minimal up to 1" drop. Something that would be comparable to possibly the stock performance model. Mainly would like to close up the gap slightly to look better and then have a more comfortable ride. I'm a older guy so dont want it to be too low looking, just a sportier look like how the bmw sports sedans are.

Good point on the reasons you have the few extra things. Mine is a 2018 and will be 5 yrs this november so I'm wondering if any of those things would need replacing soon, and good to get it all done at one time if already in the shop.

Now thinking maybe these would be possible options:
- Eibach Pro paired with the Tein enduro pro plus adjustable dampers
- stock model 3 performance springs with Tein enduro pro plus adjustable dampers
- Stay with current stock suspension and get bigger tires to fill up the gap and look better?

This is my summer wheel setup:
Front: 19x8.5 ET32
Rear: 19x10 ET38
Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires
Front: 235/40/19
Rear: 275/35/19

I see you are in the Bay Area. I lowered my car once many moons ago. Never will do it again if I only drive it on the street. I hated going over speed bumps and driving up/down driveways. There were more cons than pros when lowering the car. You had also mention going to ski trips. You will hate it because snow will get stuck in wheel-well and there is a bigger chance of hitting rock.
Only lower the car if you are going to track.

But if it just for "looks" it's really up to you. In terms of performance you aren't really going to notice it lowering it 1 to 2 inches.
Yeah, for ski trips, I've been taking our MDX instead so can avoid needing to charge up on the way or worrying about range etc. I never actually drive tesla up if its snowing or has a lot of snow on the roads, usually only when its clear sunny days and roads are plowed well etc.

Yeah, what I actually would like is just a very minimal up to 1" drop. Something that would be comparable to possibly the stock performance model. Mainly would like to close up the gap slightly to look better and then have a more comfortable ride. I'm a older guy so dont want it to be too low looking, just a sportier look like how the bmw sports sedans are.

Good point on the reasons you have the few extra things. Mine is a 2018 and will be 5 yrs this november so I'm wondering if any of those things would need replacing soon, and good to get it all done at one time if already in the shop.

Now thinking maybe these would be possible options:
- Eibach Pro paired with the Tein enduro pro plus adjustable dampers
- stock model 3 performance springs with Tein enduro pro plus adjustable dampers
- Stay with current stock suspension and get bigger tires to fill up the gap and look better?

This is my summer wheel setup:
Front: 19x8.5 ET32
Rear: 19x10 ET38
Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires
Front: 235/40/19
Rear: 275/35/19
Stock performance model used to be just shy of a half inch drop but I think they stopped lowering it at all some time back in ‘21 or ‘22. I actually had a 2018 P3D+ before some jackass blew through a stop sign and totaled it and I could tell the difference when I was parked next to a regular dual motor though the drop wasn’t huge.

If you’re gonna go through the trouble of swapping suspensions I wouldn’t do it for a stock P3D+ spring it just doesn’t seem worth the trouble IMO. The drop is minimal and the improvements to the feel are minimal. Trying to pair springs and shocks that weren’t designed for each other never seem to work as well as a complete system. For the money I think the TEIN coilovers or MPP comfort non adjustable is the way to go but that’s me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm going through the same internal debate. My 2021 has the 'lowered' suspension and I'm pretty happy with the way it rides, but the prospect of tightening up the response while making it more compliant is really tempting. I don't want to go much lower, but am looking at MPP Comfort Adjustables and Redwood FPX GT, which coincidentally are the exact same MSRP.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I'm going through the same internal debate. My 2021 has the 'lowered' suspension and I'm pretty happy with the way it rides, but the prospect of tightening up the response while making it more compliant is really tempting. I don't want to go much lower, but am looking at MPP Comfort Adjustables and Redwood FPX GT, which coincidentally are the exact same MSRP.
Did you end up getting a kit ?

A practical question... how much can you lower the car before you can no longer fit a standard jack under it (plus jack pad)?
“Standard” is pretty broad. From the factory there is about 4.6” under the jack locations. Any jack you buy should advertise its minimum lifting height.

Of note, jack pads aren’t necessary as long as your jack has a flat (I.e. the rubber disc) lifting surface. They are honestly more convenient for visually locating the jack than necessary for lifting the vehicle.

Reactions: ThaiBruin