Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla charge "going rate" for electricity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you on why argue about this and don't think they would ever back out of it. To clear the record and put the matter to rest however, Tesla has used "Free Unlimited Supercharging" to promote the cars and used those exact words. I don't have any online brochures but here's a quote from their 11/7/16 update to their supercharger program blog post (link to full blog post below):

"Update: Because of high demand and to give an opportunity to those customers who could not order over the holidays, we are extending it so customers can place an order for a Model S or X until January 15th, 2017 and take delivery by April 15, 2017 to receive free unlimited Supercharging."

An Update to Our Supercharging Program

And in their Support area on Supercharging they make this statement:

"If your Tesla was ordered by January 15, 2017, it comes with free Supercharger access for the life of the car. You will not pay for Supercharger use but idle fees may be assessed if your vehicle remains connected to a Supercharger after the charge session is complete.

Supercharging

@stopcrazypp Here's a pic of my sticker - if you look at the lower right side of the "As Configured" column, you'll see it clearly states, "Unlimited Supercharging - Included" :
View attachment 227534
Okay, so this seems to be a recent thing from when they did their transition to paid superchargers in late 2016/early 2017. I can say with certainty that cars before that did not have the "unlimited" wording, nor did they use it in their advertising before that (there are buried instances, for example a software update where they use that wording, but their advertising for superchargers don't mention it).

Had this argument a long time ago on this thread (starting around here), where people arguing for "unlimited" had a hard time finding that in the advertising:
Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

I agree that this is a moot point given Tesla already decided on the current policy in the same timeframe and is unlikely to walk back.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Again, that's already done in large part with the new supercharging fees for cars ordered after January 15. I've not surveyed every state, but it seems that in many states, the charge is on a per minute basis. Once you get above 80%, that minute delivers less and less in charging, so you increasingly paying more for less. It doesn't take long before those electrons get pretty expensive.

For those where supercharging is charged by the kWh, it seems that Tesla is charging at least the "going rate." Take OP's home state of California as an example. While OP appears to be paying 48¢/kWh, THIS SITE states that the average rate in California is 15.34¢/kWh (according to the U.S. Dept. of Energy) and the average rate in OP's home city of Whittier is 15.98¢/kWh. Tesla's supercharging fee in California is a flat 20¢/kWh, a substantial margin over either average. While I understand that tier pricing may very well raise costs well above the average for either Tesla or the average homeowner, it does not seem that Tesla is providing power at such a discount to draw folks in.

We still do not know what sort of allowance, if any, Tesla will include with the Model 3. Heck, Tesla may not even know at this point (I wonder what sort of hand wringing happens in those meetings). I cannot imagine that it would be more than the S/X allowance of 400 kWh/yr, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were less.

Those that never charge below the annual allowance likely will not be much of a factor because they just don't do that much supercharging. Those with FUSC will become less and less of a factor as their number contracts and the supercharging network expands. In the end, there just aren't going to be that many "Larry Locals" or FUSC owners around when compared to the supercharging population. Everyone else is paying up.

As a footnote, I still disagree with OP continuing to refer to this charging as "free" or "for free" as if it were some sort of mooching and not included in the price of the car.
Thanks TexLaw.
I think you and others have settled this issue for me. Thank you.
Just a couple comments-- "free" does have that unintended meaning to it-- I'm good with "unlimited" rather than "free"-- or "no added cost" instead of "free."
I'm paying 48c a kW during "peak" times, which is M-F 8 am to 6 pm. I'll check with SCE but I think the lowest we pay at "super off peak" (10 pm to 6 am) is about 26c a kW.
I see it as "free" (no cost to us) because I placed 13 solar panels on the roof last fall, and only charge the cars after 10 pm at night, so our power bills are zero so far. Plan is TOU-D-A.
Thanks Again
Vern

Vern did you see this thread just a few hours ago that Telsa called the poster to tell them about a limited time offer for Free Unlimited Supercharging on the purchase of an S or X now? New unlimited lifetime supercharger promotion I don't think we've received an email or call on this yet to verify but we're going to a Tesla Weekend Social this weekend and wondering if they will mention it there. Maybe the calls are going out to those on a Model 3 waitlist. Anyway Certainly would go to show that Tesla doesn't have a problem with offering this program to buyers.

An aside, "free" as in this case is intended to be free to the owner who buys their car, ie Tesla absorbs the cost. Still think it's factored into the car's price.

Oh and Telsa is apparently grandfathering in newly purchased vehicles as well... Free Supercharging

Last edited:
Yum. Hat. I admit I was wrong. Quite surprised.

The My Tesla section that previously showed my 400kWh credits, with 30kWh used... now has this...

Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging, including your current Tesla and any new Model S or Model X you purchase. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.

• Informative
Thanks for your thoughts on this divisive issue. But Tesla does need to charge us for the power.

We do need to pay for the power. I don't see another way to ration it fairly. I've thrown out a couple suggestions.

Any ideas on how to charge for the energy fairly?

Just saying you don't want to ever pay for electricity isn't helpful and won't reduce unneeded charging.

I don't know who provides your electricity, but here is how it works in San Diego. If you own an EV or PHEV, you qualify for the 'TOU 2' (time of use 2) rate structure. This means that if you charge between midnight and 5am you will be billed 19 cents/KWh in May thru October, and 20 cents/KWh for the remaining 6 months. (annual average is 19 1/2 cents/KWh)

EV Rates | San Diego Gas & Electric

Scannerman

• Informative
I don't know who provides your electricity, but here is how it works in San Diego. If you own an EV or PHEV, you qualify for the 'TOU 2' (time of use 2) rate structure. This means that if you charge between midnight and 5am you will be billed 19 cents/KWh in May thru October, and 20 cents/KWh for the remaining 6 months. (annual average is 19 1/2 cents/KWh)

EV Rates | San Diego Gas & Electric

Scannerman
Here's what we pay. A/c is 45c per kW. We have Southern California Edison.
TOU-D-A-Rate-Table-r2_12-22-16-1.jpg

Interesting announcement: Tesla retroactively extends free unlimited Supercharging to all current vehicles

In a surprising move, Tesla is now extending free Supercharging to all current vehicles. In other words, all current Tesla owners up to today have access to free Supercharging for the life of their vehicle. Tesla had previously announced the change of the program to a paid model after 400 kWh per year, which was supposed to take place starting January 1st. It later extended the deadline for two weeks before making the change and it is now retroactively extending the deadline to today. The move seems to be due to the new referral program incentive which enables owners to give free Supercharging through five new referrals of the Model S and Model X. Tesla sent us the following statement about the new program:

“We heard from our customers that free, unlimited Supercharging was one of their favorite reasons to refer a friend to buy a Tesla, so we’re bringing it back for Model S and Model X owners through our referral program, which we update periodically. Beginning today, existing owners can give free, unlimited Supercharging to up to five friends by sharing their referral code, and all existing Tesla owners who purchase a new Model S or Model X will receive free, unlimited Supercharging too.