Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I really buy Model S????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
With all the horror stories going around lately (about the manufacturing issues), it makes me wonder should I really go ahead with my 110k purchase?
What do you guys suggest? Should I just wait for maybe 6months until they improve build quality?

Suggestions are really appreciated!!!

The Model S is a good car. IMO, the problem is with the *rest* of Tesla, specifically QA and Service. One vehicle will be perfect, the next will be riddled with issues. And then when you try to schedule service, everything is done via the App with very little communication. It took me 2 months to get a replacement bolt earlier in the year....not due to lead time, but they just flat out wouldn't respond, and there was no way to talk to a Human other than to go to a service center, who tells you to use the App. It's maddening that a company with so much revenue has such a horrible support arm.

Some folks are fine with this. I am not. My car has been to the service center 28 times since I purchased it in 2019. If I had to do it again, I probably would have just waited on the F150L or similar from another manufacturer that has a better support infrastructure in place.

On a side note, I generally never buy the first year of any new or re-designed model to let the 'bugs' get worked out, Tesla just seems to have more reoccurring issues than most. Your results truly will vary, as you're seeing in this thread.

Reactions: jebinc
Upvote 0
Also no long term track record (no pun intended). The battery warranty is only 36K/36months. It also appears they're having massive problems due to defective onboard chargers nuking cells. A whistle blower is claiming that they hide defective cells and quietly add other spare cells that aren't normally counted in the total capacity to hide the fact that previous cells died and have been sequestered.

That article is COMPLETE FUD, by the way. Pretty much made up the entire way. Alex modified the warranty terms to suit the article, too. If you're wondering why nobody gives a toss about that article, well, now you know. If you care more, I debunked much of his argument in my very first post on the Taycan message boards.

Upvote 0
The Model S is a good car. IMO, the problem is with the *rest* of Tesla, specifically QA and Service. One vehicle will be perfect, the next will be riddled with issues. And then when you try to schedule service, everything is done via the App with very little communication. It took me 2 months to get a replacement bolt earlier in the year....not due to lead time, but they just flat out wouldn't respond, and there was no way to talk to a Human other than to go to a service center, who tells you to use the App. It's maddening that a company with so much revenue has such a horrible support arm.

Some folks are fine with this. I am not. My car has been to the service center 28 times since I purchased it in 2019. If I had to do it again, I probably would have just waited on the F150L or similar from another manufacturer that has a better support infrastructure in place.
I get a lot of converts back to traditional brands because of exactly this reason. If I didn’t have the gumption and flex time to do the Tesla SeC song and dance™ , I too would have gone back to a nearly free to me German car of my choice within months of getting a Tesla.

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing the thoughts. These are really helpful.

I think it boils down to the fact that there is nothing out there which can beat Tesla in terms of amazing looks/simplicity/range. The day when there is a competitive car in front of it, that's when Tesla will have to pull up their socks to deliver much better build quality. (The day is not far, probably couple of years until the time runs out for Tesla. They should better fix this until it's too late)

I am going to still go ahead with mine keeping my fingers crossed and in the hopes of getting good customer service.

I dont think there ever will be -- they're too far ahead. Everyone else will always be years behind. Unless they share technology with Porsche, and make all EV's share the same network -- it's just not even a fair fight.

Upvote 0
Hi All,
With all the horror stories going around lately (about the manufacturing issues), it makes me wonder should I really go ahead with my 110k purchase?
What do you guys suggest? Should I just wait for maybe 6months until they improve build quality?

Yes. Order the car! The car is amazing In so many ways. My 2022 Model S has a creak in the dash and a warning message that occasionally comes on, but that all will be fixed. Other manufacturers have their own issues. I smile and love the car every time I get into it. It’s fast, quiet, smooth and so much more. If you like music, Tidal gives you the best quality sound possible from a streaming/download service to a car. The back seat is comfortable and spacious and you have lots of storage. The screens are excellent. The car is excellent.

Please let us know what you decide.

Reactions: skeva
Upvote 0
Hi All,

We always regret the things we didn't do more than the things we did... go for it!

Upvote 0