Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I take my X to SF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's probably because I'm from out of town but a stop @ Harris Ranch I though was a treat on our summer trip so spending time there is easy :) Heading south and stopping there I was able to walk over and see the battery swap station (cool!). On the way home we stopped there and had dinner and it was great. I'm sure if I lived in the area it would get more boring but of all the chargers I've been at thus far at least HR is neat and better than some other ones.

I will be doing another trip to SF and I will be staying at the Intercontinental on Howard Street (as its close to my meeting) but it appears they have two ParkPod J1772 chargers that are limited to 17 amps and users report only receiving 10 MPH! Intercontinental Hotel | SF, CA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
Hopefully I can get enough juice so I can skip Dublin and go directly to Gustine. Did any of you charge at that hotel??
If charging at the intercontinental doesn't work out or you need to top off there are a few chademo chargers in the city not to far away. Could also park at the 5th & mission garage about a block away from the hotel for actual level 2 charging

Reactions: K-MTG
If charging at the intercontinental doesn't work out or you need to top off there are a few chademo chargers in the city not to far away. Could also park at the 5th & mission garage about a block away from the hotel for actual level 2 charging

I don't think I would receive a chademo adapter if I order it now? But I assume I could pick it up at the San Francisco Tesla Service if I need it??

I drove to Palo Alto earlier this month (2 weeks ago) in my X as my flight to SFO was canceled due to weather. I can confirm the trip planner overestimated this time, contrasted to my prior trip in August where it underestimated. Thus, I arrived at each of my destinations with 45-80 miles. This time, I didn't use the AC or Heat and was driving 75/80 MPH.

My stops:
Home to Palo Alto
  • Bakersfield ~ 25 minutes
  • Harris Ranch ~ 45 minutes
I did some slow charging at the Hilton Garden Inn (next to the Tesla service) and went to San Francisco but the destination charger at my hotel over there was ICED.

San Francisco to Home
  • Dublin ~ 20 minutes
  • Gustine ~ 50 minutes
  • Bakersfield ~ 50 minutes
  • Tejon Ranch ~ 15 minutes

I had to top off at Dublin (which was nearly full at 10 PM) since I couldn't charge at my hotel in San Francisco. But for some reason my car told me to slow down to 70 MPH shortly after departing Bakersfield even though I had 50 miles of extra range. Thus, I stopped in Tejon Ranch to juice up the battery but I made it home with 80 miles. So I am not sure why the trip planner told me to slow down??

I will be doing another trip to SF and I will be staying at the Intercontinental on Howard Street (as its close to my meeting) but it appears they have two ParkPod J1772 chargers that are limited to 17 amps and users report only receiving 10 MPH! Intercontinental Hotel | SF, CA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
Hopefully I can get enough juice so I can skip Dublin and go directly to Gustine. Did any of you charge at that hotel??

So here is my supercharging plan, do you think my stops and the amount I will be charging will be sufficient??

Irvine to SF
  • Bakersfield: Charge to ~ 200
  • Gustine: Charge to ~ 160

SF to Irvine
Depart Intercontinental (SF) with ~ 160.
  • Gustine: Charge to ~ 200
  • Bakersfield: Charge to ~ 210

Even though parking rates at the hotel will be equivalent to airfare, my previous flight trip from home to my hotel in San Francisco took 6 and a half hours. I would rather drive than deal with security, delayed flights, limited luggage allowance, etc.....
Curious about your ICED experience at the Hilton Garden. You can't ask the front desk to scare up the guest and make them move their car?

There are three ways to get from LA to San Francisco. I-5 is the least interesting. For the adventurous, there is highway 1. 101 is a great drive, especially if you take your time and spend the night at the Madonna Inn in SLO. All three routes are supercharger enabled.

I have done the Bakersfield/Buttonwillow stretch from a full 100% charge at home (Irvine) without an issue driving 80 MPH. I arrived with atleast 40-50 miles. I did it with AC and no AC. But I never did it with the heat on
Charging to 100% would probably do it providing you don't get a wind from the North or use too much heat. AC is not a big deal. Heat and wind are.

BTW charging at Harris and then again at Gilroy and going 152 to 101 is technically a bit shorter (maybe 10 minutes) in overall time, but then you have to risk the charging efficiency at both Harris and Gilroy, which have been known to either backup or get reduced rates.

Last edited:
Curious about your ICED experience at the Hilton Garden. You can't ask the front desk to scare up the guest and make them move their car?

I was able to charge at the Hilton Garden IINN in Palo Alto. It was only 14 MPH.
I was ICED at the Hilton Union Square in SF and the valet people said they cant do anything about it.

There are three ways to get from LA to San Francisco. I-5 is the least interesting. For the adventurous, there is highway 1. 101 is a great drive, especially if you take your time and spend the night at the Madonna Inn in SLO. All three routes are supercharger enabled.

Isn't I-5 the fastest?? That is what matters to me.

Charging to 100% would probably do it providing you don't get a wind from the North or use too much heat. AC is not a big deal. Heat and wind are.

On my first trip to SF with my X, I did Buttonwillow and Harris. I charged at Harris until 225 rated assuming I would make it to SF which is 182 miles away. But I had to get some more miles at Dublin since the car was telling me to slow down under 70 mph. This time I will skip Harris and Dublin by using Gustine instead. So my only two chargers will be Gustine and Bakersfield.

I don't think going to Bakersfield will be a problem, since wind is only forecasted 5-6 mph. (Today its 17-20). And I will be leaving home with 100%. The return to home will be a bit more risky since I will probably leave Bakersfield with 225 and won't wait till a 100%. Though I have done this before and made it home, but this time the weather is not that friendly.

BTW charging at Harris and then again at Gilroy and going 152 to 101 is technically a bit shorter (maybe 10 minutes) in overall time, but then you have to risk the charging efficiency at both Harris and Gilroy, which have been known to either backup or get reduced rates.

I'd rather take the I-5 to 580,

100% true. I live in SF and have had this happen with our Nissan Leaf. I have no front plate on the X, but we don't park it on the street either.
I've often wondered about this law that Calif and some other states have. What's the reasoning? With so many more states not requiring it, why do the states that do require it? Has there ever been any talk in California about doing away with the requirement?

100% true. I live in SF and have had this happen with our Nissan Leaf. I have no front plate on the X, but we don't park it on the street either.

They don't care in SoCal, I have been front plate free on all 4 cars since I got them.

I won't be parking on the streeets of SF anymore, last time I did with my Acura and got my window smashed and laptop stolen.

Bummer. You've had experience charging. Is this what you can usually expect if the space is ICED? They usually won't do anything about it? Figuring I should adjust my expectations to reality for when I get my X.

I filed a complaint to install additional chargers but I got the standard response from Hilton that they value my feedback.....

Arrived at Intercontinental but the hotel lost their fob for the station ):
Any suggestions? Never heard of ParkPod??
2D55AD39-3A1D-42B5-AA43-8D2A0C88503F.JPG

Got to Bakersfield with only 8 miles, left Gustine with 244. The stretch is only 155, so I used 89 extra rated miles?? Thats strange since on my way up along the same route, I left Bakersfield with 218 and arrived at Gustine with 39. So I used only 24 extra rated miles that time. Not sure what happened this time.

The car is supercharging slow, only 250 miles an hour. On the same stall last time it was 315.

Now, I am at Bakersfield and will charge until 230 for my 160 mile stretch home.