Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show of hands… Adaptive Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many new Model S owners out there can actually FEEL the difference between “Sport” and “Comfort “? I know I can’t.… even though Tesla Service says it is functioning normally. No matter what I do with the suspension controls, my ride is the same… punishingly harsh. Yet, from these forums and YouTube, I see that many of you think the suspension is great. As this is probably one of the most sophisticated suspensions ever put in a car, I have trouble believing that mine is “functioning normally “. I think the key objective question here is “can you actually FEEL a difference in ride quality when you change suspension modes?” (By ”feel” I mean you KNOW it changed, if you just THINK it changed then it didn’t). It would really help me and, I know, a number of others out there to find out if our suspensions are screwed up or if that’s just the way they are. Thanks for any input you can provide.

No, you can't.

I have no doubt some have issues with their suspension but this isn't a wide spread issue ... the internet is disproportionately loud ... 3 people can make it sound like 3 million ...

If you think you have an issue schedule a service appointment.
Agreed. I believe Steve may have issues with his car, but just this morning I was messing with my suspension while driving across a rather rutted highway and the difference between even Sport and Comfort is absolutely massive.

Reactions: serendipitous
Upvote 0
No suspension problem with mine. Big difference between sport and comfort, even greater on track mode! My biggest gripe with the suspension is that there is no easy way to instantly\effortlessly switch between comfort and sport.

Using the touchscreen during full attentive driving is about worthless. On a bumpy or twisty road surface, virtually impossible.

Upvote 0
No suspension problem with mine. Big difference between sport and comfort, even greater on track mode! My biggest gripe with the suspension is that there is no easy way to instantly\effortlessly switch between comfort and sport.

Using the touchscreen during full attentive driving is about worthless. On a bumpy or twisty road surface, virtually impossible.

Anyone know if the SEXY buttons can be programmed to change the suspension settings?

Upvote 0
No, you can't.

I have no doubt some have issues with their suspension but this isn't a wide spread issue ... the internet is disproportionately loud ... 3 people can make it sound like 3 million ...

If you think you have an issue schedule a service appointment.

Use the power of the internet yourself by starting a counter-petition to stop Steve from requesting improvements to the suspension 🤣

Upvote 0
Anyone know if the SEXY buttons can be programmed to change the suspension settings?

I was literally wondering the same thing just yesterday… I looked into it and it doesn’t look like it currently.

Upvote 0
The suspension on my 2022 MS is terrible. Anything that Steve or anyone else can do to improve that suspension would be greatly appreciated. For those of you with cars with cars that do not have this problem, I am happy for you.
You riding in low or normal? Try normal with the settings to the left.

Seems like everybody I've talked to expects too much at the low setting ... there isn't enough travel to dampen much but it's still light years ahead of 3/Y in low ...

Upvote 0

Seems like everybody I've talked to expects too much at the low setting ... there isn't enough travel to dampen much but it's still light years ahead of 3/Y in low ...
I didn’t notice any difference in ride comfort between Medium and Low. All the comfort comes from setting it to… Comfort. Either way this isn’t Lincoln Town Car comfy.

Upvote 0
I was literally wondering the same thing just yesterday… I looked into it and it doesn’t look like it currently.

I heard back from Enhance Automotive that makes the SEXY buttons, and they said:

Yes, we do have this option in mind, and we will start working on it in the upcoming months. Stay tuned for that. :)

Follow us on social media @enhauto to be notified of the latest news. Stay tuned!

Best Regards,
Enhance Automotive
www.enhauto.com

Upvote 0
I heard back from Enhance Automotive that makes the SEXY buttons, and they said:

Yes, we do have this option in mind, and we will start working on it in the upcoming months. Stay tuned for that. :)

Follow us on social media @enhauto to be notified of the latest news. Stay tuned!

Best Regards,
Enhance Automotive
www.enhauto.com
I read that as, “No, it’s not coming.” 😅

Reactions: mcirish and TLLMRRJ
Upvote 0

With air, the spring rate will actually be a bit higher with the car in a higher ride height, assuming you're not hitting the bumpstops in a lower ride height. To raise the car, the system basically increases the spring rate and leaves the "spring" length the same. I don't think the difference is dramatic (likely 10% or less) but low may actually be a bit more comfortable. I'm not sure if the compression/rebound damping tuning is any different in the different ride heights though. To your original point though, the ride height setting is still worth experimenting with.

Upvote 0

I have traveled at all settings. I

I have driven in comfort, standard and sport. Also, low and medium. I would run in high if I could. I have set my 19 inch tires to 36 psi until I realized that was dangerous. The suspension on my 22MS is poor, worse than any car I have ever had. And I have had only Hondas for forty years. When I go over speed bumps it is an embarrassment. There are those that assume that because their cars have good suspensions, we all do. That is not the case. I am not a complainer type. Many others have had the same issue and not just in this blog. A Tesla mechanic has told me that other people have complained about this also. I am supportive of anyone that can possibly produce a fix for this flaw.

Upvote 0
How many new Model S owners out there can actually FEEL the difference between “Sport” and “Comfort “? I know I can’t.… even though Tesla Service says it is functioning normally. No matter what I do with the suspension controls, my ride is the same… punishingly harsh. Yet, from these forums and YouTube, I see that many of you think the suspension is great. As this is probably one of the most sophisticated suspensions ever put in a car, I have trouble believing that mine is “functioning normally “. I think the key objective question here is “can you actually FEEL a difference in ride quality when you change suspension modes?” (By ”feel” I mean you KNOW it changed, if you just THINK it changed then it didn’t). It would really help me and, I know, a number of others out there to find out if our suspensions are screwed up or if that’s just the way they are. Thanks for any input you can provide.
I have a 22 MSLR and the comfort mode feels bouncy with little damping and the sport mode is too much damping. After 12k miles it seems that it got less enjoyable to drive. Other than your PWM investigation there is virtually no information out there on the electrical operation of the damper control valves. I do suspect that 0 to 100% represents low to high damping and hope to eventually do real-time capture of the dynamic settings if they can be found on the CAN bus.

Upvote 0
OMG the reports on the Model S from the refresh on are so disappointing. They range from this suspension harshness, to the bad inside tire wear problem, to the three different severe front vibration issues...each of which have multiple dedicated threads here on TMC. My 2017 S75 RWD has none of these issues. It is the smoothest ride. I think I have the unicorn S. I have wanted to upgrade many times, but now I'm thinking I will keep buying 8 year extended warrenties until I die.

Reactions: David29
Upvote 0
I have a 22 MSLR and the comfort mode feels bouncy with little damping and the sport mode is too much damping. After 12k miles it seems that it got less enjoyable to drive. Other than your PWM investigation there is virtually no information out there on the electrical operation of the damper control valves. I do suspect that 0 to 100% represents low to high damping and hope to eventually do real-time capture of the dynamic settings if they can be found on the CAN bus.

My experience as well. Auto seems to be the best compromise, but the ride quality is far from its competitors.

Reactions: roc-noc
Upvote 0

Adaptive Suspension Dampinglink

Each air spring contains a fixed primary oil flow path that is internal to the damper. In addition, the dampers have a secondary, external oil flow path, which can be controlled in real time by electric solenoids. Rebound damping (wheel moving down from vehicle body) and compression damping (wheel moving up toward vehicle body) are controlled independently. As damping only resists motion – it cannot create force without motion. Adjusting damping does not move the vehicle up or down, it just affects how much resistive force the damper applies as the wheels move up and down relative to the body.

damper_cross_section.jpg
Cross section of adaptive damper and solenoids
Note
The valve shown here has slightly different construction from ours, namely with respect to the spring and solenoid plunger.
The adaptive air suspension system can be set to 4 different settings:

• COMFORT: provides a gentler ride for a relaxed driving experience
  • AUTO: adjusts to a wide range of roads and driving styles, providing a fluid yet well controlled ride.
  • SPORT: provides a firmer, more controlled ride that increases driver engagement and connection to the road.
  • ADVANCED: Fine tune the suspension by dragging individual sliders to adjust Ride Comfort and Handling.
Note
Air suspension checks air spring pressure to estimate vehicle mass and adjust damping control accordingly.

Solenoid Valve Controllink

Each solenoid valve is pulse width modulation (PWM) controlled. By controlling the PWM voltage, the current through the solenoids is controlled. Current through the solenoid is inversely proportional to the oil flow through the solenoid. The higher the PWM voltage, the smaller the oil flow. This means that 100% PWM signal corresponds to a completely closed solenoid and therefore to a very stiff damping behavior. Also 0% PWM signal corresponds to a completely open solenoid and therefore to a very soft damping behavior.

Note
This means that when a solenoid valve connector is loose, or the wiring is compromised the damping behavior will be very soft, but even in this condition the vehicle is safe to drive and is completely controllable.

Continuous Controllink

Continuous control refers to “full state” damping. When continuous control is active, the system is functioning normally. Continuous control relies on multiple inputs to be fully functional (for example, height sensors, required CAN signal inputs, etc.).

End Stop Protectionlink

Tesla Air Suspension ECU uses ride height sensors to learn the distance to end of travel as the vehicle drives and encounters bumps and dips. Learned end stops are reset when Ride height calibration is performed. As the damper approaches the end of travel, damper current is increased to make the damper stiffer and to soften the impact of bottoming or topping out.

• Informative
Reactions: mcirish
Upvote 0