Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show of hands… Adaptive Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many new Model S owners out there can actually FEEL the difference between “Sport” and “Comfort “? I know I can’t.… even though Tesla Service says it is functioning normally. No matter what I do with the suspension controls, my ride is the same… punishingly harsh. Yet, from these forums and YouTube, I see that many of you think the suspension is great. As this is probably one of the most sophisticated suspensions ever put in a car, I have trouble believing that mine is “functioning normally “. I think the key objective question here is “can you actually FEEL a difference in ride quality when you change suspension modes?” (By ”feel” I mean you KNOW it changed, if you just THINK it changed then it didn’t). It would really help me and, I know, a number of others out there to find out if our suspensions are screwed up or if that’s just the way they are. Thanks for any input you can provide.

Hi guys! Sorry… I’ve been a little distracted for the last few months. But, in that time, I’ve refined my thinking and produced a new video detailing the problem. First, I have to comment on Doug’s feeling that only early MS refresh cars are affected. This is a SOFTWARE issue. Early cars use the same software as later cars. They’re all the same. Also, everyone has the same “numbers“… those are the “bottom line“ of shock settings. As to the continuing sales of cars with this awful ride, there are no test rides available yet… I believe that Tesla WILL start losing sales over this issue when they are. (I took a ride in the Mercedes EQS. This is Mercedes’ answer to the MS... same type of suspension. WOW ! I would be ecstatic if my MS rode like that!) As you and Maaz demonstrated when you met to compare your cars, two people can have POLAR OPPOSITE opinions of the ride of the SAME car. Thus, the owners who really LIKE the ride and are SURE that it’s working perfectly. (I’m still mystified, though, that they say they can feel huge changes when they switch modes).
Anyway, here’s the new video… half the length and twice the info. The objective this time is to get as many copies of it as possible sent to higher-ups at Tesla. I’ve listed the addresses of a few. If you know of anyone else in a position at Tesla who could do something about this issue, by all means, list their addresses in the comments, and send them the video. If they are INUNDATED with this video, they might take it seriously.

Glad you are back!

Upvote 0
I have a Plaid and the wifey has a Y Performance. The Plaid is about 10 times more comfortable in any setting. I understand they have changed the Y's suspension since she got hers, which is number 426 off the line. FWIW, she's had no issues with her car except for drivers side window motor had to be replaced.
The fact that the MS rides better than the MY has nothing to do with the topic of discussion here. Of course it rides better. But that does not mean the MS suspension is working as advertised/intended.

Upvote 0
Hi guys! Sorry… I’ve been a little distracted for the last few months. But, in that time, I’ve refined my thinking and produced a new video detailing the problem. First, I have to comment on Doug’s feeling that only early MS refresh cars are affected. This is a SOFTWARE issue. Early cars use the same software as later cars. They’re all the same. Also, everyone has the same “numbers“… those are the “bottom line“ of shock settings. As to the continuing sales of cars with this awful ride, there are no test rides available yet… I believe that Tesla WILL start losing sales over this issue when they are. (I took a ride in the Mercedes EQS. This is Mercedes’ answer to the MS... same type of suspension. WOW ! I would be ecstatic if my MS rode like that!) As you and Maaz demonstrated when you met to compare your cars, two people can have POLAR OPPOSITE opinions of the ride of the SAME car. Thus, the owners who really LIKE the ride and are SURE that it’s working perfectly. (I’m still mystified, though, that they say they can feel huge changes when they switch modes).
Anyway, here’s the new video… half the length and twice the info. The objective this time is to get as many copies of it as possible sent to higher-ups at Tesla. I’ve listed the addresses of a few. If you know of anyone else in a position at Tesla who could do something about this issue, by all means, list their addresses in the comments, and send them the video. If they are INUNDATED with this video, they might take it seriously.

Excellent analysis and summary. Sending emails and opening a service ticket (again).

Hopefully someone decides this is worthy of a class action lawsuit. This was an advertised feature, it is one of the main reasons I opted to purchase the vehicle, and it simply does not work as advertised. And Tesla is aware.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Upvote 0

When you say early, how early? My 2021 Model S Plaid suspension worked fine, and I picked it up in August of 2021. My 2022 Model S Plaid (late May, 2022) also works fine.

Reactions: lowtek
Upvote 0
My suspension seems to be fine, somewhere between my old 85D with air and Wifey's MB560.

However, I can discern no difference in ride between sport and comfort. ARNR is more apparent by comparison.

Steve may be on to something, although please consider due to software and hardware continuing changes, individual cars suspensions may vary.

Upvote 0
My suspension seems to be fine, somewhere between my old 85D with air and Wifey's MB560.

However, I can discern no difference in ride between sport and comfort. ARNR is more apparent by comparison.
These seem to be incongruous statements. Your suspension is fine but you feel no difference in ride modes? That is, by definition, the problem.
Steve may be on to something, although please consider due to software and hardware continuing changes, individual cars suspensions may vary.
If you watched Steve’s video you would see how this impacts all vehicles in the fleet. There is no software variable here.

Upvote 0
No issues here, definite difference between modes.

Something to consider, the lower the suspension the tighter the ride regardless of the settings. I don't notice much of a difference in low. Normal ride height I notice a distinct difference, so much in fact that it smooths out otherwise horrible ride on I-65 where otherwise I would have to slow down or change lanes.

Assuming the low ride height is always stiffer so you don't bottom out the body.

Wifey has a 2023 inbound so we'll compare the two.

Upvote 0
These seem to be incongruous statements. Your suspension is fine but you feel no difference in ride modes? That is, by definition, the problem.

If you watched Steve’s video you would see how this impacts all vehicles in the fleet. There is no software variable here.

By fine, I mean the ride is acceptable quality, not that the suspension works as intended.

Did watch the vid, still hoping there is some inconsistency in the fleet, and that some cars actually work as intended, which would give us a path forward.

I have very few miles on the car, and I need to look into this further.

Reactions: glide
Upvote 0
When you say early, how early? My 2021 Model S Plaid suspension worked fine, and I picked it up in August of 2021. My 2022 Model S Plaid (late May, 2022) also works fine.
The adaptive suspension in my August 2019 car also seems to be working fine with noticeable differences between the settings. It is more comfortable than the fixed-damping plus suspension, but as a result is a little less responsive. Tested both cars after swapping my 20" wheels from one car to the other.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
I was having the same question when I got the S. Every time I swap between Comfort and Sport I could never tell the difference and then I came across this thread. So I decided to give it some kind of objective testing to see if the adaptive suspension is actually working.

So, instead of swapping between the modes in random succession, I decided to drive in comfort on a daily basis. The more I drove in comfort, the more I started noticing the car was driving softer. Maybe this was a placebo, I don't know.

On the highway I can feel like the S is gliding. The softness is no where near what a Mercedes would achieve, but enough to smooth out rough surfaces to make it comfortable. It could not smooth out big potholes or bumps but most of the drive does feel smoother.

The smoothness becomes much obvious as soon as you swap the suspension to Sport after driving in comfort for a long time, and you can feel the suspension stiffening and the ride becoming more harder. I can especially tell the different when I drive over a railway track which I cross every single time I have to leave my house. I am almost regularly driving in comfort now. The suspension numbers also align with what I see. There is more compression and rebound in comfort compared to sport.

So, objectively speaking from what I have noticed, comfort does make the car more softer compared to Sport.
I also ride on the Aero 19s with winter tires right now. So I will see how it does once I get summers on 20s later this year.

I feel like, Tesla is being very conservative in the comfort dampening, probably to save the suspension from premature wear and failure.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and tm1v2
Upvote 0
There is a noticeable difference between the modes on my non-plaid Model S. There’s lots of sections on roads by me that have a bend and a dip. Driving at speed on comfort the car will bounce and sway, a bit more aggressive and the car will feel really unsettled. Comfort mode really just felt like a boat getting rocked around to me. Driving around Sport mode would be quite a bit less, but still opted for advanced mode and firmest/sport. I drove in that setting most of the time until I changed out the rear sway bar and now I’m happy driving in all modes but the firmest is a bit much for just cruising around now.

Upvote 0
There isn’t enough data yet, but so far it seems like everyone with a working system has a Plaid. Does anyone out there with a refreshed model S Long Range have a noticeable mode change?
I have 2022 Model S and there is no mode change. Just purchased. Took it to service center where the kept it over night and test drove extetensively they said. Told me everything is working correctly, even though there is no difference and the ride is worse than my 2015 Model S. They had me test drive a new 2023 Model S and indeed it was the same. No difference and very poor dampening.. those three settings are a scam.

Upvote 0
If it makes anyone feel any better, my Lamborghini has a Koni adaptive suspension with 4 dampening settings and an auto mode and there’s no noticeable difference in any of the settings, and that car costs $400k.
I really don’t know what the Tesla system is capable of, but the problem is that they haven’t even tried yet! NONE of the physical settings they are using open the valves enough to soften the ride. Please see the thread “Physical measurements of variable suspension show that you’re NOT getting the ride you call for “. It contains a 9 minute video showing the proof of this.
I can’t understand why so few forum members have seen this thread or watched the video. It’s been up for two months and only about 150 people have seen it. Too bad, because it shows physically measured proof that the system has a fatal flaw.

Reactions: pvdoug
Upvote 0
I really don’t know what the Tesla system is capable of, but the problem is that they haven’t even tried yet! NONE of the physical settings they are using open the valves enough to soften the ride. Please see the thread “Physical measurements of variable suspension show that you’re NOT getting the ride you call for “. It contains a 9 minute video showing the proof of this.
I can’t understand why so few forum members have seen this thread or watched the video. It’s been up for two months and only about 150 people have seen it. Too bad, because it shows physically measured proof that the system has a fatal flaw.
Ugh. No. It works fine and there is a distinct difference in ride quality and handling but it’s does matter what your ride height is, the lower the tighter the ride so you don’t bottom out the suspension.

Put your car in standard height, find a really bumpy road, slide ride to comfort (left), go over the bumpy road, then slide it to the right and do it again.

Try with high and low ride heights and you’ll see what I mean.

Upvote 0
I watched the video but disagree that the system is not doing anything. The shock valving is also just one part of the equation, and you're only looking at it from an electronic standpoint. The valves may not need to open as much as you believe they need to in order to adjust the damping. If you think the car is too stiff, perhaps you just don't like the spring rates?

If anything I think the new system is a little spongy sometimes, even on sport. The performance plus suspension on the earlier cars had fixed damping and it was pretty firm, but very solid and reassuring with no oscillations over bumps. It was not as comfortable or flexible, but when pushing the car, I had more confidence in the old plus setup than the adaptive suspension.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
For those in doubt of Steve's findings or statements, why don't you try to meet up with him the next time you're in Ann Arbor and I'm sure he'll let you see for yourselves that something is not right with his suspension. This would be especially helpful for those who have adaptive dampening systems that are working properly.

Upvote 0
I’ve started a petition to show Tesla the breadth of this issue. If you’ve got a problem with your suspension, sign it! The petition will go to Tesla executives. Also, send a link to the petition to everyone you know who owns a Model S or X. Be a part of the effort to get this problem fixed…. We CAN do it!

Reactions: aerodyne and pvdoug
Upvote 0