Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla Reconsider Policy re: Credit for 19" Sig|Perf Wheels?

Is it a good policy to not provide a credit to Sig & Perf buyers who select 19" rims?

• I feel it is an unfair/unwise policy.

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • I feel it is a fair/good policy.

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • I don't feel strongly either way.

Votes: 34 34.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not offering a credit when opting for 19" rims on Sig & Perf; good policy or unwise/unfair poicy?

Let's help Tesla decide.

My thoughts: From a stock a holder and a reservation holder perspective I believe a credit should be offered.
From a manufacturing/efficiency/simplicity standpoint I think it is very smart for Tesla to start with the Sig. Model; fewer variables to complicate things/higher price point etc. It makes perfect sense to me that options such as the tech package, air suspension etc. would not be changeable or eligable for a credit. Tire/rims on the other hand are so easy to change at the factory that is just doesn't seem worth creating the bad feelings and mess of "wheel trading" that will ensue if a credit is not offered. Instead of losing $3,500 many people will order thier sig. / perf with 21" rims planning to swap them with owners of 19" rims.

This is a tough one and I think Tesla Motors will find a solutions to this question.

If you do not finalize the sales agreement within 30 days of being notified, there is an automatic deferral. This is according to Tesla. And if not, then I'll cancel, which will be Tesla's loss. There are plenty of cars out there. I ordered it because I liked the internet connectivity concept. Every manufacturer is starting to jump on that now.

I don't understand why a difference of $3,500 (and for Tesla the cost savings from 21" to 19" will actually be less, so a discount would definitely be less than $ 3,500) on a car that costs almost $100,000 would be reason to cancel an order. We're talking about 3% difference! I really don't understand why you would take this standpoint, unless you're already having other doubts about buying this car.

You are saying there are plenty of cars out there. That doesn't make sense. If you want a Tesla Model S, you want an electric car. And there's really only one out there (and maybe the Fisker Karma). I cannot imagine the choice being between a Model S or a BMW5/Lexus GS/Mercedes E/etc.

I don't understand why a difference of $3,500 (and for Tesla the cost savings from 21" to 19" will actually be less, so a discount would definitely be less than $ 3,500) on a car that costs almost $100,000 would be reason to cancel an order. We're talking about 3% difference!
It's not about the price relative to the car, it's relative to the option being purchased. At $8,500, the perf option is in my wheel house of price/value. At $12,000, it's not.

I'm likely buying the S regardless, but the options I get, including the perf, depend on the price/value ratio of each option.

You are saying there are plenty of cars out there. That doesn't make sense. If you want a Tesla Model S, you want an electric car.
You're using your value system in that judgement. It's not a value system that matches how folks like myself and swegman (and a decent number of others judging by the poll) are looking at things. And the views run along a continuum, since swegman's looking at canceling completely where I'd still get the base model.

That's not to say one value system is better than another, just that what we measure and how we value various items aren't the same.

Last edited:
I think your right. While I have not been promised any particular outcome, I been have informed recently that Tesla is indeed discussing this policy at the very highest levels. Hopefully, we will have some good news on this sometime soon.

I think this is a values question. If you are trying to maximize revenue you don't give a refund for a lower price option. If you are trying to maximize the value of your customer base, you charge them for what you deliver.

My experience in the startup I was with is that we favored maximizing the value of our customer base. Since the customers felt we treated them well, they had our backs. They were our greatest advocates in recommending our product; they responded to the press that there was no finer company to do business with. Startups inevitably run into the issues, I'd much rather have zealots for customers. My conclusion is the refund is probably trivial in comparison to the value of a satisfied and energized customer base brings.

Its not the $3500 for the tires that I object to. FYI, I'm willing to pay $5,100+ for the Tesla Red color (in comparison to getting the Performance Production model). What I object to is that all the Tesla people (sales and tech people in NY, DC, CA headquarters, etc) advise against getting the 21 inch wheels and tires, yet they made it "standard equipment". If they don't recommend the tires/wheels, they should not be making it standard (basing the price of the car on those tires/wheels) and then say you can delete it but you get no credit.

Lets not forget that the 21 inch tires/wheels will also result in an approximate 10% reduction in cruising range. This is not my guess. This is based on what Tesla tech support people have told me. Most people would be interested in maximizing cruising range. The majority of the american public has range anixity. They are concerned with how far one can drive on a charge. Making standard items that will reduce the cruise range does not help eliminate such fear. It is such fear that keeps electric cars from taking off.

I think this is a values question. If you are trying to maximize revenue you don't give a refund for a lower price option. If you are trying to maximize the value of your customer base, you charge them for what you deliver.

My experience in the startup I was with is that we favored maximizing the value of our customer base. Since the customers felt we treated them well, they had our backs. They were our greatest advocates in recommending our product; they responded to the press that there was no finer company to do business with. Startups inevitably run into the issues, I'd much rather have zealots for customers. My conclusion is the refund is probably trivial in comparison to the value of a satisfied and energized customer base brings.

+1 (needed more characters to qualify as a real post)