Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I trade up ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are going to buy a new Y at this point.. My advice is wait for something more significant to change. HW4 cameras/radar at a minimum. Or even better.. wait for the Juniper refresh to the Model Y. My best guess is the Juniper refresh will happen for the 2024 model year.. which should start production around October this year. So you are talking around a 6-month wait.
Waiting for the next big thing stops when?

I'm trading up from a Jan 21 build LR to a new performance model; currently awaiting delivery. Mainly for the new suspension. I don't ever use parking sensors; I back into my garage and can tell when to stop using the cameras and mirrors.
I'm also trading my 2021 MYLR for a 2023 MYP. Tesla is giving me $38k for my trade (MSM, 20", no other adds) with 22,000 miles.

When did you order? I ordered 4/20 and EDD still says April. All required tasks are completed and now I just wait.

Reactions: Noflash
This is my answer. The 2022 & 2023 are virtually identical inside and out.. with the major key difference being the lack of USS. Why trade the car you already own.. for another one that looks exactly like what you already have. IMO the most noticeable thing will be that new car payment. If the suspension upgrade is what you care about most.. look into aftermarket suspension solutions for your car. There are quite a few options that run in the $2,000-$3,000 range and will provide a better, more customizable ride than a 2023.

If you are going to buy a new Y at this point.. My advice is wait for something more significant to change. HW4 cameras/radar at a minimum. Or even better.. wait for the Juniper refresh to the Model Y. My best guess is the Juniper refresh will happen for the 2024 model year.. which should start production around October this year. So you are talking around a 6-month wait.

After that, some other new features will be on the newer model. That’s how cars work.

Going to y lr to y p and having money to burn would be the only reason I see valid

After that, some other new features will be on the newer model. That’s how cars work.

Going to y lr to y p and having money to burn would be the only reason I see valid

Waiting for the next big thing stops when?

I could not disagree more.

HW3 has been around for 4 years now. The Model 3 has been around for 6 years without a design refresh. The Model Y has been around for 4 years without a design refresh. We are talking about updates that have taken half a decade to occur. These updates have been so far apart, it would have been long enough to pay off your car loan before the next update occurred.

These are not features that get updated annually. Based on Tesla's history of the Model S/X.. these features will probably be around for the next 4-6 years before Tesla launches HW5.. or a next-generation Model Y. This is EXACTLY what makes getting them so significant.. and something actually worth waiting for.

Last edited:
  • Funny

HW3 has been around for 4 years now. The Model 3 has been around for 6 years without a design refresh. The Model Y has been around for 4 years without a design refresh. We are talking about updates that have taken half a decade to occur. These updates have been so far apart, it would have been long enough to pay off your car loan before the next update occurred.

These are not features that get updated annually. Based on Tesla's history of the Model S/X.. these features will probably be around for the next 4-6 years before Tesla launches HW5.. or a next-generation Model Y. This is EXACTLY what makes getting them so significant.. and something actually worth waiting for.
Only if you decide to buy FSD.

Only if you decide to buy FSD.
That's actually a great point!

One of the reasons I wouldn't bother with another 2020.. to current-production-2023 Model Y.. is that I just don't believe it will ever actually achieve FSD with HW3. At this point, that technology is already already 4 years old and Elon has gone on record to say the hardware will not be upgraded for FSD buyers.

Atleast waiting for HW4.0 renews my hope. Maybe it does actually happen with HW4.0. This then brings up the question of what happens to the resale value of Model Y's with HW3.

I'm not understanding the reliance on USS. When is this so necessary? Parking? It's not like it's some land yacht. Cameras in the back and side are pretty great. So, you only need it for pulling up close to something?
"I'm not understanding the reliance on cameras in the back and side. When is this so necessary? Parking? It's not like it's some land yacht. Rear-view and side-view mirrors work pretty great."

Do you see how ridiculous this sounds? Why rely on cameras when you already have 3 different mirrors on the car that work pretty great? I mean after all people have been backing their cars into garages using just mirrors for the past 75 years.. why do you need to rely on a camera for backing up? While we are at it.. Maybe we can all go back to hanging those tennis balls in our garages too!

The point is the technology was ALREADY there and worked absolutely awesome. To a large degree, it was accurate within inches which is what made it one of my favorite features. And redundancy is king! When the image on the cameras became distorted (rain, dirt, bright lights..), or the camera app sometimes was just a blank/black screen.. or someone touched the screen and the camera app disappeared.. those sensors gave me confidence any obstacles were still properly recognized.

Technology should progress.. not regress.. especially on a vehicle that prides itself on having top technology. It's practically an insult that something like a $20K Nissan or KIA has these features and Tesla thought it was a good idea to remove them. Not just remove them btw. But replace them with a worse solution. Even if you can't admit USS was awesome, it's pretty easy to look around and see just how many other people agree it's something they very much want.

Last edited:
  • Funny
"I'm not understanding the reliance on cameras in the back and side. When is this so necessary? Parking? It's not like it's some land yacht. Rear-view and side-view mirrors work pretty great."

Do you see how ridiculous this sounds? Why rely on cameras when you already have 3 different mirrors on the car that work pretty great? I mean after all people have been backing their cars into garages using just mirrors for the past 75 years.. why do you need to rely on a camera for backing up? While we are at it.. Maybe we can all go back to hanging those tennis balls in our garages too! I mean it works!

The point is the technology was ALREADY there and worked absolutely awesome. To a large degree, it was accurate within inches which is what made it one of my favorite features. And redundancy is king! When the image on the cameras was distorted (rain, mud, bright lights..) the sensors gave me confidence any obstacles were still properly recognized. Technology should progress.. not regress.. especially on a vehicle that prides itself on having top technology. It's practically an insult that something like a $20K Nissan or KIA has these features and Tesla thought it was a good idea to remove them.

Not just remove them btw. But replace them with a worse solution. Even if you can't admit USS was awesome, it's pretty easy to look around and see just how many other people agree it's something they very much want.
It is pretty lame that they removed USS and it does annoy me that Tesla removed a feature like that. However, I can't admit USS is pretty awesome because it's not. I don't ever use it and it's actually more of a nuisance to me than a help. I don't need it chiming and letting me know I'm too close for its comfort to the garage opening every time I back into my garage. My garage has carriage doors and I use my side mirrors to judge my clearance; it could not be easier, just look for air. Also I'm not expecting FSD to ever be more than just a cool halfway baked little gimmick to impress my friends even with HW5. Fool me once shame on you, me fool me HW5 times shame on me.

It is pretty lame that they removed USS and it does annoy me that Tesla removed a feature like that. However, I can't admit USS is pretty awesome because it's not. I don't ever use it and it's actually more of a nuisance to me than a help. I don't need it chiming and letting me know I'm too close for its comfort to the garage opening every time I back into my garage. My garage has carriage doors and I use my side mirrors to judge my clearance; it could not be easier, just look for air. Also I'm not expecting FSD to ever be more than just a cool halfway baked little gimmick to impress my friends even with HW5. Fool me once shame on you, me fool me HW5 times shame on me.
While Im a huge fan of USS.. I certainly agree in that user/owner should have the option to enable or disable things to suit their liking. You do make a point it should be defeatable or at least muted. In other cars I've owned the beeping can get annoying and there is usually a button to disable the feature and/or noise for people who just like for their car to be quiet at all times. This makes it even more interesting as Tesla has "Joe mode".

What is more concerning for me is this is the third time I believe Tesla has removed dedicated sensors and replaced it camera-based solutions that do not work as well. I believe automatic wipers were the first to have their sensors removed, then switch to the camera only. Then radar-based AP was removed and replaced with Vision-based AP.. which still disappoints me daily. With the following distance now set to a maximum of 2.. every morning in DC traffic I am constantly cut off by cars jumping in front of me.. which causes my Y to slam on brakes and pisses off the person behind me. Who then does what? Proceeds to get around me and jump in front of me, repeating the process over and over again. And now finally the removal of USS.. with the goal to reduce the bottom line cost of the vehicle. From what I've read Tesla is able to save $144 per vehicle by using camera-based parking sensors.. by removing the dedicated USS hardware. So its really a change design to cut the cost of the vehicle, not a change designed to make the vehicle better/safer to drive. I imagine if many people could just pay an extra $144 to keep the USS as-was.. it would be a popular option on 2023's.

I also slightly agree with your comments on HW4. I mean after all.. Elon has been promising FSD for what 8 years now?

That said FSD isn't a question of "if". It's a question of "when". It already exists and works somewhat okay with the HW3 suite of hardware + FSD Beta. It already exists and works MUCH better on vehicles like Waymo driverless taxis primarily due to the extra sensors and processing power. Knowing both of those things gives me the confidence to think Tesla will offer true FSD one day.. just a matter of the right hardware + right software. Granted the answer for "when" that happens is still very much up for grabs. Could be next year.. could be 10 years from now.. could be 25 years from now for the real deal government-approved SAE L5.. hands off, driver not paying attention, take a nap while the car takes you from point A to B.

Considering how far Tesla has gotten with HW3. And that the car really does attempt to drive itself.. just poorly under the right conditions. I'm hoping that HW4 greatly improves how many times it makes the right decision under all conditions.

Last edited:
You are exactly the type of person that makes online forums terrible for open conversation.

Nothing to add to the actual conversation.. just a constant stream of negative comments and silly emojis designed to interrupt said conversation.
Do you see how ridiculous this sounds? Why rely on cameras when you already have 3 different mirrors on the car that work pretty great? I mean after all people have been backing their cars into garages using just mirrors for the past 75 years.. why do you need to rely on a camera for backing up? While we are at it.. Maybe we can all go back to hanging those tennis balls in our garages too!

@Daekwan,

This is probably a mistake to try and reason with you, but here goes.

I guess this started when I thumbed down your post advising to not trade in now and wait for hw4 or project Juniper. It's not a personal attack, I just disagree with you. That's what the thumb means. Then you thumbed down my question about the value of USS. It was a question. Some posters answered it and I gave them a thumbs up of agreement and understanding. You responded by calling me "ridiculous". I found that mildly amusing. Then you said I make forums "terrible". Ouch!

You seem to have strong opinions and are passionate about them. That's great, but I don't think you'll always be able to convince others of your arguments. It's okay to disagree. We come here to exchange information and overall it's valuable.

I traded my '22 MYLR in for a '23 MYP because the ride is better, the power is super, and the price is hard to say no to. It would be great if it had USS, but I won't miss it. You can't argue with me not missing it. The price of the MYP is cheaper than I bought my MYLR for AND there are Federal and State tax credits now. It's hard to pass up. I'm sure the upcoming improvements will be desirable, but all I want is a better ride and that fun acceleration. I'm sure project Juniper will be cool, but we have no idea when it comes out. Tesla is not great with timelines. I try not to buy the first year of a new model.

You have some good points, but you can't persuade everyone to think just like you. Celebrate diversity of opinion. Ease up on the attacks. It makes for a better everything. Peace.

I back into my garage and can tell when to stop using the cameras and mirrors.
I have to back into charging spaces and I use the camera and the vision feature. I find the vision is a bit more conservative, showing me I'm a bit closer than I really am. I also "calibrated" the backup camera. I find that where the bottom of the image hits the ground is about a foot from the rear of the car. Because of the color calibration of the camera, green lines delineating EV spots do not show up in darkness.

The point is the technology was ALREADY there and worked absolutely awesome. To a large degree, it was accurate within inches which is what made it one of my favorite features. And redundancy is king! When the image on the cameras became distorted (rain, dirt, bright lights..), or the camera app sometimes was just a blank/black screen.. or someone touched the screen and the camera app disappeared.. those sensors gave me confidence any obstacles were still properly recognized.

Technology should progress.. not regress.. especially on a vehicle that prides itself on having top technology. It's practically an insult that something like a $20K Nissan or KIA has these features and Tesla thought it was a good idea to remove them. Not just remove them btw. But replace them with a worse solution. Even if you can't admit USS was awesome, it's pretty easy to look around and see just how many other people agree it's something they very much want.
That's why you get $15000 plus $7500 tax credit discount. I will take that much discount over the USS all day long. 3 mirrors and back up camera is more than enough to park anywhere on earth.

@Daekwan,

I traded my '22 MYLR in for a '23 MYP because the ride is better, the power is super, and the price is hard to say no to. It would be great if it had USS, but I won't miss it. You can't argue with me not missing it. The price of the MYP is cheaper than I bought my MYLR for AND there are Federal and State tax credits now. It's hard to pass up. I'm sure the upcoming improvements will be desirable, but all I want is a better ride and that fun acceleration. I'm sure project Juniper will be cool, but we have no idea when it comes out. Tesla is not great with timelines. I try not to buy the first year of a new model.

Now that's what Im talking about!!! Finally some real conversation instead of emojis!!!

How much better would you say the new suspension is compared to your old car? Seems some people think its a big difference, and some people think it's more of the same. The stiff suspension of my 2021 is something I've always wanted to address. That said.. the most likely scenario is that I end up replacing some of the suspension bits from 2023.. with my 2021.

And yeah.. pretty much my dream is to trade to an MYP. It's something I've wanted to do since the first month of ownership.. over 2 years ago. Almost immediately I was addicted to the acceleration and only wanted more of it. That said.. I stick by what I said. I just can't see myself trading the car I already have.. for one that looks exactly like it lol. I guess part of me is hoping for Tesla really does make so pretty recognizable changes to the 2024.. including HW4 to help get me off the fence. The current design just feels old already. Hell... I'd even be happy with the new Quicksilver or Midnight Cherry paint options from Berlin.. but Tesla still has the same freaking 5 colors available for the Model Y that have been around for 4 years now :(

That's why you get $15000 plus $7500 tax credit discount. I will take that much discount over the USS all day long. 3 mirrors and back up camera is more than enough to park anywhere on earth.
I certainly agree the price is significantly cheaper for 2023. But that $7,500 tax credit aint going anywhere. And every source is pointing to Tesla inventory piling up again.. which means more incentives (free supercharger miles, discounted software, deeper price cuts) are probably coming before the end of the year. Probably before the end of the quarter to be honest. Since the subject of this thread is "Should I trade up". My answer is yes you should, just wait for something more significant to happen because the longer you can wait.. the sweeter the deal will probably get for buyers in the 2023 calendar year.

Hell Tesla just dropped the price of the 3rd row for the Model Y this morning!

I just feel like something *big* is around the corner for the Model Y. Feel the same about the Model 3 too.

Last edited:
Now that's what Im talking about!!! Finally some real conversation instead of emojis!!!

How much better would you say the new suspension is compared to your old car? Seems some people think its a big difference, and some people think it's more of the same. The stiff suspension of my 2021 is something I've always wanted to address. That said.. the most likely scenario is that I end up replacing some of the suspension bits from 2023.. with my 2021.

And yeah.. pretty much my dream is to trade to an MYP. It's something I've wanted to do since the first month of ownership.. over 2 years ago. Almost immediately I was addicted to the acceleration and only wanted more of it. That said.. I stick by what I said. I just can't see myself trading the car I already have.. for one that looks exactly like it lol. I guess part of me is hoping for Tesla really does make so pretty recognizable changes to the 2024.. including HW4 to help get me off the fence. The current design just feels old already. Hell... I'd even be happy with the new Quicksilver or Midnight Cherry paint options from Berlin.. but Tesla still has the same freaking 5 colors available for the Model Y that have been around for 4 years now :(
The 2023 MYP suspension is better than my 2022 MYLR over potholes and asphalt tar strips over roads. That's the only comparison I can make. I also noticed the cabin "booming" noise was less as well (see ear pain thread). Though I still see there are complaints about this on 2023 models here.

I also made the mistake of not wrapping it the first time and had several paint chips. Not changing color, but I plan on getting a matte wrap to protect and distinguish from all the other blue Model Ys on the road. Seems like they are becoming as common as Camrys around here.

I'm well familiar with waiting for the next best thing, but the price drops sold me. As far as future prices its like guessing the stock market. With so many drops recently we could be getting an increase soon. Who knows? I'm good with it either way. They adjust the prices to keep a steady flow of Teslas on the road and that's a good thing.

Emojis help with intonation! 😉

That how car manufacturers do it. Offer couple updates and mods every years and new model redesign every 4-5 years. Except for Toyota 4Runners and Tacoma. They are going about 20years with the same design. I friend told me, it might be old to a owner but it’s new to the buyer