Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I recalibrate cameras?

Recalibrate cameras under clear / ideal conditions

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WllXM

May 4, 2022
London
When I took delivery of my Model Y, it was on an autumn day with pouring rain. Yet, upon driving a dozen miles on the motorway with wipers on high setting, the initial camera calibration sequence completed without any fuss and I was advised I could use all AP / EAP functionalities.

Yet, most of the times on a clear day, when stationary, I can see a lot of wiggly lines on FSD visualisation, cyclists and cars jittering or sometimes disappearing.
From what I saw looking at random YouTube videos this appeared somewhat normal.
But more and more now I'm wondering if this behaviour on my car hasn't been amplified by the poor weather conditions under which the initial calibration took place.

So, should I wait for a nice clear day on the motorway and try to recalibrate my cameras? Am I likely to see any improvements? Or is all that jittering still normal even when calibrated under ideal conditions?
I'm aware that the downside of recalibrating is that I won't be able to use TACC/AP features for possibly up to 100 miles (according to the manual, even if my initial calibration under the downpour took less than 10...). Or is recalibrating a procedure normally reserved for windshield replacement / severe changes to the vehicle?

Per the manual:
If a camera has shifted from its calibrated position (for example, the camera or windshield was replaced), you must clear the calibration. To do so, touch Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration. When the calibration is cleared, Model Y repeats the calibration process. While this helps re-calibrate the cameras in many cases, Clear Calibration may not resolve all camera and sensor concerns.
So I would say no, don't mess with it unless you've had the cameras serviced or replaced or the windshield replaced.

Recalibrating the cameras is just re-cropping each camera's feed to remove blind spots and overlaps, so if the weather was bad enough to impede it's ability to do this, I would imagine it would have failed, ticked over until the next drive or requested a reset.

If you think there is a big issue with it, I'd open a service ticket and not bother recalibrating unless told to do so TBH. "Wiggly lines, jittering and disappearing objects" are all common in my experience. If you were having severe phantom braking or lane keeping issues I'd be more concerned.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Doesn't sound likely that calibration is related to this. In my experience calibration mainly effects how well the car center's itself in a lane, i.e. it's learning from your driving what straight is.

Can't really comment on whether your wiggles are normal or not without a video. If as you say it seems about the same as videos on YouTube then surely it's all fine.

I’d say do it, it can’t harm.

I have read somewhere in the dim and distant past that there MIGHT be a correlation between phantom braking and calibration.

for example, in the model 3 we went directly to a motorway with clear lane markings, the cameras calibrated after maybe 30 miles and in 18 months/10,500 miles we had zero phantom braking occurrences

the current Y was calibrated similarly and we haven’t done many miles on standard AP or cruise but so far again no issues in 2 months.

Maybe this isn’t related in the least, but I don’t see any harm in recalibrating if things aren’t working quite as you’d wish them to.

I recalibrated my cameras (unwittingly) after 7 months. The thing I noticed most was once the calibration had taken place and AP was allowed again it was decidedly to the left of the lane again, just as it had been when I first used AP. Over a few hundred more miles, the placement in lane became more centralised again, just as it did originally, so I think @hgmichna is likely correct and there is some form of constant minor retweaking.

But dancing cyclists, lorries and pedestrians seem very much par for the course, and recalibration had no effect.