Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla be worried about the Taycan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyway, while in a way admirable, this blind brand loyalty will not keep the lights on for long. Tesla has a lot of catching up to do at the top end of the market and it has run out of time. It would be fantastic if they had some super-secret Model S revamp, just ready to hit production, but there's a slim chance of that. They can no longer compete at that price point, they know that and that's probably why there has been no investment in the S/X duo in a long time. The best they can do is kill it with the Model Y at some $40K+ and hope that's enough to avoid disaster.

Sadly............the inconvenient truth. I still have my fingers crossed though.

I don't think Tesla has anything to be worried about right now. Their supercharger network is light years ahead of anything the competition has right now. Its a huge competitive advantage right now that Tesla has. Its their "moat".
I agree it is their moat. but then it makes me wonder why elon has talked openly about sharing it with other manufacturers to 'promote' EV adoption.
why give up ( or offer to share) your silver bullet ?

Why? Remember, Tesla WANTS the EV competition to succeed. I think they have more critical fish to fry and I can’t see them doing a new S until 2022 earliest.
Elon wants to go to Mars and needs the cash.

SpaceX to fly to Mars, Boring Company to mine and live underground building, Tesla to travel inside and on top of Mars, Nerolink to control the AI and control the workers from going crazy on Mars, etc, etc.... Or we want bragging right.

• Funny
Reactions: Solor and bhzmark
Elon wants to go to Mars and needs the cash.

SpaceX to fly to Mars, Boring Company to mine and live underground building, Tesla to travel inside and on top of Mars, Nerolink to control the AI and control the workers from going crazy on Mars, etc, etc.... Or we want bragging right.
Oh, I see. Just making an S update would generate a ton of profit. Then of course they should do it!

Reactions: ElectricLee
A year? How do you figure? Maybe you are assuming some sort of partnership with an existing company, but otherwise... you have to find the locations that are suitable. You have to enter into agreements. You have to get the requisite permits and then you have to build.

Tesla has more than 12,000 SC world wide at more than 1,400 locations. Just think of the time it would take to source 1,400 locations that want chargers?

I totally agree with you on the range as well, I just think that is an easier fix than the infrastructure. My car came with a 290 mile range (at 100%) and at -30 celcius, that goes down to under 180 miles. The Taycan would be a 140 mile range car in a good Canadian winter.

Toyota alone has like 1500 dealerships in the US, it wouldn't be hard to make some space and put in a charging station at each dealership if they really want to invest in it. If the market is there for EVs, the dealerships will put it in themselves.

I don't think lack of self driving is an issue for Porsche. Presumably people buy it either for the driving dynamics or the badge.

The range is pretty pitiful though for the price point, it seems like more of a compliance car at this point.

@TeeEmCee - I'm a bit confused by your map. What does it show? I am assuming that it shows some high powered charger? What kind? How many stations? Where are they located? Are they free or paid? Is there any notice of how busy they are prior to your arrival?

Are they from the same company? If they are paid, how do they accept payment?

Dont worry about T-Em-C he has no argument that's worthy comment- What highend EVs are there? If Tesla were to build a car for what other car manufactures charge for their highend EVs Tesla could likely double the range and add creature comforts to out do all of em with change to spare.

Cool story but where do I charge it if I am going to LA to Vegas?

Is it not going to have a CCS capability? There is a 4 station CCS in Baker, so I assume a stop there would be easy enough. I think the CCS network between LA and San Fran is filled out too. It's really middle America that needs to be caught up.

@TeeEmCee - I'm a bit confused by your map. What does it show? I am assuming that it shows some high powered charger? What kind? How many stations? Where are they located? Are they free or paid? Is there any notice of how busy they are prior to your arrival?

Plugshare shows availability for CCS chargers, kW, number of stations, as well as the network and costs. I believe the EVGo app also shows station availability (the Baker stations are EVGo). Pligshare also shows useful info like what floor of the garage it's on, even for Superchargers, it is a great app.

If you have never looked at the 3rd party charging stations (which it sounds like you maybe haven't) they are always good to have as a backup plan for Tesla's network. (Once Tesla gets us a CCS adapter it will be even better). I already have cards from all the 3rd party networks and have used them fairly often during my travels.

Current info for the Baker CCS station. Green= available. You can even get historical busy times, so you can plan to travel during less busy hours. Would be nice if Tesla added that info to our app.

Screenshot_20190812-123757_EVgo.jpg
Screenshot_20190812-123809_EVgo.jpg

Last edited:
Tesla has a lot of catching up to do at the top end of the market and it has run out of time.

It is the other way around, the other manufacturers have a lot of catching up to do! Last time I checked is that there is no other car that can match the specs of a 2012 Model S and Tesla progressed ever since. And while the first Telsa's had a very mediocre build quality and reliability they have come a long way. I would like to see a fair comparison between a Porsche and Tesla in terms of build quality. I think you will be hard pressed to notice any difference what so ever. In fact I bet Tesla might have even surpassed other manufacturers in that regard as per information given by Bob Lutz.

Public chargers. That's the travel plan. Have you seen any available public chargers in the last 6 months. I know I sure haven't unless I wanted to get in line and play with my foreskin for an hr each time.
I think I could count on one hand the number of times I've seen non-Tesla public DC fast chargers actually being used along major travel routes in California.

Was talking about those new Electrify America stations coming online all over the place. I tried one and it's quite amazing. It had 350kW capability, which is something the Taycan should be able to make use of. My current car can only use half of that power, yet it's much quicker 0-80% than what I experienced with the Tesla. So yes, they're coming and they're coming way sooner than Tesla originally deployed theirs.

I've been planning a long trip (some 4K miles) and, along the entire way, there is only one area where I'd have to rely on a non-EA charger (but there's one such station under construction). They're not as plenty as the superchargers yet, but they're getting there reasonably fast.

IMO - Porsche is placing the Taycan as a 4 door sports coupe with driving dynamic that still connects the driver to the wheels.
While they are bench-marking some Tesla traits such as battery performance, it's clear to me that the Taycan still place a premium on the driver's input and firmly staying right in between the lines of the Porsche's DNA.

Tesla has focused a lot of their efforts to add more & more tech to its car & to literally solve driving issues with technology vs. Porsche - who has tried to maintain its sporting driving dynamic while being powered by li-ion batts.

I see a lot of old world traits still being adhered to with Porsche (driving dynamics, solid build) - but yet can't help & be impressed by the early repeatable high speed performance runs & the great looks.

I don't think the Taycan is an endurance car just like I don't think the 3DP is a true performance car designed from the ground up.
Both can coexist & serves different owners.

Last edited:
I think I could count on one hand the number of times I've seen non-Tesla public DC fast chargers actually being used along major travel routes in California.

That's cause there were not enough of them before the VW penitence and Teslas don't do CCS. Plus, what EVs were available up to now? Pretty much just the Bolt. That's changing.

Would love to see Tesla join the rest of the mfgs and switch to CCS. They're sort of doing that in Europe anyway, starting with the Model 3.
As much as it pains me to say that, since the CCS Combo is an abomination vs Tesla's sleek plug (sort of VHS to Tesla's Betamax), interoperability would be preferrable to fragmentation, despite a crappier plug.

Elon Musk recently said that Model S & X are no longer Tesla's priority. The bulk of Tesla's development efforts will be going into Model 3/Y platform. This directly contradicts what Musk said just a year ago, that S & X will always have the most advanced tech. Nope. He changed his mind. Like he has done about a lot of commitments he made.

The writing is on the wall. Model S & X will eventually be discontinued. The competition for S & X is coming, yes, but Tesla has moved the goal posts to the Model 3/Y. S & X are going to be history soon. I certainly wouldn't be buying one now.

I hardly ever supercharge. If I'm going to be evaluating cars in the $75k+ price range you can bet I'll be focusing on interior and build quality. These are two categories where Tesla is unable (or unwilling) to compete.