Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should New Owners Get EAP, FSD, or Stick with Basic AP?

Should New Owners Get EAP, FSD, or Stick with Basic AP?

• EAP

Votes: 45 22.1%
  • FSD

Votes: 14 6.9%
  • Basic AP

Votes: 145 71.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buy car with basic AP ….. drive a while …… subscribe to FSD ……. Drive a while ……. Then decide if EAP or FSD is what you want. That’s what I did, and ended up buying EAP after a year or so. I do a 1500 mile road trip to visit grandkids about every 6 weeks. I just sit back, relax, and confirm lane changes every now and then.

Buy car with basic AP ….. drive a while …… subscribe to FSD ……. Drive a while ……. Then decide if EAP or FSD is what you want. That’s what I did, and ended up buying EAP after a year or so. I do a 1500 mile road trip to visit grandkids about every 6 weeks. I just sit back, relax, and confirm lane changes every now and then.

I have a 21 Model S LR with FSD. I rarely use any feature on it. I was just wondering how others felt.

Just got back from a 500mi round trip and auto lane change was pretty much flawless. But yeah, summons needs work. Empty lots maybe, but the few times I tried it in a busy lot I gave up
Just got back from a 500mi round trip and auto lane change was pretty much flawless. But yeah, summons needs work. Empty lots maybe, but the few times I tried it in a busy lot I gave up
Yes, auto lane change was flawless for me too. Is it worth $15k? No

Technically EAP contains all these, though Smart Summon is essentially useless.

Definitely worth getting EAP as it has almost all the usable features of FSD for 40% of the price.

Now that the USSs are being removed, Tesla announced that only navigate on autopilot and auto lane change will be available for the foreseeable future. Autopark, auto summons and summons are disable for now.

I would most likely still get EAP if they were all available at the moment.

The answer depends on your situation.

Are you comfortable being driven? I know individuals who intensely dislike another human driving them around. I know many drivers who never use cruise control. If you fall into either of those camps, save your money. Don't buy FSD or EAP.

If you currently use cruise control whenever possible, then EAP or FSD might work for you, but see below.

Do you plan to finance your purchase? If so realize that a luxury once sampled becomes a necessity. Your future self will thank you for minimizing debt and maximizing savings by not sampling EAP or FSD yet.

Assuming you plan to pay cash, if the cost of EAP or FSD is just another toy expense feel free to buy EAP or FSD.

If you expect to be an elderly or otherwise impaired driver before you sell the car you are buying, then you should seriously consider buying FSD. While nobody knows if FSD will ever greatly exceed a human driver's skill, an impaired driver supervising FSD (non-Beta) already exceeds an impaired driver without driver assistance.

Personally, I hope/expect to own my ordered in 2021, delivered in 2022, Model Y past 2032, by which time I will have spent years as an elderly driver. FSD cost $10,000 when I ordered, and I expected the cost to go up. Absent some amazing rejuvenation breakthrough, I think my peak abilities as a driver are in my past. So buying FSD will hopefully increase my total safety.

The fact that FSD has already gone up by $5,000 since I purchased it certainly gives me a warm feeling. Nothing else I've purchased this year has already gone up by 50%

I am very happy with my FSD purchases for $3,000 and $2,000 (in addition to the amounts I paid for EAP). I don’t know if I would throw down $15,000 now for FSD considering the AP is free. I’ve actually considered removing it from my Model X order (and it only costs $10,000 on that). I plan on keeping it on my trucks whenever they come in (for $7000).

My 2020 M3 has FSD (cost $6,000 at the time0 and I'll use it to get me to an exit ramp. Auto lane change works most of the time. Neither of those "advantages" are worth the extra cost to me for either EAP or FSD, so I've got a new X on order with Basic AP. Once FSD becomes fully functional I would probably opt for a monthly fee for those times when I'm on a long road trip and have to navigate on city streets. If I'm still around when cars become fully autonomous, I'll probably opt for that for safety's sake.

It makes zero sense to buy FSD, unless you are going to use all the time for at least 6 years. That's how long it currently takes to come out ahead financially if you buy it outright vs. pay $200 monthly.
Buy the car with basic autopilot, then activate FSD via the subscription when you want it. It *might* be worth it to buy enhanced autopilot, but those features won't be substantially improved compared to when the same package was less than half the price.

If you really want to "own" FSD then the most sensible option is to buy a used vehicle that already has it enabled.

It's looking more like Tesla doesn't want new purchasers to buy FSD so they are pricing it high enough so that the take rate will be low and push more people to subscribe instead. But, Tesla can still activate FSD on pre-owned vehicles which gives them a way of inflating their value for basically no additional cost to them.

I bought FSD with my new LR MY 2023, I think the price of the FSD will go up significantly in the next 4 to 5 years. At that time when I trade-in this car for a new one, I hope I will have a better resale value.
It won't help resale value much. I saw somebody post elsewhere on this forum that they got quoted $17.5k for a Model 3 trade-in that had FSD enabled. So either Tesla doesn't value the vehicle hardware that much on a trade-in, or they value FSD very little on a trade-in.

They really should make FSD attached to your account and not the vehicle. I’d be much more interested in purchasing if that was the case. Plus it would keep people coming back to Tesla and buying their cars.

Also, why would Tesla pay you any more for FSD on a trade in? They can literally push a button and add it for free lol.

They really should make FSD attached to your account and not the vehicle. I’d be much more interested in purchasing if that was the case. Plus it would keep people coming back to Tesla and buying their cars.

Also, why would Tesla pay you any more for FSD on a trade in? They can literally push a button and add it for free lol.

It actually states on their trade in valuations that it "accounts for FSD" on their offer. HA!

• Funny
Reactions: RavenYZF-R6