Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I take my X to SF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does my efficiency look, good/bad?
I don't own an X, but it is well established that it's Wh/m efficiency is significantly less than the S. Many S owners average just over 300 Wh/m. Your Average Energy numbers seem a bit higher than what I have seen other X owners post. How fast do you typically go on the freeway? (When traffic isn't slowing you down.) Going 75-80mph is going to produce much worse efficiency than going 65-70.

I'm not sure that 12 minutes at Harris Ranch is enough to get to SF safely. You may want to add in a MTV/San Mateo/Gilroy stop or charge at Harris Ranch for longer.
Other that that it looks like a good plan.

I was going to say the same thing, 12 minutes in Harris ranch isn't enough to get to Gilroy, let alone into the city, especially if you're still using around 400+ wh/mi.

Why not just take the 5 to 580, can I stop for a bit at dublin instead? Won't that be faster?
Not from my math. It's basically the same distance to SF (184 vs 189 miles) but the charger spacing means that you will be taking more time at the top end of the charge where Gilroy is faster.

HR to Gilroy = 111 miles
HR to Dublin = 150 miles

Remember it's always faster to fill the bottom than the top of a Tesla. :)

I'm going to be making a first-time trip in my S85D from irvine --> SF this weekend, and also plan to make supercharger stops at buttonwillow, harris ranch, and dublin. I don't really want to do street parking (no front plate and prefer not to have my car broken into) - any favorite parking garages with EV charging near lower haight amongst the tesla faithful?

I'm going to be making a first-time trip in my S85D from irvine --> SF this weekend, and also plan to make supercharger stops at buttonwillow, harris ranch, and dublin. I don't really want to do street parking (no front plate and prefer not to have my car broken into) - any favorite parking garages with EV charging near lower haight amongst the tesla faithful?
You can look into Luxe.com they will park your car and charge it.
I've used them and the service is great... Also reasonably priced.
Referral code MARK305 gives you a$20 credit.

Reactions: MarkoC
We just completed a trip to SF last week, and we used the Mountain View supercharger, it was a bit busy but we didn't have to wait and it had a full time Tesla rep there to organize charging. When we arrived in SF, our hotel had a valet service with and underground garage, so we just put our X in Valet Mode and everything was fine when we got the car back. I don't think I would want to park on the streets of SF for more than a few hours. We had plenty of charge left from Mt. View to get to Vacaville the next day so we did not have to charge while in SF. It looks like it might make sense to top off at the Fremont or Mt. View SC before going into the city.

It's a good idea to go into the city with at least 150 miles of range left so you can always get out safely.
I usually do this. However, there are lots of places to charge in SF. My favorite is Crissy Field which has lots of parking and a very nice beach near the Golden Gate Bridge. I also sometimes park overnight at Sutter-Stockton garage which has lots of free Chargepoint chargers (near Union Square).
Luxe.com will also pick up your car from anywhere in the city and park it in a garage with charging and deliver it back to you.

I will be doing a similar trip, please let me know how it goes. Will try to skip Dublin if possible